Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S10 AirSense - Anyone have one? Any feedback?

Hi All,I've just ordered a new Resmed S10 AirSense, and I was wondering if anyone here has used one?Any information or input would be appreciated!See More
Sep 29
Andy replied to Andy's discussion Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??
"Hi All, Well, I went to the sleep doc today, and he ordered a new S10 for me! I still don't know why my S8 is not tracking data anymore. Anyone have any ideas?"
Sep 29
Oscar Lemus updated their profile
Sep 25
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"Just found they have a Facebook for the REMedy event, 1st Class Sleep REMedy Wellness Health Fair."
Sep 25
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"Reminder: REMedy event is this Saturday, 10 am to 2pm.  Topics include: Nutrition and Weight Management with Sarah Kelly, Registered Nutritionist/Dietitian Oral Appliance Therapy for Sleep Apnea with Drs. Rena Vakay & Lara…"
Sep 25
Kay Day left a comment for Kay Day
"September 1, 2014 My apologies to Sleep Guide for not participating in a long time. In January 2012 I started classes at the local community college (my husband is an instructor there, and my tuition is refunded when my grades are above a C. My…"
Sep 1
Mary Z posted a discussion

Sleep apnea increases risk of osteoporosis

Sleep apnea/osteoporosis study finds “increased” health riskA recently published study may have found a connection between obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and osteoporosis, marking yet another health…See More
Aug 23
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea
"Hi ZolliStar, I've heard before that speech therapy, or singing lessons can help sleep apnea.  The problem at that time was there was no way to determine which exercises help.  Getting research done, rather than anecdotal would be…"
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion

Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea

Some people report that singing -- singing! -- really helps their sleep apnea. Dr. Stephen Park said that myology (which are exercises to strengthen muscles around the inside of one's mouth area) helps some. I think singing would be better.  If you read all the FAQs on this (click below), I think you'll agree that it makes sense for some. Maybe you.http://www.singingforsnorers.com/index.htmSee More
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion
Jul 20
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"I talked to Kimberlie at the Novant Sleep lab last week (at Prince William Hospital) and she said they would not be holding any meetings this year but are planning to start holding meetings again next year.  I'll let you know when we have…"
Jul 14
richard graham posted a status
"I just have mask called the Wisp. Hope it works. Anybody have experience with it. I have an ultra mirage nasal mask and get leaks at brid"
Jul 9
Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??

Hi All,First off, my apologies for not checking in for a long time.I've been using my Resmed S8 AutoSet II for almost 3 years! I feel great, have lost almost 30 lbs, am no longer sleepy during the day, sleep through the night, and have my short-term memory back.Yay!I've told my doctors that I'm the "poster child" for Sleep Apnea and CPAPs! It's been, and continues to be, such an amazing experience that I want everyone to know!Everything has been going well in CPAP-land, but in the last few…See More
Jul 7
hifay replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"What type of chin straps?"
Jul 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"No real improvement in sleep study.  Just not having to use cervical neck color.  What a bummer. Surgeon wants another sleep study in about a month or so (home one) Not sure if will do or not. "
Jun 22
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Ginny, how are you doing after the tongue procedure?"
Jun 22
Mary Z posted a discussion

AHI finally under five.

I have been on CPAP since March 2008 and had a good AHI when I started therapy (under 5).Then my AHI started getting worse- for a while it stayed in the 20's, then we got it to the high teens.  Nothing we did would help.  My doctor said it was due to the meds I take.  For a couple of years I just tolerated the high AHI.  I did another sleep study and changed to an ASV machine.  For two years I still had a AHI around 11-13.  Then all of a sudden - a month ago I noticed my AHI was running five or…See More
Jun 22
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"FWIW, I've been alternating between my mouth device and my APAP. I haven't used humidity at all when I use the APAP -- and don't miss it, either. "
Jun 14
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I still use humidity but less of it. It seems to be working OK.."
Jun 14
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I rarely use the humidifier. I think it's less necessary during the summer when there is humidity.   I also switch between my mouth device and the APAP.  I like each for different reasons. Not sure with which I sleep better, though.…"
May 21
Before starting cpap, I had very vivid dreams. I thought it was weird that I was having so many apneas during REM, but maybe that is why I remembered my vivid dreams, I was always waking up. I feel like I am not having any now. I have been on cpap about 10 nights now.

I have seen the phrase REM rebound on some posts. Could someone tell me what it is?

Tags: REM, dreaming, dreams, rebound, sleep

Views: 3163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure what it isbut I have been on my CPAP now for about 6 months and I just started having dreams again that I can remember. It was exciting to know I am actually getting some REM sleep now!! Best of luck to you...marie
REM rebound is an extended period of REM caused by pap therapy. Generally an apnaec person will be the deep restorative sleep of REM and stage 3 sleep. Typically we have more events in REM which knocks us back into a lighter sleep. This also denies us REM. A person with severe apnea will go weeks if not months without REM. This is what makes you feel so tired. REM rebound is what happens when your PAP therapy allows you to reach a true REM again. I am at work now, but when I get home I will post some more info about it. Search "REM rebound" and "NREM vs REM sleep" in the sleepguide search engine.
REM is of course dreaming. Dreaming is nothing more than clutter being cleaned from the brain. Images, background noise, conversations, old high school buddies, and so on. The brain de-clutters on average every 90 to 120 minutes during the night. When someone’s sleep is interrupted due to something such as apnea the brain gets behind in house cleaning. Once the sleep issue is corrected the brain has to play catch up and toss out all the not needed information. The forebrain is logical and wants to make sense of all this activity and puts the images in an order you can understand. Say you have the images being purged cat, cup, breakfast meal. Your brain knows cups hold water and that cats swim so you may dream there is a cat swimming in your morning coffee. Weird images, true but logical to your brain. …basically REM rebound is catch up housecleaning for your brain.
Wow! Dr. Conn, that was a great way to word it. I have read many theories on REM, but the defragging theory is one of my favorites. How would you correlate the effects of fatigue as it relates to a lack of REM? What about n3 or SWS being the fountain of youth? Sorry REM and SWS are my to favorite subjects of sleep. Which do you think are more important SWS rebound or REM rebound?

