Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

What To Expect From Your Local Durable Medical Equipment Provider

These are compliments of rjjayrt, a DME RRT who has been gracing cpaptalk's forum w/his patience and presence:

What To Expect From Your Local Durable Medical Equipment Provider

1. DME should explain to the patient what their insurance requirements will be.
2. Should discuss the cost schedule based on coding, and what the patient will be responsible for.
3. Should provide the patient with dispute resolution options.

What To Expect From Your Local Durable Medical Equipment Provider's Registered Respiratory Therapist

1. The RT should have a discussion with the patient concerning Diagnosis (make sure the patient understands what the diagnosis is), and treatment (explain what Cpap, bipap, fully data capable, auto titrating mean)
2. Discuss the available machine options. If the patient wants an auto titrating machine the RT should be agreeable to pursue with the physician the ability to do so.
3. Once a machine is decided on discuss and demonstrate all functions of the machine. Show the patient a demo download and explain what each value means.
4. Discuss with the patient their sleep habits, if they sleep on their back or stomach, if they're a mouth breather or nose breather. Find out if the patient is claustrophobic or not.
5. Based on #4 discuss the available mask possibilities, let the patient try the mask on while under pressure.
6. After a mask is decided upon, demonstrate proper donning and removal of mask.
7. Assuming you've discussed and demonstrated everything in a way the patient understands, you should be able to have the patient setup their machine, apply their mask, set their humidifier and start therapy. If the patient has problems or is hesitant repeat instruction until patient can complete the task from start to finish without error.
Before the patient leaves discuss known problems with cpap, discuss with them the problems they may have over the next few days or so and discuss with them ways to avoid the problems or ways in which to deal with the problems.
8. Ensure the patient understands accessory replacement schedule, cleaning procedures and most importantly has a way to get in touch with you if there's a problem.
9. Finally make a follow up schedule with the patient so downloads can be done to check progress. I suggest one at 1 week, at 1 month and again at 6 months.

And I would suggest printing these out and taking them to your next local apnea support group meeting!

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Judy. This should be very helpful for those that are new to the world of DMEs.
copied
I copied this to my files also. This looks like a paper that my DME and Registered Respiratory Therapist used to guide them in what not to do. I've been dealing with them for 14 months and everything has been like pulling teeth.
Wondering how many on have worked with a DME or RT who complies with the list that started out this thread? Not me.
i have been on bipap since 12/2/09. i have found out that i know more about sleep apnea than the RT at DME. i found it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack just to contact this lady. she sure did not cover all the things that were mentioned here. i knew more about this last mask that she gave than she did. i kind of scares me to have to put my trust in someone that seems so uninformed.
Yeah, Carl, I had the same experience. I know more about my mask than the DME who sold it to me...and I have asked 3 times for new hoses...I guess they need a hand-made gold engraved request from me. SIgh++ oh well.
Hey, Bee. Maybe if you dig out the post here w/the HCPCS codes for CPAP therapy equipment and then sent your DME provider a WRITTEN request for a hose w/the proper HCPCS code for it, you MIGHT actually get one!!! Ya think??
You know Judy I know you are right....but DANG>>>>>>>why do I have to do their job as well as my own job? I would get fired if I "forgot" to do something for a client....but I guess the standards are different with the DME. In fact, the guy I have been dealing with is the BEST in the office. Scary, huh?
Well, it certainly does NOT speak well for the DME provider profession. And what is REALLY scarey is that Medicare/CMS and the health care reform movement is pushing for bidding for providers. Can you imagine all of us being victims of Apria as the lowest bidder???
All of the trouble people have with DME's makes me glad I skipped this step and purchased by machine.
there are a lots if buts and maybe there are pros and cons the up side and the down side to these purchases

Laura Hand said:
All of the trouble people have with DME's makes me glad I skipped this step and purchased by machine.
Wow, I was handed a machine and sent home. No discussions except getting fitted for a mask and how to clean the machine. No follow up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service