Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Winter has hit us -- damp and miserable.  Temperatures have fluctuated between single digits and 40's.  Of course depending upon the temperature outside depends how warm the house is.  We live in an old drafty house and have no intentions on moving.  Trying to keep our heat bills reasonable the theromostat is set for around 68.  I like it hot when I sleep.  Hate the cool air.  I have found that this winter my throat has been sore -- not sore enough for meds -- but sore none the less.  I have post nasal drip and a cough as well.  This has been going on for about 3 weeks.  Any way without the expensive Aussie hose to warm the air.  I do not like using the humidifier except in pass over mode due to asthma.  Open for suggestions.

Two weeks ago, I had a spell at school.  My aides became concerned and sent me to the nurse, although I didn't feel bad except for a slightly weird headache.  The school health aide took it and told me to call the doctor as it was way up.  Called the doctor and she had me take an extra blood pressure pill.  It brought it down.  A day or two latter same thing happened and when I called the doctor she told me to increase my blood pressure meds in the a.m.  Had an appointment today and she has added another med to the already two I take.  Today it was 160 over 90.   Hope the new med helps. 

Views: 3463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sleepycarol, sure hope your BP is better with the new med and increase on board.  I know that sore throat/post-nasal drip stuff is miserable, but not a visit to the doc miserable.  Here's hoping you feel better soon.

Mary Z.

Bummer, SleepyCarol. I'm running into a somewhat opposite problem. The doggone meds have dropped my blood pressure too low. I sure hope you get "stabilized" w/comfortable BP and feeling better!!!

Can you take your hose under the covers w/you?? That should warm the air up some.

Hi Carol, How are your numbers ?  if they are getting out of sorts I know when my leakage is high my AHI number goes up.

My hose has a home made cover sticking it under the covers put too much drag on it when I moove causing leaks and waking me up.Have you checked your input air filter ? With the windows closed and heat on ,old houses are prone to dust and in door air quality issues. I live in one too. Good Sleep,Chris

I have a hose cover on it.  I have my hose routed upwards since I use the Headrest and it comes up over the forehead.  My machine sits on my headboard and routed up. 

Part of the problem is probably due to the stupid weather -- it fluctuates so darn much at times.  Today it was in the 50's here. It is amazing at times when I think about our summers being in the triple digits and then in the winter we often have spells of negative double digit temps. 

I started the new meds today -- although I was hesitant as it had a warning about not taking it if you have asthma -- which I do and it said not to take it if you have a sulfa allergy -- which I do.  I contemplated waiting but the doctor is closed now until Monday.  Thursday is her usual day off and since tomorrow is New Years Eve the office will be closed.  I took my blood pressure this afternoon and it was 153 over 92.    The new med is HCTZ (25mg) -- a water pill.  I was on two 50 mg tabs of metoprolol (Lopressor) which was increased to two in the am and one at night, and 300 mg of Avapro.   

I have been having lots of issues with back, hip, knee, and ankle pain.  I don't know if that pain could impact my blood pressure.

Will continue to monitor my blood pressure at least for a few days.

YES, pain most certainly CAN elevate blood pressure. My husband has lived w/back pain for years. He was on 2 BP meds when he finally let me take him to Mayo Clinic where he had his last surgery. They took him off of one of his BP meds and told him he should see a vast improvement in his BP w/o all the pain he had been living with. And they were right. Its been 16 years and only this year has he had to change to a BP med w/diuretic.

Interesting Judy.  I will try to remember to ask doc next time I go up there. 

Although I am dead set against surgery on my back.  I have two brothers and a sister that have endured multiple surgeries without success.   Each has used different doctors -- with the same diagnosis being given and no luck in finding relief for their chronic pain. 

If they would have had any degree of success I probably wouldn't be so hard headed about it.  I have found I have peaks and valleys with the pain.  The majority of the time over the counter meds will work -- and not taken regularly.  Then I will take a spell where for several months I will have intense pain in the back, legs, hips, knees, and ankle/foot.  That is what I am dealing with now.  At this point I do not want to go on stronger pain meds other than over the counter meds. 

Have you considered a pain management clinic?? Our neighbor has had EXCELLENT results w/the epidural shots given at our local pain clinic. It is a series of up to three. He only needed two and didn't have to return for the third altho he was told he can go back for the third shot any time w/in year. I've talked to others who have had similar results altho most have done the entire series of three shots.

Well, I have finally had to have my blood pressure meds adjusted.  I am now on three meds and the verdict is still out if the combination is going to work. 

