Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I've heard that studies are being conducted of people who still subjectively report feeling sleepy even after having successfully used CPAP. Wondering if this has happened to anyone, or how common it is?

Views: 3436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had great numbers last night and for the first time ever, my leak line was a total straight line (at 46.0)...........My hypopneas, flow limitations, apneas all at 0.7 and my AHI at 1.6 yet I still feel tired right now and can't even see straight. Good that I'm off from work tonight.

Rock Hinkle said:
The new quattro has a big dial on the forehead that helps adjust it to your face. I was not aware that the new machines adjusted for flow limitation. Flow limitation is the beginning or onset of an obstruction. On a psg we can see this in your respirarory waves long before an event happens. I don't understand you said your nachine went up and stayed up for a while. Does this mean it came down again? If you have flow limitation your pressure needs to stay at a high enough rate to prevent this.
BP I would definatley look into an MSLT.

BPLink said:
I had great numbers last night and for the first time ever, my leak line was a total straight line (at 46.0)...........My hypopneas, flow limitations, apneas all at 0.7 and my AHI at 1.6 yet I still feel tired right now and can't even see straight. Good that I'm off from work tonight.

Rock Hinkle said:
The new quattro has a big dial on the forehead that helps adjust it to your face. I was not aware that the new machines adjusted for flow limitation. Flow limitation is the beginning or onset of an obstruction. On a psg we can see this in your respirarory waves long before an event happens. I don't understand you said your nachine went up and stayed up for a while. Does this mean it came down again? If you have flow limitation your pressure needs to stay at a high enough rate to prevent this.
yes it does.

BPLink said:
I have a Respironics BPAP w Auto. I use EncoreViewer and it shows nightly flow limitation. I average 0.6 flow limitations and last nights was 0.7. I was seeing that my pressure last night went up (from 16I-14E) each time I had a flow limitation and the pressure stayed up for awhile in some cases, in other cases it only stayed up briefly..........When you say the beginning of an obstruction, you mean the beginning of an apnea? Then my pressure going higher stopped the apnea which I take to mean that the BPAP is doing a good job.

Rock Hinkle said:
No, I don't have narcolepsy. That's not a problem.
Rock Hinkle said:
BP I would definatley look into an MSLT.

BPLink said:

Rock Hinkle said:
An MSLT test for Excessive daytime sleepiness not just narcolepsy. BP we have talked about your leg movements, we have talked about your excessive sleepiness, we have talked about ambien, we have talked about masks, we know that your machine is working and that your data is good. I keep making suggestions and you tell me no that's not my problem. Your study showed that you had leg movements, you told me that you do not have RLS or PLMD, We talked abotu your leak and mask. YOur data proved that was not it. YEt you are still sleepy, could not see straight to quote you. I suggested an MSLT, yet again you tell me that I am wrong. We know that you have been on Ambien TOO LONG. What I would reaaly like to know is how long did it take them to convince you that you needed CPAP!? I do this for a living. Evaluating sleep is my job. To date I have evaluated and helped treat over 300 bad sleepers. With NOT ONE complaint. I am doing this on my off time. I do this because I love what I do, and this site is another way for me to do it. If your not going to take my suggestions to heart then I am done giving them. Sorry I could not help you. Good luck.
Rock,

I apologize to you, I realize that you are trying very hard to help me. No, I'm not disregarding anything you say. I'm extremely grateful for your assistance, your work, your advising me. I was under the impression that MSLT only tested narcolepsy. If I'm wrong about that then I admit I'm wrong. Other than that, I have to tell you what I'm not and what isn't going on in order for you to advise me correctly.

I breathe bad air at work, lots of dirt, machine air, grime, asbestos at work, lots of asbestos in the building I live in too and in my apartment as well. I have trouble falling asleep, I stop breathing, the ambien gets me to sleep, otherwise I wake up. Also lots of stress at work and I'm highly sensitive, I can't help that. Also lost two family members last year including my mother, I'm completely alone now. I wish I were married again, I date a lot but no luck yet in establishing a romantic connection.
ik
All this may be going into the "formula".

How long did it take them to "convince" me I needed CPAP? All I needed to do was see my study and I was convinced.

Rock Hinkle said:
An MSLT test for Excessive daytime sleepiness not just narcolepsy. BP we have talked about your leg movements, we have talked about your excessive sleepiness, we have talked about ambien, we have talked about masks, we know that your machine is working and that your data is good. I keep making suggestions and you tell me no that's not my problem. Your study showed that you had leg movements, you told me that you do not have RLS or PLMD, We talked abotu your leak and mask. YOur data proved that was not it. YEt you are still sleepy, could not see straight to quote you. I suggested an MSLT, yet again you tell me that I am wrong. We know that you have been on Ambien TOO LONG. What I would reaaly like to know is how long did it take them to convince you that you needed CPAP!? I do this for a living. Evaluating sleep is my job. To date I have evaluated and helped treat over 300 bad sleepers. With NOT ONE complaint. I am doing this on my off time. I do this because I love what I do, and this site is another way for me to do it. If your not going to take my suggestions to heart then I am done giving them. Sorry I could not help you. Good luck.
Rock,

You have the wrong idea about me, please read the following.

