Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I'm not sure what's causing it but when using my CPAP with a humidifier, I wake up numerous times with a out of control cough. So now instead of my snoring waking my wife up, I wake her up with a nasty cough. The cough is so bad that I have to remove the CPAP and go sleep in another room. One way or another I'm not solving my sleep apnea problem. Somebody please offer a solution, I'm constantly exhausted and can't take it anymore!

Views: 14540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps the omeprazole isn't strong enough any longer.

Alan Gurwitz said:

I do have acid reflux. However I have been on Omeprazole (generic form of Prilosec) prescription and CPAP for quite sometime and have-not coughed until recently. I take one Omeprazole in the morning and one at bedtime. I don't get heartburn anymore so I assume it is working. I did not know that CPAP can make acid reflux worse. I guess I need to look into that. Thanks.

I use raditine or however you spell it, as acid reflux med (I cut back on white bread and it helped with the acid reflux) but I am telling you if you are coughing try taking the white filter out and getting rid of it.  Just use the pollen filter.  You could be allergic to it and if you are having problems with acid reflux the way to check if its causing the cough is to prop yourself way up and sleep that way all night.  No cough = acid problems.  If not your back to the drawing board.  One more thing to consider is any of your setup made out of latex?  Oh and are you using "DISTILLED" water?  And one last thing, only use vinegar soak and mild soap to clean your gear.  I knew someone that used to clean his mask with CLR!  Do NOT use ANY clorine based solution to clean your gear.  Clorine is not a breatheable substance, not unless you want to die.

I used to use Protonix but cutting back again on bread helped me out, I just use whole grain wraps found in the tortilla section of the grocery store.  My urologist said I was high in oxalates and needed to cut back on them.  I had to have 5 kidney stones ripped out of me the last year.  Very painful but cutting back on oxalates cut back on my heartburn.  Chocolate, Tea, Potatoes (I can eat red Potatoes), Whole Grain ANYTHING just about, Green Leafy Vegetables, Like Swiss Chard, spinach are all OUT.  Anything green is out.  No nightshade plants, Eggplant, Tomato, Papaya and so on.  They have low oxylate diets online, basically all you can eat is junkfood. 

Asthma and Acid reflux go hand in hand could be another reason for the cough.  If you can hear acid in the back of your throat crackling like a bunch of pop rocks when you open your mouth you should tell your doctor.  Acid reflux can wear the lining out of your esophagus.  And if your flap gets damaged from it you will have to sleep sitting up the rest of your life.

Hi Alan,

Are you on BP medicine??   Ace inhibiters 

Soap residue , vinegar, neighbors wood stove smoke, cooking smells, dust , acid reflux

(gave me a cough) .

Solutions : use soap with no perfumes , vinegar  (needs to be rinsed out well) Air purifier with activated charcole filter /ioniser  , omeprizole, not eating at least 2 hrs before bed , Proping the head of the bed up (start low) ,Switching BP meds, loosing a few lbs. Heated humidifier with distilled water ( not all brands" taste" the same) ,Clean intake filter.  See a gastroenterologist if it continues for an endoscopy. Good Sleep,Chris

The aroma therapy pads (and I've never used them) are essential oils that you place on a pad that sits by the air intake (filter).  Try looking at http://pur-sleep.com/ though you can get them eslewhere.  Please don't ever put anything in your humidifier water chamber besides distilled water.  This has never been recommended by a manufacturer

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service