Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

I am the type of person that usually "gives in" to the needs of others...I have always allowed whoever is riding in the car with me to CHOOSE the radio station...force of habit...been this way all my life.

My husband suffers from panic disorder and I have a CPAP machine...I finally MOVED out of our master bedroom to another room on the other side of the house because of his complaints that it is too noisy.  I don't believe it is that bad, but I just don't want to hear the complaining.  He is getting mighty comfortable in our kingbed. I am in a twin bed on the other side of the house. 

Does our "intimate" life suffer....OH YEAH...His sleep patterns, he probably could use a CPAP too...however, he will never go in to get his sleep problems analyzed. 

Another factor, I have Multiple Sclerosis...yeah....I ain't kidding.

I've been diagnosed for about 24 yrs now.  I am mobile and only have problems with stamina...for the most part, I take care of the home. Quit working 2003 because I was exacerbating too often.

I'm venting.  I am not real happy about all of this but DUE to someone else's struggles with FEAR ...

Well...I don't know.

I would love to throw the CPAP out...but I do sleep better with it than without.

oh help....blessings to all!

Mary

Views: 1180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This cheered me up.  I feel like I dodged the bullet by not getting married.   Most everyone I know is divorced anyway.

hey mary, dr. mick here....talk to your sleep doc about an oral appliance.  do your part to get yourself in the best shape possible, but the oral appliance therapy is extremely effective for under 30 ahi.  if you are higher than that an combination therapy could help possibly lower the pressure on the cpap so less leaks, go to my website drmickdds.com or aadsm.com for referrals,   hang in there, happy sleeping, remember you need treatment to save your life and improve it's quality.  best tm

amen to that!

mountainman said:

The noise thing is just an excuse to get you out of the room . After I moved to the guest room I noticed my wife leaving the tv on in the bedroom or maybe a fan running all night . No one should have to give up their bedroom . I now have mine back -- divorce took care of that !! Spoiled people get what they deserve .

this is where I was leading...There is a DDS in BR that could fit me with a TAP appliance... and I never considered that lowering the pressure and the appliance together would work....Thanks for the help!

tim mickiewicz d.d.s. said:

hey mary, dr. mick here....talk to your sleep doc about an oral appliance.  do your part to get yourself in the best shape possible, but the oral appliance therapy is extremely effective for under 30 ahi.  if you are higher than that an combination therapy could help possibly lower the pressure on the cpap so less leaks, go to my website drmickdds.com or aadsm.com for referrals,   hang in there, happy sleeping, remember you need treatment to save your life and improve it's quality.  best tm

Mary-

Piss on him. You have chosen to save your life. 

My wife PUSHED me to step up and save mine. That was three years ago, and I feel better than the Teeter Hang-ups man!

You might consider throwing his selfish ass out of the MBR and YOU take the big bed.

Gut-up, and good luck.

Bob

For shame....you are missing out...as much as I am complaining.....I've been married happily 31 yrs this August...3 beautiful daughters....2 great son in laws....3 grandkids with the promise of more to come...

Mike said:

This cheered me up.  I feel like I dodged the bullet by not getting married.   Most everyone I know is divorced anyway.

Just wanted to say that CPAP macihine should never, I mean never be placed on the floor, Only exception would be that you change the filers more often and that you are using a super fine filter because that is where all the allergens in the house can concentrate and that is the floor, worse if it is carpeted.  Also placing a pillow over doesn't sound good either, the pillow could get nocked and blocked the intake.  It may never completely block it but a restricted intake causes the machine to work harder and even heat the air and wear the machine out much faster.

Tom Felts said:

Hi Mary,

I have a wifw who complained of the high pitched "squeal" out of my CPAP and it also annoyed me.

I simply put a pillow over the darn thing at night (machine is on the floor). It cured it and all is well.

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked. Hope this helps!

I put my machine as low to the floor as I can, but I use a 15(?) quart plastic storage bin turned upside down as a "table" for it.  I like my humidity set pretty high, just short of rainout.  The lower placement helps with condensation falling back into the humidifier tank.

