Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"As of now I no longer have to use a chin strap.  I am anxious about the sleep study.  Wondering if I will be able to sleep WITHOUT the CPAP….even thought I hate it it is a part of every night now and is what I am used to.  "
Sunday
Clueless in Redwood Shores replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"I had it on the same outpatient basis.  Much pain, no long term gain.  I did not have the annual repetition - that might or might not have made the difference. "
Sunday
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"glad to hear it, Richard.  Keep us posted."
Apr 13
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"Glad to hear it's working, Richard."
Apr 11
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"The chin strap is helping. Been having better sleep. Thanks Ginny and Mary for your help"
Apr 11
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Thanks, Mary~  Fingers are crossed.  My pressure is one point lower than when I began (7) and AHI is some lower (7 day average).  I am anxious about sleep study as I have not slept without CPAP in 2.5 years!   "
Apr 6
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Good job, Ginny Hope the sleep study shows some good results."
Apr 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Last procedure done!  This time he gave me meds to take before so less anxiety while waiting!  For the first time I was able to eat normal food on the way home after the procedure.  No pain after 12 hours.  If it only works.…"
Apr 5
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Some folks run their humidifiers in passover mode- not turning on the heat just letting the air blow over the water.  That would not give any heat though. "
Apr 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Interesting, I actually feel a little better when I don't use the humidifier, but the humidifier helps with sinuses. The cold air stuff's me up. Gonna try running heat and a nasal spray"
Apr 4
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Good luck with it- let us know how you do, Richard."
Apr 4
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I just picked up a new chin strap and will use it with my ultra mirage."
Apr 4
richard graham posted a discussion

nasal sprays

Just wanting some suggestions for some good nasal sprays to dry up sinusus. Thank you
Apr 3
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Thanks Mary"
Apr 3
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I have both.  I use the chin strap with my Wisp and I also have a FFM if I choose to use that one. I'm a mouth breather.  I find nasal masks are easier to fit without leaks"
Apr 3
Mary Z replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"Nasacort is now available without a prescription.  I personally use Afrin on the rare nights I need it for being stuffed up."
Apr 3
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"Mary, do you recommend a good nasal spray?"
Apr 2
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Wondering if mouth breathers do better with FFM"
Apr 2
richard graham posted a discussion

mouth breathing

I'm a mouth breather, and am wondering weather to get a chin strap or affm
Apr 2
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"I've been thinking about trying a nasal spray. Thanks that's useful info."
Apr 2
I cannot find the perfect pillow to support my head, the mask & hose. I have several pillows,including a couple supposed to be intended for CPAP. Before I was diagnosed with Apnea, my favorite pillow was made of 100% down. I'd had it a couple of years and it nestled my head to perfection. I tried all three pillows last night nothing worked- I was very tired - we have a 2 1/2 week old grandbaby in intensive care - And I wanted comfort. .

I would appreciate knowing what type pillow has worked for others.
Ruth Rayceen

Tags: CPAP, Pillow, Sleeping, advice, comfortable, most, oxygen, pillow

Views: 2183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heart goes out to you and all hopes for your little grandbaby. I like my oxygen pillow. It's supportive and very comfortable.
I will keep your grandbaby in my prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

It seems pillows, like so many things with cpap, tend be an individual thing.

For the last several years, I have used a king size memory foam pillow. This is particular pillow is dense and cradles my neck without flattening. Loved that pillow and still have it.

A few weeks ago, I was in on a trial product that www.pur-sleep.com was introducing. It is the Regenisis pillow. It is a buckwheat hull pillow. Love that pillow and now use it full time.

I have not tried the pillow that Mike has recommended but it looks like it would be a great pillow as well.
i know the manufacturer of the oxygen pillow, and he really knows his stuff. i am going to try to get him to post some on here to give his perspectives on mattresses/pillows generally (and not just his products). He's really a sharp guy.

sleepycarol said:
I will keep your grandbaby in my prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

It seems pillows, like so many things with cpap, tend be an individual thing.

For the last several years, I have used a king size memory foam pillow. This is particular pillow is dense and cradles my neck without flattening. Loved that pillow and still have it.

A few weeks ago, I was in on a trial product that www.pur-sleep.com was introducing. It is the Regenisis pillow. It is a buckwheat hull pillow. Love that pillow and now use it full time.

