Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S10 AirSense - Anyone have one? Any feedback?

Hi All,I've just ordered a new Resmed S10 AirSense, and I was wondering if anyone here has used one?Any information or input would be appreciated!See More
Monday
Andy replied to Andy's discussion Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??
"Hi All, Well, I went to the sleep doc today, and he ordered a new S10 for me! I still don't know why my S8 is not tracking data anymore. Anyone have any ideas?"
Monday
Oscar Lemus updated their profile
Sep 25
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"Just found they have a Facebook for the REMedy event, 1st Class Sleep REMedy Wellness Health Fair."
Sep 25
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"Reminder: REMedy event is this Saturday, 10 am to 2pm.  Topics include: Nutrition and Weight Management with Sarah Kelly, Registered Nutritionist/Dietitian Oral Appliance Therapy for Sleep Apnea with Drs. Rena Vakay & Lara…"
Sep 25
Kay Day left a comment for Kay Day
"September 1, 2014 My apologies to Sleep Guide for not participating in a long time. In January 2012 I started classes at the local community college (my husband is an instructor there, and my tuition is refunded when my grades are above a C. My…"
Sep 1
Mary Z posted a discussion

Sleep apnea increases risk of osteoporosis

Sleep apnea/osteoporosis study finds “increased” health riskA recently published study may have found a connection between obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and osteoporosis, marking yet another health…See More
Aug 23
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea
"Hi ZolliStar, I've heard before that speech therapy, or singing lessons can help sleep apnea.  The problem at that time was there was no way to determine which exercises help.  Getting research done, rather than anecdotal would be…"
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion

Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea

Some people report that singing -- singing! -- really helps their sleep apnea. Dr. Stephen Park said that myology (which are exercises to strengthen muscles around the inside of one's mouth area) helps some. I think singing would be better.  If you read all the FAQs on this (click below), I think you'll agree that it makes sense for some. Maybe you.http://www.singingforsnorers.com/index.htmSee More
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion
Jul 20
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"I talked to Kimberlie at the Novant Sleep lab last week (at Prince William Hospital) and she said they would not be holding any meetings this year but are planning to start holding meetings again next year.  I'll let you know when we have…"
Jul 14
richard graham posted a status
"I just have mask called the Wisp. Hope it works. Anybody have experience with it. I have an ultra mirage nasal mask and get leaks at brid"
Jul 9
Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??

Hi All,First off, my apologies for not checking in for a long time.I've been using my Resmed S8 AutoSet II for almost 3 years! I feel great, have lost almost 30 lbs, am no longer sleepy during the day, sleep through the night, and have my short-term memory back.Yay!I've told my doctors that I'm the "poster child" for Sleep Apnea and CPAPs! It's been, and continues to be, such an amazing experience that I want everyone to know!Everything has been going well in CPAP-land, but in the last few…See More
Jul 7
hifay replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"What type of chin straps?"
Jul 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"No real improvement in sleep study.  Just not having to use cervical neck color.  What a bummer. Surgeon wants another sleep study in about a month or so (home one) Not sure if will do or not. "
Jun 22
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Ginny, how are you doing after the tongue procedure?"
Jun 22
Mary Z posted a discussion

AHI finally under five.

I have been on CPAP since March 2008 and had a good AHI when I started therapy (under 5).Then my AHI started getting worse- for a while it stayed in the 20's, then we got it to the high teens.  Nothing we did would help.  My doctor said it was due to the meds I take.  For a couple of years I just tolerated the high AHI.  I did another sleep study and changed to an ASV machine.  For two years I still had a AHI around 11-13.  Then all of a sudden - a month ago I noticed my AHI was running five or…See More
Jun 22
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"FWIW, I've been alternating between my mouth device and my APAP. I haven't used humidity at all when I use the APAP -- and don't miss it, either. "
Jun 14
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I still use humidity but less of it. It seems to be working OK.."
Jun 14
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I rarely use the humidifier. I think it's less necessary during the summer when there is humidity.   I also switch between my mouth device and the APAP.  I like each for different reasons. Not sure with which I sleep better, though.…"
May 21

Another question for you veterans: What mask did you start with? And what mask have you finally found works best for you.