When I had cats, I could turn the bin over, put all equipment into the bin, and seal it for the day...no little cat bites or nail punctures while I was gone to work.  I do clean my filter fairly often, and replace it more frequently than recommended.  I also have allergies and take a daily antihistamine, plus use a nasal wash. 

Now, as to noise...some people are bothered by the exhaust noise, or even the breeze it causes...even ME!  I cannot stand the thing blowing on me at all.  I also have to play with my nasal pillows to get them placed JUST RIGHT.  I have a small nick in my right nare and it will sometimes whistle.  I've wondered about using a small bit of a Mack's silicone ear plug to help close that little leak, but was just given a full faced mask to try for a week...so maybe another time.

Mary, I wish you all the best.  I am so lucky to have a guy who uses CPAP himself.  He is an early user, too, who has logged over 20 years of masking up each night.  That was a definite PLUS--and his adult sons think it is "cute" when we have our matching machines set out!

Karl Grissom said:

Just wanted to say that CPAP macihine should never, I mean never be placed on the floor, Only exception would be that you change the filers more often and that you are using a super fine filter because that is where all the allergens in the house can concentrate and that is the floor, worse if it is carpeted.  Also placing a pillow over doesn't sound good either, the pillow could get nocked and blocked the intake.  It may never completely block it but a restricted intake causes the machine to work harder and even heat the air and wear the machine out much faster.

Tom Felts said:

Hi Mary,

I have a wifw who complained of the high pitched "squeal" out of my CPAP and it also annoyed me.

I simply put a pillow over the darn thing at night (machine is on the floor). It cured it and all is well.

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked. Hope this helps!

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm logged in as my DH... having said that, I did push him to get his study done, and I'm glad he's on his BiPap, but I absolutely cannot tolerate the machine while I sleep.  I suspect I have my own issues - self-diagnosed misophonia.  I can only sleep in complete silence.  Believe me, ear plugs don't work, and neither do white/gray/pink noises.  I cannot have one annoying sound drowning out another annoying sound. 

I don't care who gets which room, but unfortunately the BiPap didn't solve all of our problems.  I'm just hoping that he can get reassessed after he looses some weight to see if he still needs it.

As for the appliance - I've heard of it, but it hasn't been discussed at the meetings we've been to.  It'd be great if that could be an option for him.

I've only been on cpap for 8 months but my husband has been very supportive. He saw how badly it had hurt my health and was/is a big encouragement. There are nights that I don’t want to deal with it and he’s the one telling me to try. We have always had an air purifier in our room so there isn’t a noise issue; however I’m not sure that if you’re machine is functioning properly and your mask fits correctly that there would be any noise. I just don’t like the blue light that shines from mine J  If you want to move the machine lower, I found a product. It’s a shelf that attaches to the side of your bed, kind of like a board that goes between your mattress and boxsprings: http://www.cpapholders.com/  Maybe that will work instead of the floor. And I agree with the person that said to kick your husband out to the twin size bed. You’re the one with the body that’s trying to repair itself from sleep apnea damage and that’s just trying to get a good night’s sleep!

Both my wife and I are on C-Pap. I got her on it a few years after we were married. Her snoring and constant movment in the bed was keeping me awake. I almost had to move out of the room. She finally got a sleep study and a C-Pap machine and all is well now. However, while going through mask choices, she was tried on nasil pillows. I have to agree, they are noisy with high pitched wind noise. She eventually ended up on a mask that she is comfortable with. Maybe the answer here is a two parter. One. Maybe you could try a mask. There are all sorts of choices these days and they are considerably quieter than the pillows. Two. He could wear the foam earplugs. I used them before my wife got her C-Pap. If I didn't get to sleep before her, I never did. They helped immensely.

I am not married but can appreciate the problem CPAP can have on a marriage.  One of CPAPs selling points, aside from health, is the stoping of sorning and is suppposed to be a benifit for your partner, but I haven't seen a machine that isn't noisey.  Mine makes this anoying winning almost Darth Vader sound and it is supposed to be one of the quitest. 

I can't image they are very sexy either for those intimate moments.;-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service