Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Hi! Ready to Rock This Forum?
Thank you for visiting the SleepGuide discussion forum. We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from patients and pros all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on Sleep Apnea. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

SleepGuide Code of Conduct
Okay, I know we said we want you to have the freedom to express yourselves. And we do. But a few rules never hurt, right?
• Be nice! No flaming. Many posters come here for information, not to be called names.
• Please respect the different backgrounds and education of posters—especially when it comes to diverse perspectives on Sleep Apnea from patients and pros alike.
• No one needs to hear you correct them on proper grammar and spelling. Let’s talk Sleep Apnea, not the difference between affect and effect.
• Wanna talk about religion and race? Well, we don’t. We wanna talk about Sleep Apnea.
• Don’t gang up with other posters against one person. It’s not nice!
• Did I mention you should…talk about Sleep Apnea? Cool! Now get to it and have fun!

Views: 1720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul, I think you should post this as a new discussion. There are many on the forum with ideas on how to obtain a neew machine at little or no cost. A local A.W.A.K.E. chapter may be (http://www.sleepapnea.org/awake/index.html) helpful. Many people have found machines through Craigs list or local thrift shops or newspaper classifieds. Cpapauction.com has many machines for sale for very resonable prices, much below retail. Good Luck and please start a new discussion to keep us posted and perhaps get some help. Occasionally on this site or cpaptalk.com someone has a used machine they are willing to give away.
Mary Z.

3A86451&xg_source=msg_com_forum#2549090Comment86416">

Paul Raymond Weagley Jr. said:
I will need to return my cpap because I lost my insureance.& my job because of my health.So look's like I will go back to what I was doing before I got my cpap unit,that was nothing.That's life for me..
new to this forum. relatively new to apnea tx. I'm a bc survivor, spiney and hosehead. Mucked around with different masks, oral appliance, machine route now settled on swift fx, s9 or intelllipap and going to do nasal surgery to help with breathing. I'm NYC area.
flash
Welcome ,flash. I don't know what a bc survivor, or a spiney is. Good luck with your surgery.
Mary Z.

flash said:
new to this forum. relatively new to apnea tx. I'm a bc survivor, spiney and hosehead. Mucked around with different masks, oral appliance, machine route now settled on swift fx, s9 or intelllipap and going to do nasal surgery to help with breathing. I'm NYC area.
flash
Hi, my name is Naomi, and two month ago, I found out my son has sleep apnea, he 11 years old. and i don't know how to help him, he get up and the middle of the night and said he feel like he going to die, his chest is closing up on him and he cant breath. during school hour, he fall to sleep three times a day. we have any appointment for the ent doctor. I need help today, i dont want my son to die and his sleep, please help me, help my son. We live and new york city.
Sounds like you need to see his sleep doctor as well as the ent. He might be developing asthma. Only a layperson, so take that with a grain of salt. He may need his pressures adjusted and be tested for narcolepsy. Are you able to check his daily efficacy numbers (AI and AHI)? That night give us a hint as to what is going on.
I would call his sleep doc today. This is definitely not normal. Good luck.
Mary Z.

Naomi Maldonado said:
Hi, my name is Naomi, and two month ago, I found out my son has sleep apnea, he 11 years old. and i don't know how to help him, he get up and the middle of the night and said he feel like he going to die, his chest is closing up on him and he cant breath. during school hour, he fall to sleep three times a day. we have any appointment for the ent doctor. I need help today, i dont want my son to die and his sleep, please help me, help my son. We live and new york city.

Hi there! My name is Tracy and I just joined today.  I am living in Knoxville, TN and I have had Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea long enough that I now have Right ventricular heart failure! I also have pulmonary hypertension, my pressure is like 68/20 which is extremely high because the normal is 24/12.  I'm 46 and was told yesterday I will need open heart surgery to repair two bad valves!  I have actually been diagnosed with 25 diseases & conditions & normally I hate telling this to anyone but I'm sure some of you will understand what I'm going through.  I've already had 6 sleep studies done but the last doc wanted me to use a cpap set at a level that took my breath away and he refused to lower the level.  He said you either use it at this level or don't use it at all.  So I have never used a mask of any kind. But I go for a new sleep study on the 30th of this month because my doc says I should without a doubt be using a cpap of some kind.  I feel like I'm rambling but I guess that's the only way you'll get to know about me.  I think this is enough for now... ask any question within reason and I will answer.  Thanks for "listening"

Tracy

Hi, my name is Lucille Duddy and I'm living in the Boston Area and I'm originally from the Boston area. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for over seven years. It may be more but I would rather not go back in time. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in the year 2000. I fell asleep in the doctor's office and scared the pants off the nurse who screamed for the doctor. I never had such service before except in the ER for the asthma or other issues that have come up.

How many people here have allergies?

How many people have sinus problems

How many people have asthma.

Thank you.

Hi, I'm Lynn and live in New Mexico. I was just put on a cpap mask a few weeks ago and am trying to learn as much as I can.
Hi, I'm Jenny and I was just diagnosed with OSA. My AHI is ~40 and, apparently, I desaturate badly while I sleep. I'm not a loud snorer so this was kind of a surprise to me. All I knew was that I was tired a lot, which I thought was from depression and the medications I take.

So now the doctor says I have to get fitted with a CPAP machine and, if I want to see my kids grow up, use it every night. I'm supposed to go to the DME store next week. What kinds of questions should I ask? I'm a side sleeper with sort of a receding chin -- any mask suggestions? I don't want to fail at this.

Jenny, what kind of machine did your doc prescribe?  One thing you want is a data capable machine which can give you information on the effectiveness of your therapy.  These machines show leak, AHI, AI, plus the new ones give much more information.  The DME should help with the fitting of the mask taking your facial structure into consideration.

Yes, the machine needs to be used all night, every night, plus naps for you to get benefit from your therapy.  Your sleep apnea is severe.

Start by reading the FAQ available from the front page.

Mary Z.

Jenny, also on the first page you see under "discussions" are some featured discussions which may be of help to you.  The articles are also good . There is a wealth of information available on the site.

Mary Z said:

Jenny, what kind of machine did your doc prescribe?  One thing you want is a data capable machine which can give you information on the effectiveness of your therapy.  These machines show leak, AHI, AI, plus the new ones give much more information.  The DME should help with the fitting of the mask taking your facial structure into consideration.

Mary, thanks for the response. I don't know what machine the doctor has prescribed -- he said he'd call the data in to the DME supplier he uses and they would contact me. I'm a little uncomfortable with that, I would like to be able to pick my own supplier, but I am going along with it for now. I guess I kind of wanted to know if there were any lemons to avoid. I'm really scared and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to be successful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service