Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"As of now I no longer have to use a chin strap.  I am anxious about the sleep study.  Wondering if I will be able to sleep WITHOUT the CPAP….even thought I hate it it is a part of every night now and is what I am used to.  "
Sunday
Clueless in Redwood Shores replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"I had it on the same outpatient basis.  Much pain, no long term gain.  I did not have the annual repetition - that might or might not have made the difference. "
Sunday
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"glad to hear it, Richard.  Keep us posted."
Apr 13
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"Glad to hear it's working, Richard."
Apr 11
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"The chin strap is helping. Been having better sleep. Thanks Ginny and Mary for your help"
Apr 11
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Thanks, Mary~  Fingers are crossed.  My pressure is one point lower than when I began (7) and AHI is some lower (7 day average).  I am anxious about sleep study as I have not slept without CPAP in 2.5 years!   "
Apr 6
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Good job, Ginny Hope the sleep study shows some good results."
Apr 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Last procedure done!  This time he gave me meds to take before so less anxiety while waiting!  For the first time I was able to eat normal food on the way home after the procedure.  No pain after 12 hours.  If it only works.…"
Apr 5
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Some folks run their humidifiers in passover mode- not turning on the heat just letting the air blow over the water.  That would not give any heat though. "
Apr 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Interesting, I actually feel a little better when I don't use the humidifier, but the humidifier helps with sinuses. The cold air stuff's me up. Gonna try running heat and a nasal spray"
Apr 4
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Good luck with it- let us know how you do, Richard."
Apr 4
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I just picked up a new chin strap and will use it with my ultra mirage."
Apr 4
richard graham posted a discussion

nasal sprays

Just wanting some suggestions for some good nasal sprays to dry up sinusus. Thank you
Apr 3
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Thanks Mary"
Apr 3
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I have both.  I use the chin strap with my Wisp and I also have a FFM if I choose to use that one. I'm a mouth breather.  I find nasal masks are easier to fit without leaks"
Apr 3
Mary Z replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"Nasacort is now available without a prescription.  I personally use Afrin on the rare nights I need it for being stuffed up."
Apr 3
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"Mary, do you recommend a good nasal spray?"
Apr 2
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Wondering if mouth breathers do better with FFM"
Apr 2
richard graham posted a discussion

mouth breathing

I'm a mouth breather, and am wondering weather to get a chin strap or affm
Apr 2
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"I've been thinking about trying a nasal spray. Thanks that's useful info."
Apr 2
Would like your recommendation for best, most comfortable mask for mouth breathers or for those that tend to sleep with their mouth open.

I currently use a Comfort Full II mask which I find terribly uncomfortable, though mine might be a bit too large for my face, but even if it was smaller I believe I would still find it uncomfortable since I can't stand anything that weights more than my thin, light-framed glasses on my face for long periods.

Thanks,
Sonia


See my other post that shows pictures of my uncomfortable Comfort Full II mask:
http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/is-my-mask-too-big

Tags: breathers, cpap, face, full, masks, mouth

Views: 4643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would change your perspective on this question a bit: why are you mouth breathing? breathing through the mouth is sub-optimal as there are many benefits to breathing through your nose. also, breathing through your mouth tends to by a symptom of something wrong with your nose that should be corrected. do you have allergies? sinus problems? my take is you should see an ENT (Dr. Park or someone like that) and work with that physician to fix your nose so that you can breathe out of it. Then you will have a clearer path to effective CPAP treatment, using a less bulky, more comfortable mask than the full face mask. Make sense?
Hi welcome to sleep guide. I am a nose and mouth breather. I use the liberty hybrid mask. I have used a mirage quatro full face, the oracle mouth only mask and the opus nose mask. Out of the 4 masks I have tried I have had the best success with the liberty.

I had a severe nose sore that infected a large portion of my face, even my eyes swelled shut, caused by the mirage quatro.
It took several weeks for my nose to heal. to say the least this is not my favorite mask.

I hardly know that i am wearing the liberty mask. I have been using it about 3 weeks. I hope this helps.

Carl
It is possible that your pressures are not where they should be. Pressure that is to high or low can cause mouth leaks.
HI Sonia. I'm historically a mouth-breather, both at night and during the day. I'm just chronically stuffy and have a hard time getting enough air without breathing through my mouth. That said though, I found that using a nasal pillow mask (first the Swift, then Swift II, then Swift LX, and now the Swift FX) I actually DON'T breathe though my mouth at night anymore. I actually have a chinstrap (somewhere) because I was so sure I'd need it, but I guess with the constant air pressure from the nasal pillow mask it gets enough air up there that I don't feel the need to breathe through my mouth.

