Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Why am I waking up within half an hour to an hour with Auto CPAP

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and new to CPAP.  I recently began using a CPAP in January 2012.  I also did a 1 week test with a auto CPAP to figure out what pressure I needed.  Based on the study, I needed pressure of 9.8.  The test was done with a respironics system.

I was recently switched to a Resmed S9 auto CPAP since I wasn't getting good results with the CPAP.  Since switching, I have been only sleeping between 30 minutes to 3 hours.  If I slept for 3 hours with the auto CPAP, I would wake up within 30 minutes to 1 hour and fall back asleep.  Are there others that have the same problem as far as waking up within 30 mintues to 1 hour after sleeping?  At times when I wake up for the first time, I have a hard time falling back asleep with the mask on.  I don't know why I wake up either.

I currently use the Resmed S9 with the humidifier and swift fx mask.  My settings are at 9.8 minimum and 15 maximum.  I also start with a ramp at 7.8 for 30 minutes.

Anyone?

Views: 3710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spencer L, welcome, I use the same machine only a different mask which doesn't matter. When I started I had a similar problem with the CPAP being too strong for me and changed to the auto. Mine is set at 4-12 and 95% of the time I am under the 12. Maybe the problem you are still getting used to CPAP altogether, it is a big change to your sleep and it doesn't always come together straight away. When you wake up you can turn it off and the ramp should start again. Are there any other issues that maybe waling you up like mask leaks? The other thing you may need to try some sleep aids to help you relax until you get used to CPAP, I take Valerian Forte which is a herb.

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the response!  What pressure were you diagnosed with?  It may be that i am still getting used to CPAP all together.  It's just frustrating as I know it will benefit me in the end and wished I could sleep longer with it.  I do turn off the machine after waking up if I feel the pressure is too high to restart the lower pressure.  Something I forgot to mention earlier is that I sometimes feel congested in one nostril after waking up which is why it's more uncomfortable to fall back asleep with the mask.  I also take 3mg melatonin to fall asleep.  I'll look into the Valerian Forte.   Sounds interesting.  I'll also look into the mask leaks.  When I had the SD card checked last time, there were very little leaks.

Terry Vella said:

Spencer L, welcome, I use the same machine only a different mask which doesn't matter. When I started I had a similar problem with the CPAP being too strong for me and changed to the auto. Mine is set at 4-12 and 95% of the time I am under the 12. Maybe the problem you are still getting used to CPAP altogether, it is a big change to your sleep and it doesn't always come together straight away. When you wake up you can turn it off and the ramp should start again. Are there any other issues that maybe waling you up like mask leaks? The other thing you may need to try some sleep aids to help you relax until you get used to CPAP, I take Valerian Forte which is a herb.
Spencer L, My AHI's at the sleep study were 30 (Servere) and my machine was set at 10 originally and like I said I have an auto CPAP so change change from constant to auto if I want too. I know how you feel about the frustration, I think everyone of us have had to go through it, the one benefit is that you found a site like this with people that know how you 'really' feel and can offer really good advice. One other suggestion, have you mask coming from above your head either from your bed head or a stand the gravity will pull your pillows up instead of down and reduce leaks if you have any. On the congestion you could try nasal drops, I use a full face mask and put a bit of Vicks Vapour rub under my nose and it seems to keep my nostrils open. You sound like you are going to keep at it and I suggest you do, I feel so much better after using CPAP for one year than I have in 49 years. Keep going.

I'm a newbie.

I tell all my interested friends that learning how to sleep with a mask and CPAP is simple but not easy.

In other words, the idea is simple: use pressurized air to keep the breathing passages open while one sleeps. What makes things not so easy are all the other et ceteras, including: the right mask; the right pressure; the right humidity level; the right machine, etc. .

I accept it on faith: If I keep plugging, all will get better. So far, things are better. Because I'm convinced that they could be much better, I keep plugging.

Hi Terry,

I have the mask and tube hanging above me with a cpap hose holder.  I also use a barrel cozy to make the nasal pillows a little more comfortable.   I'm not sure if the Vicks Vapour rub will work for me as I use nasal pillows.  Thanks for the tip though!  I will keep trying.