Nasal Masks

I started with the mask "issued" to me: a ResMed - FX for Her. I liked it overall BUT finally the leaking became a problem (I found this wonderful site too late to know about liners). Another problem: the skin chaffing irritation on the bridge of my nose. As a result, I'm considering one of these nasal masks:

http://softgel-comfortgel.cpaptalk.com/?utm_source=PC&utm_mediu...

Then, happily, at a support group meeting (that our estimable Chris H urged me to attend), an RT recommended a nasal pillow style mask. I seized his suggestion.

Nasal Pillow Masks

I have since been switching between two nasal pillow masks: a ResMed Swift FX and a ResMed Mirage Swift II. The blowing air annoys in both. The headgear on the Swift FX tends to shift more; the Mirage headgear is better and more stable, but the blowing air is more annoying. I'm a side-sleeper, and both masks seem to stay in place throughout the night.

Phillips Respironics' GoLife mask seems to be an interesting option. The headgear (in the photo) appears to be less likely to shift.  I haven't bought it yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

Full Face Mask

Finally, here's a full-face mask that I'm considering. It's expensive. The advantages (so far as I can tell from the photos and discription) are that it doesn't cover up the eyes (I like to read at night) and its headgear appears to be less likely to "jostle" or shift during the night thus dislodging the mask itself. Also, since I'm a mouth-breather, I hope I can dispense with my #&^$%#^* chinstrap!

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-mirage-liberty-full-face-cpa...

Not only would this newbie appreciate hearing the experience of the veterans, I bet a lot of newbies would be interested -- and even some veterans.

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started with the Quattro.  It worked well for about a year then the bridge of my nose broke down.  I tried various masks and settled on the Respironics FitLife Total Face Mask.

I like the FitLife too - no more nasal bridge sores or strap marks.  However, a lot of people on nasal masks are finding a benefit from these that we sell on our website Nasal Soft CPAP Cushions which I'm sure you'll be able to get in the US.

ZolliStar, the liberty isn't really a FFM but a hybrid, I tried a number of nasal pillows, nasal masks then FFM until I decided to stick with the Resmed Mirage Quattro. It took me a bit of getting used to but now get hardly any leaks. I also use a chinstrap because I found that when I fall asleep my mouth will still open when I'm in deep sleep and the mask will leak. I know it's a lot to waer but I am now comfortable with it. I am also sensentive to light and sound so guess what I wear ear plaugs and an eye mask as well. Maybe I should be called a 'mummy'LOL. Let us know how you go and use the mask liners and have the hose coming from above your head.

Thanks for the detailed clarification re: the Liberty, Terry.

I, too, am light sensitive but can't tolerate the "weight" of an eye mask. So annoying. One thing I really like about the ResMed FX for her is that I can throw a black scarf over my face and eyes and block all light 100%. Love that.

I'm a side sleeper. I looked at the ResMed Mirage Quattro and read some of the comments on www.cpap.com.  The few commentators who mentioned that they are side-sleepers said this mask worked fine for them and had high praise for it. 

And, yes, I'll take your advice and buy the liners if I get the Quattro.

I look forward to comments from others about their preferred choices. These discussions and comments are very helpful.



Terry Vella said:

ZolliStar, the liberty isn't really a FFM but a hybrid, I tried a number of nasal pillows, nasal masks then FFM until I decided to stick with the Resmed Mirage Quattro. It took me a bit of getting used to but now get hardly any leaks. I also use a chinstrap because I found that when I fall asleep my mouth will still open when I'm in deep sleep and the mask will leak. I know it's a lot to waer but I am now comfortable with it. I am also sensentive to light and sound so guess what I wear ear plaugs and an eye mask as well. Maybe I should be called a 'mummy'LOL. Let us know how you go and use the mask liners and have the hose coming from above your head.