You had mentioned that it's hard for you to get used to anything heavy on your face. I have the same thing. Wearing sunglasses is even uncomfortable unless they're really really lightweight. I have to say the new Swift FX, just got it on Friday, is even less obtrusive than the other Swift models. I can still take a drink or read easily with it on. I also found that nasal masks and full face masks (cause I've tried a bunch!) hit some pressure points right near my nose over my sinuses that make them unbearable to me.

I guess the real point is to keep trying different masks till you find one that works for you. My stepmother in law went through something like 6-10 masks at first to get one that would work for her. She drove her DME crazy, but she kept at it and did find one. She was a good inspiration for me when it came time for my to get on CPAP.

One other thing, my husband uses a full face mask. He has some anatomical things that make it mandatory for him. I noticed though that his has the bottom part of the mask hitting right below his mouth, kind of in that dent between your lower lip and chin. Maybe not all full face masks are supposed to be there, but you're right in that yours could be too big.

Also, when I'm looking around at masks I like to use cpap.com as they have tons of reviews and lots of good pictures of each mask from different angles. I feel like I get a good feel for the masks' strengths and weaknesses from the reviews too.

Good luck!
Hi Mike,

I don't choose to breathe through my mouth. My mouth opens every night when I relax enough to sleep. Even with my CPAP's humidifier I still need to drink water at least a couple of times during the night to relieve my dry mouth and throat. I think one reason my mouth opens is that my lower jaw is not aligned with my upper jaw, it's more pushed back, causing my mouth to open when I'm laying down and relaxed.

Also, my nose usually feels congested. I've always, for as long as I remember, have had trouble breathing well, but have never had Asthma and don't think I have real allergies, like to pollen since my eyes don't water and don't get runny or itchy nose. My nasal passage and nostrils have always felt swollen or stuffed up or not big enough to allow enough air. I spend a great deal of time trying to clear my nose, but there's usually nothing there to clear.

I will take your suggestion to see a nose specialist.

Hoping that by learning better breathing and getting a new, more comfortable mask will help me breathe better.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Sonia


Mike said:
I would change your perspective on this question a bit: why are you mouth breathing? breathing through the mouth is sub-optimal as there are many benefits to breathing through your nose. also, breathing through your mouth tends to by a symptom of something wrong with your nose that should be corrected. do you have allergies? sinus problems? my take is you should see an ENT (Dr. Park or someone like that) and work with that physician to fix your nose so that you can breathe out of it. Then you will have a clearer path to effective CPAP treatment, using a less bulky, more comfortable mask than the full face mask. Make sense?
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the welcome and the mask suggestions. I'm glad you were able to find a good, comfortable mask. I will look for information on the Liberty Hybrid mask you like.

Be well,

Sonia


Carl Speas said:
Hi welcome to sleep guide. I am a nose and mouth breather. I use the liberty hybrid mask. I have used a mirage quatro full face, the oracle mouth only mask and the opus nose mask. Out of the 4 masks I have tried I have had the best success with the liberty.

I had a severe nose sore that infected a large portion of my face, even my eyes swelled shut, caused by the mirage quatro.
It took several weeks for my nose to heal. to say the least this is not my favorite mask.

I hardly know that i am wearing the liberty mask. I have been using it about 3 weeks. I hope this helps.

Carl
Hi amott,

I don't breathe through my mouth while I'm awake, it's only when I'm sleeping and my mouth opens. That's the reason I picked a full mask instead of the small nasal one. As a little girl I was told enough times to close my mouth and keep it close for it to had become a habit, so even though my lower jaw is not aligned with my upper jaw I learned to push my chin and lower jaw forward to keep my mouth close while I'm awake. But since my muscles relaxed during sleep it's easy for my mouth to open when I'm sleeping, especially if I'm lying on my back. And though I've always felt my nose is stuffy, I've gotten used to not breathing much air, except during apnea episodes. So don't know if a nasal pillow mask would work for me. But thanks for your recommendations. I will look into the Swift FX mask.

Like you, I can't stand anything heavier on my face than my super expensive, thin, light-weight glasses. Anything heavier tend to give me horrible tension headaches. That's why the big, uncomfortable mask I have prevents me from really being able to sleep. So I need to find the lightest, most comfortable mask I can get.