I was at the doctor's a little over a week ago and she is still not happy since even with the additional meds it is still running a tad higher than she would like.  She did blood work on me and called me last Monday and confirmed that I am now a diabetic.  She has me on metformin (unsure of spelling) to see if that helps.  I have been trying really hard this week to watch more closely what I eat -- but then it has been so much easier as we have been snowed in since last Monday when they dismissed school at noon. 

Finding THE right BP med(s) and THE right dosages can be a discouraging and difficult battle. Hubby only consented to surgery when his right leg would just go numb and buckle under him. He could be walking okay and then .... no leg and down he would go. PAIN drives up your BP and meds have a tough time holding it down as long as you are fighting pain. (((hugs))). I sure hope you find some relief and some success w/the pain and BP, Carol!!!

Hi Carol, Sorry to hear about your diabetes . What are your numbers running? (AHI AI ) If titration is poor my pain is more.When I had high leakage I was not getting good pressure and felt poorly. Good Sleep,Chris 

sleepycarol said:

Well, I have finally had to have my blood pressure meds adjusted.  I am now on three meds and the verdict is still out if the combination is going to work. 

I was at the doctor's a little over a week ago and she is still not happy since even with the additional meds it is still running a tad higher than she would like.  She did blood work on me and called me last Monday and confirmed that I am now a diabetic.  She has me on metformin (unsure of spelling) to see if that helps.  I have been trying really hard this week to watch more closely what I eat -- but then it has been so much easier as we have been snowed in since last Monday when they dismissed school at noon. 

I generally haven't felt good this fall/winter.  I have made a few trips to the doctor without gaining much insight into things. 

A couple of years ago I had a complete cardio workup (only thing that wasn't done and I vetoed the idea was the angiogram or whatever it is called where they go into the groin artery with a scope).  Everything checked out great and they couldn't believe it with my weight and family history that my heart was in such good condition and no worries -- except for the high blood pressure.  My mom's blood pressure ran high - despite meds and it appears that we have inherited it from her as my siblings have high blood pressure as well. 

I have lots of shortness of breath (and did when they ran the heart tests).  I do have asthma and lots of allergies.  Back in the fall the doctor ordered a lung function test that came back normal -- so that didn't provide any answers.

I have been using a Resmed Vantage -- which records data, but I don't have a card, nor the reader to track long term numbers.  I know my leak rate has increased (using the LCD screen) since I had a really bad bout of bronchitis earlier this winter.  I am beginning to suspect I maybe doing some mouth breathing as well.

My HI/AHI is running between 1 and 3 with an average of 2.  Not bad as far as numbers goes.

I am hoping if I can stablize my blood pressure, get my blood sugar under control (although those numbers are too bad -- just slightly over the threshold) and my stiffness, soreness, and aches and pains managed that things will improve.  I have an inherited degenerative disc disease and arthitis.  The disc disease has some long name that I don't remember.  Two brothers and my sister have endured multiple surgery that hasn't helped them -- so I am extremely skeptical at this point and have refused to go that route.  I have not tried a pain management clinic and may do some checking into that. 

Hi Carol, I was considering getting MRT or ALCAT blood test for allergic reactions. Have you done either? Was it helpful? Pain stinks.......should be outlawed  ; )

sleepycarol said:

I generally haven't felt good this fall/winter.  I have made a few trips to the doctor without gaining much insight into things. 

A couple of years ago I had a complete cardio workup (only thing that wasn't done and I vetoed the idea was the angiogram or whatever it is called where they go into the groin artery with a scope).  Everything checked out great and they couldn't believe it with my weight and family history that my heart was in such good condition and no worries -- except for the high blood pressure.  My mom's blood pressure ran high - despite meds and it appears that we have inherited it from her as my siblings have high blood pressure as well. 

I have lots of shortness of breath (and did when they ran the heart tests).  I do have asthma and lots of allergies.  Back in the fall the doctor ordered a lung function test that came back normal -- so that didn't provide any answers.

I have been using a Resmed Vantage -- which records data, but I don't have a card, nor the reader to track long term numbers.  I know my leak rate has increased (using the LCD screen) since I had a really bad bout of bronchitis earlier this winter.  I am beginning to suspect I maybe doing some mouth breathing as well.

My HI/AHI is running between 1 and 3 with an average of 2.  Not bad as far as numbers goes.

I am hoping if I can stablize my blood pressure, get my blood sugar under control (although those numbers are too bad -- just slightly over the threshold) and my stiffness, soreness, and aches and pains managed that things will improve.  I have an inherited degenerative disc disease and arthitis.  The disc disease has some long name that I don't remember.  Two brothers and my sister have endured multiple surgery that hasn't helped them -- so I am extremely skeptical at this point and have refused to go that route.  I have not tried a pain management clinic and may do some checking into that. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service