Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Brendan Duffy posted a status
"How did you slhttp://blog.aastweb.org/winners-and-losers-food-for-thought-sleep-and-athletic-success?utm_campaign=subscribers&utm_source=hs_"
Jul 9
Pat Kniel updated their profile
Jul 7
ZolliStar replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"I'm wondering: what prompted you to consider whether you have sleep apnea in the first place? Also, waking throughout the night isn't uncommon especially as we (*sigh*) age.  I seem to every 90 minutes or so. This pattern probably…"
Jun 27
ZolliStar replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"You can try this website:  http://zyppah.com/ I have a MAD (mandibular advancement device). Dr. Steven Park evaluated my mouth and throat (not everyone can use a MAD, it turns out) and pronounced me a candidate for it. The truth?  I…"
Jun 27
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"The link didn't work so me so I couldn't see the product.  I do have experience with a supposedly reliable boil and bite device.  I should know by now I have a small mouth and nothing regular size fits.  I don't think…"
Jun 27
richard graham replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"If I thought something could work other than this lousy cpap that would be awesome"
May 22
richard graham posted a status
"I moved and have been sick a lot and can't use cpap because of cough and I'm depressed a lot"
Apr 26
Fred posted a discussion

CPAP - cure worse than the disease

It's ironic that before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2000, I had no problem sleeping 8-9 hours a night. If I did wake up during the night, I had no problem falling right back to sleep, and I wasn't tired during the day.From the first night I brought home the CPAP I haven't had one decent night's sleep. Not one. I don't have any problem falling asleep, but I can't stay asleep. At first I was waking up after 4-5 hours and couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Now it's more like…See More
Apr 13
Fred updated their profile
Apr 13
ZolliStar posted a discussion

New mouth device on the market

I've been hearing advertising for this product over the past few days.  It's sold as something to help snoring, but as I look at the information it seems to me that it would work just as well as my mandibular advancement device (MAD).In other words, this could help some of us with sleep apnea.Read about it here.Anybody have any thoughts about this?  See More
Mar 31
99 replied to Mary Z's discussion AHI finally under five.
"Hi Richard I mainly use an empty humidifier as it reduces noise"
Feb 16
richard graham left a comment for richard graham
"When I can afford it I'd like to get New machine with heated tube"
Feb 10
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion AHI finally under five.
"I would like to see this forum active again as well. I will be more aware of what's going on"
Feb 10
ZolliStar posted a discussion

If you have trouble falling asleep....

I thought that when I got my sleep apnea diagnosis, that -- at last! -- all my sleep problems had come to an end.Ha!I have trouble falling asleep. Indeed, I rarely feel sleepy at night although I do feel tired. I even cut back on computer at night, etc., etc. (and installed f.lux on my computer) but I still had trouble. Now I'm doing something different: wearing special glasses (Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear glasses). They block out the blue -- and they're making a difference! First I tried…See More
Feb 1
99 replied to 99's discussion colloidal silver
"i have purchased some silver the make my own colloidal silver"
Dec 21, 2014
99 replied to 99's discussion colloidal silver
"just add to the distilled water it is antimicrobial eg cleans your machine and is beneficial for keeping you healthy  from bugs germs viruses you get the picture and when you need to clean the humidifier out, put water on your plants the silver…"
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"If the heated tube works with your machine I would try that.  They also make covers for your tubing which may help some.  I think the heated tube may be your answer.  Keep us posted."
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"Richard, some folks just use the humidifier in a Passover mode.  They just don't turn it on, but let the air pick up moisture without heat."
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z replied to 99's discussion colloidal silver
"99, where have you been?  Do you add the colloidal silver to your humidifier?"
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z replied to Andy's discussion Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??
"I Andy, I realize I'm months behind your post.  I have no idea why your S8 would stoop collecting data.  I'm glad to hear  you're having such improvement with your apnea.  I have made great strides since I changed…"
Dec 21, 2014

Why am I waking up within half an hour to an hour with Auto CPAP

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and new to CPAP.  I recently began using a CPAP in January 2012.  I also did a 1 week test with a auto CPAP to figure out what pressure I needed.  Based on the study, I needed pressure of 9.8.  The test was done with a respironics system.

I was recently switched to a Resmed S9 auto CPAP since I wasn't getting good results with the CPAP.  Since switching, I have been only sleeping between 30 minutes to 3 hours.  If I slept for 3 hours with the auto CPAP, I would wake up within 30 minutes to 1 hour and fall back asleep.  Are there others that have the same problem as far as waking up within 30 mintues to 1 hour after sleeping?  At times when I wake up for the first time, I have a hard time falling back asleep with the mask on.  I don't know why I wake up either.

I currently use the Resmed S9 with the humidifier and swift fx mask.  My settings are at 9.8 minimum and 15 maximum.  I also start with a ramp at 7.8 for 30 minutes.

Anyone?

Views: 1771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is all super helpful. I have THE SAME exact problem. I wake up within 30 min to an hour after first falling asleep and then I end up FIXATING on the mask and the pressure. Its all down-hill from there. I think that I will try some sort of sleep-aid. Maybe just enough to get me through that first hour or two! I am using the S9 auto as well but with the mirage liberty. My range is between 8 and 16.