Maybe your husband has a jaw problem that makes causes him to be a mouth breather too. I realized that my mask it's too big. I believe it's a medium. The technician that fitted me probably thought that at the time it was a good fit since I was about 130 lbs. heavier then. My face it's much smaller now since losing all that weight.

Thanks for telling me about the website, will check out cpap.com to read the mask reviews there.

Thanks for your help.
Be well,
Sonia



amott1973 said:
HI Sonia. I'm historically a mouth-breather, both at night and during the day. I'm just chronically stuffy and have a hard time getting enough air without breathing through my mouth. That said though, I found that using a nasal pillow mask (first the Swift, then Swift II, then Swift LX, and now the Swift FX) I actually DON'T breathe though my mouth at night anymore. I actually have a chinstrap (somewhere) because I was so sure I'd need it, but I guess with the constant air pressure from the nasal pillow mask it gets enough air up there that I don't feel the need to breathe through my mouth.

You had mentioned that it's hard for you to get used to anything heavy on your face. I have the same thing. Wearing sunglasses is even uncomfortable unless they're really really lightweight. I have to say the new Swift FX, just got it on Friday, is even less obtrusive than the other Swift models. I can still take a drink or read easily with it on. I also found that nasal masks and full face masks (cause I've tried a bunch!) hit some pressure points right near my nose over my sinuses that make them unbearable to me.

I guess the real point is to keep trying different masks till you find one that works for you. My stepmother in law went through something like 6-10 masks at first to get one that would work for her. She drove her DME crazy, but she kept at it and did find one. She was a good inspiration for me when it came time for my to get on CPAP.

One other thing, my husband uses a full face mask. He has some anatomical things that make it mandatory for him. I noticed though that his has the bottom part of the mask hitting right below his mouth, kind of in that dent between your lower lip and chin. Maybe not all full face masks are supposed to be there, but you're right in that yours could be too big.

Also, when I'm looking around at masks I like to use cpap.com as they have tons of reviews and lots of good pictures of each mask from different angles. I feel like I get a good feel for the masks' strengths and weaknesses from the reviews too.

Good luck!
yes, if i were in your shoes, i'd head to an ENT. i'm not usually a proponent of surgery, but you might be a good candidate for some low risk procedure to increase airflow through your nose. make sure if you go to an ENT, you're going to one who has a very cautious attitude toward surgery.

Sonia S. said:
Hi Mike,

I don't choose to breathe through my mouth. My mouth opens every night when I relax enough to sleep. Even with my CPAP's humidifier I still need to drink water at least a couple of times during the night to relieve my dry mouth and throat. I think one reason my mouth opens is that my lower jaw is not aligned with my upper jaw, it's more pushed back, causing my mouth to open when I'm laying down and relaxed.

Also, my nose usually feels congested. I've always, for as long as I remember, have had trouble breathing well, but have never had Asthma and don't think I have real allergies, like to pollen since my eyes don't water and don't get runny or itchy nose. My nasal passage and nostrils have always felt swollen or stuffed up or not big enough to allow enough air. I spend a great deal of time trying to clear my nose, but there's usually nothing there to clear.

I will take your suggestion to see a nose specialist.

Hoping that by learning better breathing and getting a new, more comfortable mask will help me breathe better.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Sonia


Mike said:
I would change your perspective on this question a bit: why are you mouth breathing? breathing through the mouth is sub-optimal as there are many benefits to breathing through your nose. also, breathing through your mouth tends to by a symptom of something wrong with your nose that should be corrected. do you have allergies? sinus problems? my take is you should see an ENT (Dr. Park or someone like that) and work with that physician to fix your nose so that you can breathe out of it. Then you will have a clearer path to effective CPAP treatment, using a less bulky, more comfortable mask than the full face mask. Make sense?
Mike,
Can you recommend a good ENT that's located in NYC?
Yes. Dr. Steven Park is a good ENT in NYC He also has a very conservative, cautious approach to surgery, and says that only 10 percent of his patients are good candidates for surgery. That's rare to find in an ENT. In other words, you'll be in good hands with Dr. Park.

Sonia S. said:
Mike,
Can you recommend a good ENT that's located in NYC?
Good, I will talk with him. I'm listening to his telecon. on masks that he's giving on Tuesday. Do you know if he accepts Medicare or Medicaid? I have both.
I don't know about what insurance he accepts. Best to call his office on Monday to ask.

Sonia S. said:
Good, I will talk with him. I'm listening to his telecon. on masks that he's giving on Tuesday. Do you know if he accepts Medicare or Medicaid? I have both.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service