Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I've gotten several differing opinions as to whether Vaseline is harmful to my mask. Does anyone believe it is okay? And if not, what are some alternatives I might use to relieve the irritation in my nostrils? Is it really necessary to order those specialize products I see on medical-supply websites? Some people swear Vaseline is non-corrosive; others insist it is. Thanks in advance for your help.

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vaseline is petroleum-based which is what causes the problems w/both mask deterioration and some risk of lipid pneumonnia.

Ayr Saline Nasal Gel (also a spray available and a spray gel) is NOT petroleum-based and is intended for nasal use. The gel applied just before going to bed around the base of the nose and sides of the nostrils dries a bit sticky, just enough to be of real help in sealing a nasal cushion mask in that area.

Ayr Saline Nasal Gel is not expensive and available at most any pharmacy and even in Wal-Marts, K-Marts, Meijers', etc.
I have found that my skin has become sensitive to many of the petroleum based products found in vaseline, hand lotions, face creams, etc. They tend to make me itch and have a rash like appearance. Think about it -- petroleum based products are derived from the same source as gasoline.

I do admit it is very difficult to find lotions, etc. without this ingredients.
Watch out for "petrolatum" or "petroleum jelly" which are generic terms for Vaseline and "mineral oil" which is a liquid for of petrolatum.
Does anyone know if lanolin is in the same family as vasoline? The lanolin for nursing mothers helps sooth and toughen up the skin. You could use it in the daytime in any case. It is a good product. You want something 100% lanolin.
Good luck,
Mary Z.
Thanks to suggestions from folks on this forum, I have been using AYR from day one and have not had any (knock on wood) problems with nasal irritation using my nasal pillows. I also think that it helps with the seal.
Mary lanolin is derived from sheep's oil. This came from a Wikipedia def:

Lanolin (German, from Latin lāna, "wool", and oleum, "oil") also called Adeps Lanae, wool wax, wool fat, anhydrous wool fat or wool grease, is a greasy yellow substance secreted by the sebaceous glands of wool-bearing animals, with the vast majority of it used by humans coming from domestic sheep. Chemically akin to wax, it can be used as a skin ointment or water-proofing wax, and is also sometimes used as a raw material in the manufacture of such products as shoe polish. Lanolin's waterproofing property aids sheep in shedding water from their coats. Certain breeds of sheep produce large amounts of lanolin, and the extraction can be performed by squeezing the sheep's harvested wool between rollers. Most or all of the lanolin is removed from wool when it is processed into textiles, such as yarn or felt.

But my doctor did warn if you are allergic to wool to do a small patch test for allergy to lanolin. I know that most drug stores carry lanolin and it is much cheaper than the brand sold for nursing mothers.
Thank you everyone for your kind help!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service