D. W. Conn said:
REM is of course dreaming. Dreaming is nothing more than clutter being cleaned from the brain. Images, background noise, conversations, old high school buddies, and so on. The brain de-clutters on average every 90 to 120 minutes during the night. When someone’s sleep is interrupted due to something such as apnea the brain gets behind in house cleaning. Once the sleep issue is corrected the brain has to play catch up and toss out all the not needed information. The forebrain is logical and wants to make sense of all this activity and puts the images in an order you can understand. Say you have the images being purged cat, cup, breakfast meal. Your brain knows cups hold water and that cats swim so you may dream there is a cat swimming in your morning coffee. Weird images, true but logical to your brain. …basically REM rebound is catch up housecleaning for your brain.
First I am not a physician highest degree is MS Neuro-Biology as related to evolutionary sciences,
REM is needed to keep your cognitive abilities sharp, Without REM you can become psychotic and or have a mental break. So it is very important. SWS is recooperative and body regeneration time. Body healing and in children Growth hormone is secreted, Important for development. These 2 are equally important.
Sleep is the first line treatment for any ailment. Not until the Mid 80s was sleep taken serious. We were left in the background amoung the para-sciences. Now its understood Improve Sleep improve health. There is so much to say about sleep dep. etc, Cardiac abnormalities, flutter-fib, R on T etc. ..parasomnias are also most interesting.. wow I could go on and on.
Interesting. So, I should be having more dreams, not less???? Or is it just that I am not waking up and interrupting the dreams so I don't remember them? I have always felt like I was on dream over drive and now that I have started cpap, I feel like I fall asleep and fall into a dark oblivion. I must be getting REM because I feel good when I wake up.

Rock Hinkle said:
REM rebound is an extended period of REM caused by pap therapy. Generally an apnaec person will be the deep restorative sleep of REM and stage 3 sleep. Typically we have more events in REM which knocks us back into a lighter sleep. This also denies us REM. A person with severe apnea will go weeks if not months without REM. This is what makes you feel so tired. REM rebound is what happens when your PAP therapy allows you to reach a true REM again. I am at work now, but when I get home I will post some more info about it. Search "REM rebound" and "NREM vs REM sleep" in the sleepguide search engine.
The theory goes that you only remember the dreams that you wake up during or shortly after. if Conn's and other researchers are right about the defragging theory then as you have these deams or thoughts you are eather organizing them as permenant memories or deleting them.

Along with the defragging theory your brain repairs or rewires itself during REM. This is the reason that chidren have so much REM during the brain development years. This could also be another reason we see REM rebound as the o2 deprivation from apnea can damage the brain.
It is strange but I have sleep apnea and I don't use a cpap but I have dreams too. I have always heard that dreams occur during REM, which sleep apnea patients never reach
Sleep Apnea interrupts dreams so when you fall back you begin to dream. If all is going well with your sleep...well chances are you will not remember your dreams nor should you try. If you write your dreams down in a book all that purged junk is refiled to be reshuffled and purged again... you know the same dream 3 nights in a row...sorry it isn't dream haunting its just tossing out the same trash night after night. relax toss out the trash and move on to some fun stuff!!
Rock do you work in the Biz?
I am a tech in indy. Sometimes it is fun to chase a dream. that is to say try to continue a good one. it used to scare the hell out of me when i realized that I was dreaming and could not get out(sleep paralysis). Now i run with it. I am never in control, just sometimes able to enjoy the ride. i would probably have quite a bit of alpha intrusion in my REM.

Just the way you worded it puts alot of things into perspective.

D. W. Conn said:
Sleep Apnea interrupts dreams so when you fall back you begin to dream. If all is going well with your sleep...well chances are you will not remember your dreams nor should you try. If you write your dreams down in a book all that purged junk is refiled to be reshuffled and purged again... you know the same dream 3 nights in a row...sorry it isn't dream haunting its just tossing out the same trash night after night. relax toss out the trash and move on to some fun stuff!!
Rock do you work in the Biz?
fascinating thread. When my wife was not treating her apnea, she had very vivid dreams that she could remember. Now that she's on CPAP, she hardly ever remembers her dreams. Myself, I rarely dreamt/remembered my dreams before CPAP, then experienced a period of vivid dreams upon starting CPAP, and now am back to not remembering my dreams.
i also go through phases of dreaming mike. i think for the most part it is better not to remember them because like Conn said then they are gone.

Mike said:
fascinating thread. When my wife was not treating her apnea, she had very vivid dreams that she could remember. Now that she's on CPAP, she hardly ever remembers her dreams. Myself, I rarely dreamt/remembered my dreams before CPAP, then experienced a period of vivid dreams upon starting CPAP, and now am back to not remembering my dreams.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service