Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Two people on vit. D (high dose) claimed there sleep has never been better.I looked into that and found Vit D works the same as melatonin does on the body. Interesting!

Views: 5690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The dose when you supplement will depend on your personal needs. Part of it is body weight.

I have read that to obtain optimum levels, take around 35 IUs per pound per day. This is D3. Doctors often prescribe D2 which is not as effective.  Then, it is also seasonal. Vitamin D3 is generated by your skin when exposed to the UVB band of sunlight when the sun is high in the sky. We are talking summer between 10 AM and 2 PM. If you do not live in the deep South of the U.S., it is important to supplement in winter because the atmosphere filters out UVB rays that time of year.  All of this information is online, so I will not write a long dissertation. What you need to remember is vitamin D is a hormone because it made by your skin from cholesterol when exposed to UVB rays. The problem is people don't get adequate amounts of sun exposure. I work in an office and it is tough to find a place outside to strip to the waist, while at work, between 10 and 2 for 20 or 30 minutes. Nobody wants to see that. :)  So, I supplement.

What is important is, if you believe your vitamin D levels are low, get tested by your doctor, supplement, and get tested again after a few weeks to see if the dosage needs to be adjusted to get to optimum levels. (60 to 80 ng/ml)

Now, what does this have to do with sleep apnea?  I have been a vitamin D fanatic for several years. So, I look for new stuff having to do with vitamin D on the web on a regular basis. Recently, I came on a five part lecture by a neurologist who specializes in headaches. She usually put her patients through a sleep study as part of her diagnosis. She found that most of her patients had sleep disorders and almost always were vitamin D deficient. She found that vitamin D effected the part of the brain that governs paralysis during sleep.  It is an interesting talk. I hope you find it informative too.  Here is part one:

vitamin D, sleep apnea, headache, migraine, depression Pt.1

AKA: Sleep, Vitamins, and Heart Health

http://www.youtube.com/user/tolenio#p/u/6/GHCD3fONV1k

Mary Z said:

What kind of doses were they taking? I take 50,000u once a week for low Vitamin D. .
This is interesting, where did you do your research? Add again I would like to know what kind of high dose we are talking about. Anything to sleep better!
Thanks,
Mary

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service