I have not tried the pillow that Mike has recommended but it looks like it would be a great pillow as well.
I sell the Oxygen Pillows in Dallas, and yes indeed. Pillows are just as important as the bed. As a general rule, the pillow should keep your head in a neutral alignment with your spinal column. To determine your neutral alignment, just stand up normally. Then take a look at the space between your chin and your chest--that's the same amount of space you need when sleeping on your back to get in maximum oxygen without putting undue stress on your neck.

I don't know how much side sleeping you're doing (or NOT doing!) but a properly fitting pillow would once again be able to keep that space nice and open without pitching your head up, or making it drop too far towards the bed. (and when testing for proper sizing, be sure to put your hands underneath the pillow if that's how you sleep-otherwise the pillow you test without doing that will end up being too tall.

Also very important--make sure you test out a pillow on a bed that approximates the feel of the bed you have at home! What works on a super firm bed is going to be (usually) WAY too tall to get you into your neutral on a soft, plush bed.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Super helpful and informative post, April!

April Reeves said:
I sell the Oxygen Pillows in Dallas, and yes indeed. Pillows are just as important as the bed. As a general rule, the pillow should keep your head in a neutral alignment with your spinal column. To determine your neutral alignment, just stand up normally. Then take a look at the space between your chin and your chest--that's the same amount of space you need when sleeping on your back to get in maximum oxygen without putting undue stress on your neck.

I don't know how much side sleeping you're doing (or NOT doing!) but a properly fitting pillow would once again be able to keep that space nice and open without pitching your head up, or making it drop too far towards the bed. (and when testing for proper sizing, be sure to put your hands underneath the pillow if that's how you sleep-otherwise the pillow you test without doing that will end up being too tall.

Also very important--make sure you test out a pillow on a bed that approximates the feel of the bed you have at home! What works on a super firm bed is going to be (usually) WAY too tall to get you into your neutral on a soft, plush bed.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Sending prayers, Thanks for sharing about pillows I have arthritis everywhere, and I need a good pillow for
my neck,
Was this information helpful and did you find a pillow that you like yet?
Thanks for asking this question. Since I started with my treatment 3 weeks ago....my neck has been totally out of alignment. I think it went out of alignment when I turned to sleep on my side...and the mask put in in an unusual position. I went to a chiropractor for an adjustment.....but I'm wondering if a correct fitting pillow would help?
A good ole 100% down pillow is what has worked best for me. Simply because I can punch it into any postition I want for my head, my mask, whatever.

I tried the buckwheat hull pillow. Too hard and too NOISY for me! I tried the PAPillow, a bit too thick for me. I like something soft and "skinny". I love my down pillow and "beat up on it" as need for the position I'm in. One punch and it doesn't bother my mask at all. The "dent" is just right. Or, if I want I can punch up the end and let my mask hang over the end. Or punch a hollow in the end for my mask to lay into.
Pillows are like cpap masks -- what one loves another hates!!

I know hubby was home a few nights ago and stole my pillow for the night (he hadn't been home since I had switched pillows and he probably thought he was doing me a favor since it is on the small side) and I didn't sleep worth a hoot. I have a buckwheat pillow and love it. I have found that it has helped my neck and upper back (I have chronic back pain).
I personally am sticking to my guns that the Oxygen Pillow is the one to get.

Mary J said:
Thanks for asking this question. Since I started with my treatment 3 weeks ago....my neck has been totally out of alignment. I think it went out of alignment when I turned to sleep on my side...and the mask put in in an unusual position. I went to a chiropractor for an adjustment.....but I'm wondering if a correct fitting pillow would help?
So many people do get very attached to pillows--I always have customers who come in and tell me that their necks are killing them. Then the "probing" begins. Usually, when I ask people "okay, how are you sleeping?" the answer is "side and back." More often than not, when I ask about the pillow situation, the customer will tell me they sleep with feather pillows. (and usually, it's 2, and they're stacking to make TV watching easier, or reading).

Down pillows are very malleable, which is initially wonderful. The problem is that they do get flattened out as you change position. So you either wake up with an awfully sore neck from trying to sleep on your side with not enough lift to fill the area between the neck and bed, or you get knocked out of your sleep cycle to have to reposition and punch away at the pillow to make it fit right again. or BOTH!! I'm not sure which is worse.

Judy loves her down, because she can punch it into a good fit. I'm wondering how many times she wakes up each night to get the pillow to fit. I call it "The Never-ending Pillow Orchestration." That being said, if you love it and feel like it works for you, that's a beautiful thing!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service