I have been on the Resmed Quattro for about a year, that was the only mask they gave me because, being that I breath through my mouth.  The quattro was fine for a year and I take good care of my mask, but as of the last couple of months.  the mask has been leaking into my eyes, I get kind of a rash around the nose area of my face and dry mouth.  I am going to see a sleep doctor on the 2nd of Feb.  I have also not slept well since the mask is leaking in my eyes.  It's very frustrating.  I'm thinking about talking to the dr about going to the fit life mask, since I breath through my mouth.

Let us know what your sleep doctor suggests/recommends. Meanwhile, here are some thoughts:

1. Do you use a chin strap? It's essential equipment for me because I, too, am a mouth breather.

2.  Is your seal good? Nothing is more irritating that air leaking into the eyes.

3.  You might consider a nasal pillow-style mask.

I was surprised by how much I like the nasal pillow masks, btw. But I now switch between them and my original ResMed FX for Her mask. The big problem with the FX is the skin chaffing and irritation which force me to stop using it until my skin heals

I'm ordering a new mask today: the SleepWeaver mask which gets lots of nice reviews and is currently on sale at CPAP.com with free return privilege. Still, I hope I love it and don't end up returning it. For more information, click below:.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/circadiance-sleepweaver-advance-nas...

Again, let us know what your sleep doctor suggestions/recommends.

Kenneth Lorino said:

I have been on the Resmed Quattro for about a year, that was the only mask they gave me because, being that I breath through my mouth.  The quattro was fine for a year and I take good care of my mask, but as of the last couple of months.  the mask has been leaking into my eyes, I get kind of a rash around the nose area of my face and dry mouth.  I am going to see a sleep doctor on the 2nd of Feb.  I have also not slept well since the mask is leaking in my eyes.  It's very frustrating.  I'm thinking about talking to the dr about going to the fit life mask, since I breath through my mouth.

I think with my condition, I was diagnosed with asthma, the year prior to myself getting diagnosed with sleep apnea.  The dr had put me on a full face mask, because of my throat swelling, which they suggested was part of the reason why the put my cpap setting to 14 which, if I did some research, I've heard that the nasal pillow may not work at that setting that it would kind of get blown off of my face.  The resmed quattro did get a good seal at first, but then started losing weight, which is one of my goals this year, also being italian, my facial hair is annoying.  I usually have to shave in the morning and sometimes at night.  The only problem with shaving at night is my facial hair still seems to breake the seal on my mask.  Again, it's kind of frustrating and I'm feeling sleepy during the day, like before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  My wife gets irritated becaus the valve on the quattro blows air in her face.

ZolliStar said:

Let us know what your sleep doctor suggests/recommends. Meanwhile, here are some thoughts:

1. Do you use a chin strap? It's essential equipment for me because I, too, am a mouth breather.

2.  Is your seal good? Nothing is more irritating that air leaking into the eyes.

3.  You might consider a nasal pillow-style mask.

I was surprised by how much I like the nasal pillow masks, btw. But I now switch between them and my original ResMed FX for Her mask. The big problem with the FX is the skin chaffing and irritation which force me to stop using it until my skin heals

I'm ordering a new mask today: the SleepWeaver mask which gets lots of nice reviews and is currently on sale at CPAP.com with free return privilege. Still, I hope I love it and don't end up returning it. For more information, click below:.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/circadiance-sleepweaver-advance-nas...

Again, let us know what your sleep doctor suggestions/recommends.

Kenneth Lorino said:

I have been on the Resmed Quattro for about a year, that was the only mask they gave me because, being that I breath through my mouth.  The quattro was fine for a year and I take good care of my mask, but as of the last couple of months.  the mask has been leaking into my eyes, I get kind of a rash around the nose area of my face and dry mouth.  I am going to see a sleep doctor on the 2nd of Feb.  I have also not slept well since the mask is leaking in my eyes.  It's very frustrating.  I'm thinking about talking to the dr about going to the fit life mask, since I breath through my mouth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service