Terry Vella said:

Spencer L, My AHI's at the sleep study were 30 (Servere) and my machine was set at 10 originally and like I said I have an auto CPAP so change change from constant to auto if I want too. I know how you feel about the frustration, I think everyone of us have had to go through it, the one benefit is that you found a site like this with people that know how you 'really' feel and can offer really good advice. One other suggestion, have you mask coming from above your head either from your bed head or a stand the gravity will pull your pillows up instead of down and reduce leaks if you have any. On the congestion you could try nasal drops, I use a full face mask and put a bit of Vicks Vapour rub under my nose and it seems to keep my nostrils open. You sound like you are going to keep at it and I suggest you do, I feel so much better after using CPAP for one year than I have in 49 years. Keep going.

Zollistar,

Thanks for the encouraging words!
ZolliStar said:

I'm a newbie.

I tell all my interested friends that learning how to sleep with a mask and CPAP is simple but not easy.

In other words, the idea is simple: use pressurized air to keep the breathing passages open while one sleeps. What makes things not so easy are all the other et ceteras, including: the right mask; the right pressure; the right humidity level; the right machine, etc. .

I accept it on faith: If I keep plugging, all will get better. So far, things are better. Because I'm convinced that they could be much better, I keep plugging.

Spencer, I'm glad you posted.  It can be, it seems, a long process getting used to the mask and machine. If you have no objections you may want to try one of the over the counter sleeping aids with benadryl (diphenhydramine).  Benadryl can be found with the allergy products as well as sleep products in the drugstore.  One may be cheaper than the other.  The benadryl can help you sleep longer in some cases.  Something like one of the PM pain relievers will also help with barely perceptible discomfort which may also keep you awake.  Hang in there, it does get better.  If you need a nap during the day don't forget to use your 'PAP.

Good luck, keep us posted.

check with your doctor for any sleep products

Mary Z said:

Spencer, I'm glad you posted.  It can be, it seems, a long process getting used to the mask and machine. If you have no objections you may want to try one of the over the counter sleeping aids with benadryl (diphenhydramine).  Benadryl can be found with the allergy products as well as sleep products in the drugstore.  One may be cheaper than the other.  The benadryl can help you sleep longer in some cases.  Something like one of the PM pain relievers will also help with barely perceptible discomfort which may also keep you awake.  Hang in there, it does get better.  If you need a nap during the day don't forget to use your 'PAP.

I had a similar problem when I was starting out. I have a respironics system and my pressure range started out at 4-11. When starting the air flow was constant, but then within 1/2 hour or so the pressure would begin ramping up and at the same time would begin the rhythmic airflow going along with my breathing. After a few months of working with my doctor, we realized that it was this transition between constant airflow and the rhythmic flow that was waking me up. She upped the minimum setting to 8 and I've been fine ever since. In fact, I think the rhythmic flow actually helps me fall asleep faster. Now it only takes me less than 5 minutes to fall asleep every night as soon as I put on my mask and I generally sleep solid all through the night.

HI Mary,

Thanks for the tip on the benadryl.  I have tried this and it knocks me out where it's hard for me to get up for work.  I used this when I was using the regular CPAP machine.  I remember still getting up and not being able to go back asleep with the mask.  I stopped using it and switched to 3mg melatonin.  I'll give the benadryl a try over the weekend again as I never tried it with the auto CPAP.

Mary Z said:

Thanks 99.

99 said:

check with your doctor for any sleep products

Mary Z said:

Chris,

That's interesting about the rhythmic flow.  Maybe that's what has been bothering me.  Just not sure if the range is set right for me.   It was originally 8 to 15 and I increased the minimum to 9.8 thinking I needed more pressure.  I may lower the minimum pressure.  Thanks!

Chris Larsson said:

I had a similar problem when I was starting out. I have a respironics system and my pressure range started out at 4-11. When starting the air flow was constant, but then within 1/2 hour or so the pressure would begin ramping up and at the same time would begin the rhythmic airflow going along with my breathing. After a few months of working with my doctor, we realized that it was this transition between constant airflow and the rhythmic flow that was waking me up. She upped the minimum setting to 8 and I've been fine ever since. In fact, I think the rhythmic flow actually helps me fall asleep faster. Now it only takes me less than 5 minutes to fall asleep every night as soon as I put on my mask and I generally sleep solid all through the night.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service