Rock,

I apologize to you, I realize that you are trying very hard to help me. No, I'm not disregarding anything you say. I'm extremely grateful for your assistance, your work, your advising me. I was under the impression that MSLT only tested narcolepsy. If I'm wrong about that then I admit I'm wrong. Other than that, I have to tell you what I'm not and what isn't going on in order for you to advise me correctly.

I breathe bad air at work, lots of dirt, machine air, grime, asbestos at work, lots of asbestos in the building I live in too and in my apartment as well. I have trouble falling asleep, I stop breathing, the ambien gets me to sleep, otherwise I wake up. Also lots of stress at work and I'm highly sensitive, I can't help that. Also lost two family members last year including my mother, I'm completely alone now. I wish I were married again, I date a lot but no luck yet in establishing a romantic connection.
ik

How long did it take them to "convince" me I needed CPAP? All I needed to do was see my study and I was convinced.

BPLink said:
Rock,

ik

Rock Hinkle said:
I am still here BP I am just at a loss as to where to tell you to go from here. I get frustrated, throw tantrums, and pout but very rarely do I give up. Please let me know if I am wrong. You are on bipap at 18/14? You are having a problem with your mask. Possible leaks at night. You are using a full face Quattro. You are and have been taking ambien for about a year to compensate for a feeling of not being able to breath and waking up. You have documented periodic limb movementt arousals. You wake up groggy, and are still dealing with excessive daytime sleepiness. Your initial sleep stages are askew. I believe that I have summed up everything that I know about your treatment.

First I belive we need to deal with the mask problem. What is your leak rate? Is it possible for you to switch to a nasal mask? I am also going to need to know your AHI, AI, and HI. If you could post a detailed list of your latest data it would be helpful along with any underlying medical problems that you have in relation to your apnea. At this time BP I need it all. You are my new case study.
Do you know if they documented your co2 levels during either of your studies?

Rock Hinkle said:
I am still here BP I am just at a loss as to where to tell you to go from here. I get frustrated, throw tantrums, and pout but very rarely do I give up. Please let me know if I am wrong. You are on bipap at 18/14? You are having a problem with your mask. Possible leaks at night. You are using a full face Quattro. You are and have been taking ambien for about a year to compensate for a feeling of not being able to breath and waking up. You have documented periodic limb movementt arousals. You wake up groggy, and are still dealing with excessive daytime sleepiness. Your initial sleep stages are askew. I believe that I have summed up everything that I know about your treatment.

First I belive we need to deal with the mask problem. What is your leak rate? Is it possible for you to switch to a nasal mask? I am also going to need to know your AHI, AI, and HI. If you could post a detailed list of your latest data it would be helpful along with any underlying medical problems that you have in relation to your apnea. At this time BP I need it all. You are my new case study.
Co2 levels means oxygen levels? The last numbers were my lowest oxygen level at each pressure.

CPAP Statistics (I was tested on an Xpap)
Pressure Duration TST CA OA MA Hyp AHI Desat Lowest Oxygen
4 3.4 2.0 2 1 - - 90.0 - 95.0
6 8.4 5.9 - 6 - - 61.1 1 90.0
8 136.2 99.7 - 6 - 2 4.8 1 94.0
10 15.7 10.2 - 6 - 5 64.8 4 83.0
12 17.9 14.9 - - - 5 52.3 10 86.0
14 132.2 111.9 - - - 11 5.9 5 88.0
16/12.0 50.5 32.6 - 3 - 10 23.9 3 92.0
18/14.0 82.0 54.3 - 1 - 1 2.2 1 91.0

Rock Hinkle said:
Do you know if they documented your co2 levels during either of your studies?

Rock Hinkle said:

I'm at BPAP at 16/14 up to 20/18. My leak rates usually are in the mid to higher 40's. I'm a mouth breather, I couldn't use a nasal mask. My AIs and HIs usually range around the 1-3 area although I had a very high night (unusual for me) last week but the AHIs are down again.

Greatly appreciated Rock. Thank you for helping.

Rock Hinkle said:

co2 is carbon dioxide. usually it would be documented bt ETCO2= a range of 30-50. spo2 is oxygen.

I noticed in your titration that they were never really able to get your apneas to go away?

is there anyway you can post the study.

So the apneas you are having at sleep onset are keeping you from going to sleep? Leaks at onset? What exactly is going on when you fall asleep?

What did they say about your heart in the study? Any palpitations.

Break down the numbers individually for the 16/14 and 18/16. I do not believe that I am lining them up right.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service