Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"BluePoint Medical* holding their next Remedy event on June 4 with Terry Cralle, RN on "Sleep in the Mordern Family".  They will also be checking CPAP machines and providing breakfast. Click on link above for more…"
May 7
Dan Lyons posted a discussion

CPAP & Dry Mouth

In recent months, I have developed extreme dry mouth as a result of the CPAP.  I am a mouth breather when using CPAP.Recently, I saw an advertisement for the symptoms of dry mouth, but as usual, when I need the information to have a discussion with both my primary care  physician and my dentist I haven't seen the ad. Has anyone else seen the ad and can anyone remember the info in the ad?Thanks in advance,DanSee More
Mar 30
richard graham posted a status
"My deductible is double what a machine is online but I can't get the machine set up. Any ideas?"
Mar 10
BeeAsleep posted a status
"Hi all. I am just checking in and saying hi after being gone for a long time. I am doing GREAT! Just got a new machine and mask. Feel like I"
Jan 23
BeeAsleep updated their profile
Jan 23
99 replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"Do not turn light on as this hinder you from falling asleep or choose red light instead which do not afect your sleep"
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for Joan Williams Rice
"Hi Joan visiting pelham and I have osa"
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for martha crabtree
"Hi maths visiting pelham "
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for Rhonda Harrison
"Hi Rhondda I am visiting pelham and have osa "
Oct 27, 2015
99 posted a discussion

Leaky gut

Do you have a leaky gutHow would you knowA telltale sign for leaky gut is Athletes footI wish to ask do you have or suffer from itThe reason I ask is maybe this is a common denominatorJust text yes or text noAnd if you are the first to text also keep a tallyExample38 yes 0 noYour input would alter the tally39 yes 0 noSo now I will input first1 yes. 0 noSee More
Sep 26, 2015
richard graham posted a status
"For the first time in a while I got a whole night sleep with my machine but woke up beat and left side of my head feels weird, not sure if"
Sep 2, 2015
Brendan Duffy posted a status
"How did you slhttp://blog.aastweb.org/winners-and-losers-food-for-thought-sleep-and-athletic-success?utm_campaign=subscribers&utm_source=hs_"
Jul 9, 2015
Pat Kniel updated their profile
Jul 7, 2015
ZolliStar replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"I'm wondering: what prompted you to consider whether you have sleep apnea in the first place? Also, waking throughout the night isn't uncommon especially as we (*sigh*) age.  I seem to every 90 minutes or so. This pattern probably…"
Jun 27, 2015
ZolliStar replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"You can try this website:  http://zyppah.com/ I have a MAD (mandibular advancement device). Dr. Steven Park evaluated my mouth and throat (not everyone can use a MAD, it turns out) and pronounced me a candidate for it. The truth?  I…"
Jun 27, 2015
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"The link didn't work so me so I couldn't see the product.  I do have experience with a supposedly reliable boil and bite device.  I should know by now I have a small mouth and nothing regular size fits.  I don't think…"
Jun 27, 2015
richard graham replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"If I thought something could work other than this lousy cpap that would be awesome"
May 22, 2015
richard graham posted a status
"I moved and have been sick a lot and can't use cpap because of cough and I'm depressed a lot"
Apr 26, 2015
Fred posted a discussion

CPAP - cure worse than the disease

It's ironic that before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2000, I had no problem sleeping 8-9 hours a night. If I did wake up during the night, I had no problem falling right back to sleep, and I wasn't tired during the day.From the first night I brought home the CPAP I haven't had one decent night's sleep. Not one. I don't have any problem falling asleep, but I can't stay asleep. At first I was waking up after 4-5 hours and couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Now it's more like…See More
Apr 13, 2015
Fred updated their profile
Apr 13, 2015

Who is compliant with their CPAP and what does that mean?

I am a newbie to this site. In the past three months I have been obessessed about sleep apnea. I am trying to make a decision with the different ways of treatment and in typical fashion am trying to immerse myself in this.

 

For CPAP users, I know that compliance is greater than 4 hours a night. every night. However, I feel that if I am not wearing the mask for the full eight hours it isn't good enough and will damage my health.

 

Does anybody know the answer if I wear it for 4 hours and then don't wear it for 4 hours as I pull it off my face, if I will get the health benefits. I do feel rested.

 

I am getting totally obessed with this OSA and am forgetting to live life. I scheduled an MMA surgery on February 23,2010 but am lookinn for other solutions which include a dental device.

 

 

 

BEst regards

 

JAckie

Views: 834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jackie, my impression, and I may be off base, is that 4 hours is considered compliance from an insurance compliance point of view. I don't know what most docs call compliance. I use mine all night everynight.
Mary Z.
I do believe that you should wear your CPAP 100% of the time when sleeping for full benefits. Wearing it for 4 hours is better than nothing. take baby steps. Insurance requirements and owning your machine should be your first goal. By achieving these you will become 100% compliant. Studies have shown that people in your situation our better off than you might think. If you use your unit everynight you are building muscle memory due to the residual effects of CPAP. Which means that the time after you take off your mask is not the big health risk that you might think. A person that wears their CPAP religiously and then stops for a day or 2 will have some reduction in the original severity (AHI) of their apnea. It generally takes 2-7 days for apnea to return to it's original severity after a cessation in PAP use. I hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to sleepguide.

Rock
Mary is right about compliance being measured that way for insurance purposes.

To get maximum benefit you need to try to work up to using your machine all night while you sleep. I use mine even when napping. If I lay down to rest, I put my mask and turn my machine on since there is the possiblity of falling asleep.

