Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
After twenty-five years of wearing a CPAP machine and a lifetime of struggling with sleep issues, I've learned a few things about sleep hygiene. One thing I am still tinkering with is vitamin consumption and how it affects the quality of my sleep. For most of my life I have been General Nutrition's best customer. If there is such a thing as a vitamin addict then that's what I am / was. At one time in my twenty's, I was popping upwards of forty types of vitamins a day. That's probably why my disco partying days didn't kill me back then. :) I was certainly burning up the dance floor as well as the proverbial candle at both ends. Funny - back then I was going to great lengths to stay awake all night so I could party. Now, I'm fighting for my life for a good night's sleep... My how times have changed!
But - the vitamin habit persisted throughout the years. I found a combination of three supplements that pretty much guaranteed me I was going to sleep for 14 solid hours. ( fourteen... that's NOT a typo )

2,000 units of vitamin C
2,000 units of Calcium
2 ea 500 mg aspirins.

Taken an hour or so after supper, I would sleep like a dead woman. Still don't understand why. This worked great until the day I took the two aspirin and went into shock - again. So, now I'm officially listed as allergic to aspirin, penicillin, and ibuprofen.

One other vitamin that affects my sleep is a B-vitamin complex tablet. This one, though, I had to take at noon to get the bulk of it out of my system before bedtime. Once again, if I took one, I could easily sleep for 10 straight hours. If taken in the evening, however, it will keep you up at night.

You guys on this sight have taught me more in the few weeks I have been registered here than my "lovely" sleep doctors have in 25 years. I hope sharing some of my experiences will help others just as much. Thank-you!

Kate

Views: 1046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm taking the vitamin C tonight -- along with the Calcium.

I've been told (by a nutritionist) that one should also take Magnesium.

I also heard someone call in to a nutritionist (radio show) saying that if he took his vitamins in the afternoon or with dinner, he had trouble sleeping. Those lively Bs, I bet.

Also, thanks to discussions on this board, I've made some important changes/adjustments. It's too soon to say for sure, but so far, they "seem" to be helping. Changes include:

• A brisk 30-minutes walk mid-day in sunshine. (Thanks, to Rock for posting this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo).  Also thanks to Dr. Steven Park's Sleep, Interrupted that specifically recommends walking (or other exercise) in sunlight, preferably mid-day when sunlight is strongest. (I also recommend his book, btw.)
  • Eliminating alcohol. (*Sigh*)  The upside: I'm saving money.
  • Caffeine -- cutting it down or out. This includes eliminating chocolate, which I adore. I've simply decided to turn my back on it. The upside: I like the really good stuff, be it coffee or chocolate, so (again) I focus on the upside: I'm saving money.
  • Computer use: I've cut it back in the evening BUT (thanks to advice on this board) I've also installed the F.lux program on my computer. It's supposed to cut back on the blue color off one's monitor so that it's possible to use it later at night without affecting or afflicting one's sleep. (The color change after sunset is noticeable, btw.)
  • "Powering down" at night. I start lowering lights about 9:00 pm, I quiet down reading and relaxing.  
  • "Sleep nutrients" taken at night. Melatonin (2.5 mg) and Tart Cherry Juice (1 tbs.) Tonight I'm adding the Vitamin C (2,000 units), Calcium (2,000 units) as well as magnesium.

Last night, to my astonishment -- and I had done all the above except the very last (which I'm adding tonight) -- I started YAWNING BY 10:00 PM!

I'm still not sleeping really well or deeply, but I'm sleeping much, much better. I recognize that this has elements of being a lifelong journey. So be it.

I wish I didn't have OSA but given that I do, I'm grateful for two things: my diagnosis (after so many decades) and SleepGuide.com.  Kudos to Mike and Mary who do so much for us all!

Zollistar - when I take magnesium too late in the day, it leaves me laying in bed and feeling like I'm ...humming, and not able to fall asleep .  Don't know how else to describe it.  I would save this one for taking in the morning.

The 2,000 mg of calcium is a surprise to me. The "experts" always say that one can't assimilate more than 600 mg at a time. Did someone tell you otherwise? Just curious. I sometimes take a Tums-type supplement at bedtime and that also has 1,000 mg calcium in it. I wonder why they make supps like that.

when i broke my arm there were too many pieces to count and  i took tripple the max dose for very short while and the doctor was so pleased with the healing that he had me attend an extra time just to show his colleguies

MZH said:

The 2,000 mg of calcium is a surprise to me. The "experts" always say that one can't assimilate more than 600 mg at a time. Did someone tell you otherwise? Just curious. I sometimes take a Tums-type supplement at bedtime and that also has 1,000 mg calcium in it. I wonder why they make supps like that.

Doctors have a lot to learn about nutrition.

When I last checked a few years ago, nutrition wasn't taught in medical schools. I suspect nothing has changed. 

99 said:

when i broke my arm there were too many pieces to count and  i took tripple the max dose for very short while and the doctor was so pleased with the healing that he had me attend an extra time just to show his colleguies

MZH said:

What kind of calcium are you taking? I did a quick search and it's looking like calcium oroate is the only good kind. Odd I never heard of it before! Have you?

this was in the past about 2 or 3 decade ago and i have fogoten

it may or may not have been calcium oroate

99 said:

MZH said:

Zollistar, what kind of calcium are you taking?

Nothing special. Standard-issue calcium that comes with magnesium. I wasn't able to get calcium by itself in my vitamin store.

I'm all ears if anyone has a good recommendation.

MZH said:

Ha, I was looking for a good recommendation too. I suspect calcium citrate is the easiest to assimilate and to find but the oroate type seems the best. I've never seen it of even heard of it before yesterday though!

ZolliStar said:

Nothing special. Standard-issue calcium that comes with magnesium. I wasn't able to get calcium by itself in my vitamin store.

I'm all ears if anyone has a good recommendation.

MZH said:

I've just been using the liquid caps you can get from WalMart.  They get into your system faster.  Two things I need to warn you about.  I was so calcium deficient, it took months for me to finally "top out".  If you take this much calcium, I strongly recommend you do a home sediment test about once a month.  Sounds gross but it is VERY necessary.  Just pee into a clear plastic cup and leave it sit undistrubed for 24 hours.  If you see a thin layer of whitish sediment in the bottom of the cup as you pour it into the toilet, back off the nightly dosage by half.  Too much calcium for too long will contribute to kidney stones.  Also, if you are taking vitamin D3 for any reason, DO NOT TAKE SUPPLEMENTAL CALCIUM.  The two together will cause the D3 to build up to toxic levels in your system.  And in the wintertime, the D3 is way more important than the calcium.  I alternate the two of them - 2 days on the D3 then 2 days on the calcium.  But NEVER together.  D3 is what helps with sunlight deficiency  and Seasonal affective disorders.  ( SAD )  Winter blues it's sometimes called.  Hope this helps.  I'm certainly NOT a Doctor.  I'm just sharing what works for me.  

That's interesting. I was told the exact opposite by an endocrinologist - that I needed to take D with calcium. Oy. I have to say though, that I'm taking less calcium and more D. My subconscious may have been talking to me.

I'm really getting sick of supplement pills anyway! Never heard of that test but I'm game. I'll try it when I find my paper cups. LOL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service