Suggest you try some herbal sleep supplements to help you along the way and just relax everything so you have time to get used to your new sleeping arrangements. There are a range on the market any good health shop will be able to guide you on what's best.

Hi Brittany,

For sleep-aids, benadryl works but it's hard for me to get up in the morning.  It also gives me a groggy feeling in the morning.  I take Melatonin to make myself sleepy on workdays since I want to be sure I can get up in the morning.  I feel the same way about waking up fixated on the mask and pressure.  I totally know how you feel.  How long have you been on the CPAP?

I've had some progress over the weekend when I took benadryl as I slept between 1and 1/2 - 2 and 1/2 hours straight without waking up.  Once I woke up, I couldn't tolerate the mask anymore.



Brittany said:

This is all super helpful. I have THE SAME exact problem. I wake up within 30 min to an hour after first falling asleep and then I end up FIXATING on the mask and the pressure. Its all down-hill from there. I think that I will try some sort of sleep-aid. Maybe just enough to get me through that first hour or two! I am using the S9 auto as well but with the mirage liberty. My range is between 8 and 16.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hayley Fraser-Mackenzie said:

Suggest you try some herbal sleep supplements to help you along the way and just relax everything so you have time to get used to your new sleeping arrangements. There are a range on the market any good health shop will be able to guide you on what's best.

When I take benadryl since it's an antihistamine and takes a while to make me sleepy I take it early in the enening.  If melatonin works tha's even better.

I know it's a lot of trouble, but there are cds out there specifically to help you get to sleep.  Some are just relaxing music, some relaxation, or self hypnosis cds.  I know it's a lot of trouble to get a cdplayer and earphones going in the middle of the night, but they can help and don't leave you hung over in the morning. My favoeite cd is Illuminations by JS Epperson.  It says "for peak performance", but I find I cannot stay awake through the whole cd.

If you are looking for melatonin it's best to try it first in a natural form, rather than the synthetic option normally perscribed by your doctor/bought at a pharmacy. Tart Cherry Juice is rich in natural melatonin and is very effective if you have a sleep deficit.  A couple of spoonfuls of Tart cherry over some yoghurt or neat, about 20 minutes before you go to sleep and you will feel sleepy, naturally. Tart cherry juice is also full of great antioxidants which have overall health benefits.

Hi Mary,

That's interesting you mentioned relaxing music as I use a relaxing background sound to also help with sleeping.  I play a rain type of sound to fall asleep.  I think that helps alot for me to fall asleep initially.  The hurdle I'm trying to get over now is when I get up in the middle of the night.

Mary Z said:

When I take benadryl since it's an antihistamine and takes a while to make me sleepy I take it early in the enening.  If melatonin works tha's even better.

I know it's a lot of trouble, but there are cds out there specifically to help you get to sleep.  Some are just relaxing music, some relaxation, or self hypnosis cds.  I know it's a lot of trouble to get a cdplayer and earphones going in the middle of the night, but they can help and don't leave you hung over in the morning. My favoeite cd is Illuminations by JS Epperson.  It says "for peak performance", but I find I cannot stay awake through the whole cd.

Thanks for the tip on the tart cherry juice.  I try not to eat or drink anything before sleeping to prevent myself from waking up to use the bathroom.

Hayley Fraser-Mackenzie said:

If you are looking for melatonin it's best to try it first in a natural form, rather than the synthetic option normally perscribed by your doctor/bought at a pharmacy. Tart Cherry Juice is rich in natural melatonin and is very effective if you have a sleep deficit.  A couple of spoonfuls of Tart cherry over some yoghurt or neat, about 20 minutes before you go to sleep and you will feel sleepy, naturally. Tart cherry juice is also full of great antioxidants which have overall health benefits.

I doubt if having a teaspoon or two of Tart Cherry juice before bedtime would be a problem. It's not like having 8 oz. of water or other liquid.

Spencer L said:

Thanks for the tip on the tart cherry juice.  I try not to eat or drink anything before sleeping to prevent myself from waking up to use the bathroom.

Hayley Fraser-Mackenzie said:

If you are looking for melatonin it's best to try it first in a natural form, rather than the synthetic option normally perscribed by your doctor/bought at a pharmacy. Tart Cherry Juice is rich in natural melatonin and is very effective if you have a sleep deficit.  A couple of spoonfuls of Tart cherry over some yoghurt or neat, about 20 minutes before you go to sleep and you will feel sleepy, naturally. Tart cherry juice is also full of great antioxidants which have overall health benefits.

Thanks for the clarification Zollistar.

ZolliStar said:

I doubt if having a teaspoon or two of Tart Cherry juice before bedtime would be a problem. It's not like having 8 oz. of water or other liquid.

Spencer L said:

Thanks for the tip on the tart cherry juice.  I try not to eat or drink anything before sleeping to prevent myself from waking up to use the bathroom.

Hayley Fraser-Mackenzie said:

If you are looking for melatonin it's best to try it first in a natural form, rather than the synthetic option normally perscribed by your doctor/bought at a pharmacy. Tart Cherry Juice is rich in natural melatonin and is very effective if you have a sleep deficit.  A couple of spoonfuls of Tart cherry over some yoghurt or neat, about 20 minutes before you go to sleep and you will feel sleepy, naturally. Tart cherry juice is also full of great antioxidants which have overall health benefits.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2015   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service