I don't know who is doing your surgery, but be aware that surgery isn't always successful and may even leave the patient worse off. Check the doctor's credentials carefully and see what the ratio is in his success rate.
Jackie, I agree with what the others have said: 4 hours a night is a good start, but at the end of the day, it amounts to an arbitrary cut-off point for where insurance companies will reimburse your equipment supplier for the machine and mask. But have no fear: you will get better at wearing it for longer periods of time. The commitment you're showing toward your treatment will guarantee that.

I'd tread very carefully with respect to the MMA surgery. If I were you, I'd cancel it for the time being until I really gave CPAP a much better shot. MMA surgery is major, major surgery, and the way people judge it a success or not more or less boils down to the same kind of arbitrary line in the sand that is drawn for CPAP "compliance," meaning even if it doesn't reduce your symptoms to a healthy level, the surgery can still be considered a "success."
Thanks Rock for your comment here. I have had my CPAP Resmed for a year and have yet to have a restful sleep. I use it religiously for several weeks and then take a few days off. Nice to know that I may be getting some benefits. Right now the mask is just incredibly loud and I haven't been able to adjust it sufficiently enough but given some feedback at this site I do plan to stay with this process until I've had at least one night's good sleep.

Rock Hinkle said:
I do believe that you should wear your CPAP 100% of the time when sleeping for full benefits. Wearing it for 4 hours is better than nothing. take baby steps. Insurance requirements and owning your machine should be your first goal. By achieving these you will become 100% compliant. Studies have shown that people in your situation our better off than you might think. If you use your unit everynight you are building muscle memory due to the residual effects of CPAP. Which means that the time after you take off your mask is not the big health risk that you might think. A person that wears their CPAP religiously and then stops for a day or 2 will have some reduction in the original severity (AHI) of their apnea. It generally takes 2-7 days for apnea to return to it's original severity after a cessation in PAP use. I hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to sleepguide.

Rock
Christine, not all masks are loud. I tried a Mojo gel mask and took it right off. The vents were placed in such a way that they made a loud noise. I use a mirage quattro FFM and am quite satisfied with the level of noise.
Good luck,
Mary Z.

Christine Myers said:
Thanks . Right now the mask is just incredibly loud and I haven't been able to adjust it sufficiently enough but given some feedback at this site I do plan to stay with this process until I've had at least one night's good sleep.

Rock Hinkle said:
What size mask are you wearing. Sometimes a noise or leak problem can mean that you need to downsize to a smaller mask. Mask fitting is an art. I have found that you can't look at the overall size of a person for mask fitting. You have to examine the size of that persons features. ie: mouth, nose, and even the spacing of said features. I have fitted small mask on the biggest and large on the smallest of people if that is what is needed.
Christine, I totally agree with Rock, despite having a "wide" head, I have a small size Mirage gel mask. It is remarkably quieter than the original one I had, I think the size and number of vent holes contribute to the noise, the more and smaller there are, the quieter I've found. Another aspect is the sound conduction. If the hard parts of my mask come in contact with my mattress which is very firm, it sounds like the air conditioning blowers on an aircraft in my ears %-) but other people in the room say they can barely hear anything. Obstructing the flow from the mask vents, eg: by holding a book close, makes the exhaust seem quite loud to me too. I'd be interested to know if anyone else finds these factors influence the loudness of their mask.
Some masks are louder than others and the pressure also affects how loud it is.

Insurance companies have set an arbitrary four hours per night to judge compliance for their purposes

In the real world, full compliance means that you wear your mask for the entire time that you sleep; this includes naps.

I have been on CPAP going on 15 years and except for the first few weeks and a few times when I fell asleep watching TV, I have been 100% compliant the entire time.
Did you take you a while to acclimate to this process? I realize it was a number of years ago but I'm still working to get some relief. I figured out yesterday my mask problem too much air pressure was coming through. Thank you for your input.

Tim said:
Some masks are louder than others and the pressure also affects how loud it is.

Insurance companies have set an arbitrary four hours per night to judge compliance for their purposes

In the real world, full compliance means that you wear your mask for the entire time that you sleep; this includes naps.

I have been on CPAP going on 15 years and except for the first few weeks and a few times when I fell asleep watching TV, I have been 100% compliant the entire time.
Rock, I am using the smallest mask gel mask. I was playing around with the mask yesterday and this is a small almost rubber like tab that was pushed up against the inside of the tubing. Once I adjusted this, the sound dropped considerably so thank you for your suggestion, I really appreciate the input.

Rock Hinkle said:
What size mask are you wearing. Sometimes a noise or leak problem can mean that you need to downsize to a smaller mask. Mask fitting is an art. I have found that you can't look at the overall size of a person for mask fitting. You have to examine the size of that persons features. ie: mouth, nose, and even the spacing of said features. I have fitted small mask on the biggest and large on the smallest of people if that is what is needed.
No problem Christine. Your post brings up a valid point. Not to long ago I had a pt that for hours had no problem with his CPAP. All of a sudden a very high leak. I adjusted and tightened several times to fix the problem. Finally I decided to rebuild the mask. Sure enough the liner had popped out just enough to make a tiny hole. Taking the mask apart and rebuilding solved the problem. Noise and leak.

Christine Myers said:
Rock, I am using the smallest mask gel mask. I was playing around with the mask yesterday and this is a small almost rubber like tab that was pushed up against the inside of the tubing. Once I adjusted this, the sound dropped considerably so thank you for your suggestion, I really appreciate the input.

Rock Hinkle said:
What size mask are you wearing. Sometimes a noise or leak problem can mean that you need to downsize to a smaller mask. Mask fitting is an art. I have found that you can't look at the overall size of a person for mask fitting. You have to examine the size of that persons features. ie: mouth, nose, and even the spacing of said features. I have fitted small mask on the biggest and large on the smallest of people if that is what is needed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2016   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service