Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I've heard that studies are being conducted of people who still subjectively report feeling sleepy even after having successfully used CPAP. Wondering if this has happened to anyone, or how common it is?

Views: 3436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually see high leaks lately at the same time that I get the apnea or apnea/hypopnea clusters. I might be waking up or fixing the leak in my "sleep".
BP, we might have already discussed this but what mask are you using?
this study came out and is on point to the topic of this thread: http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters/us_sleep_sleepiness.html
Ok well it is one thing to cure the apneas, and after a cpap trial you should be retested to see of the therapy is doing what it is supposed to do. Something that I have used lately and have benefited from significantly is light therepy. The other more common question is; is the cpap actually working post setup testing should be done. If you have been on long-term therapy you should be getting retested, this is why self titrating systems are so much more of a benefit.
Rock Hinkle said:

Mirage Quattro FF
Check out on a Google search
cpaptalk: krakow for a couple of long threads about flow limitations/UARS causing sleepiness even though getting good CPAP treatment. Dr. Krakow is a sleep medicine certified doctor, a CPAP user himself, and head of a sleep center.
BP when was your last study? Trip to the DR? Are you due for a new mask? Have you gained any weight? Have any of your personal parameters changed since your titraiton. Have you replaced the lining on your mask? I have been thinking on this at work. Are you fitting your mask lying down or sitting up?

BPLink said:
Rock Hinkle said:

Mirage Quattro FF
Rock,

My last titration was in Nov 08, I'll be seeing the doctor in June and I'll be getting my new mask at the same time (I get one every three months but the last one seemed more uncomfortable, had harder glass than the others I had, so I usually use an older mask. Did they change the Quattro recently?) I gained some weight but I'm always tired no matter if the AHIs are low or higher anyway. I fit my mask laying down.

Rock Hinkle said:
BP when was your last study? Trip to the DR? Are you due for a new mask? Have you gained any weight? Have any of your personal parameters changed since your titraiton. Have you replaced the lining on your mask? I have been thinking on this at work. Are you fitting your mask lying down or sitting up?

BPLink said:
Rock Hinkle said:

Mirage Quattro FF
There is new quattro series out, but I would imagine that it is the same one you have. Talk to your dr. about flow limitation and maybe see about getting a MSLT to test for overall daytime sleepiness. This would at least rule out narcolepsy. I am sorry I don't have more for you. It is a crap shoot at thisa point BP. We need to start eliminating possible causes for your daytime fatigue, and for your need for the ambien at night.
What are the differences between the new and old quattro? What about flow limitations, what does flow limitation mean exactly? My flow limitation last night was 0.7, I noticed (EncoreViewer) that my pressure went up after the flow limitation events and stayed up for awhile even though there weren't any apneas or hypopneas at that particular time.

Rock Hinkle said:
There is new quattro series out, but I would imagine that it is the same one you have. Talk to your dr. about flow limitation and maybe see about getting a MSLT to test for overall daytime sleepiness. This would at least rule out narcolepsy. I am sorry I don't have more for you. It is a crap shoot at thisa point BP. We need to start eliminating possible causes for your daytime fatigue, and for your need for the ambien at night.
The new quattro has a big dial on the forehead that helps adjust it to your face. I was not aware that the new machines adjusted for flow limitation. Flow limitation is the beginning or onset of an obstruction. On a psg we can see this in your respirarory waves long before an event happens. I don't understand you said your nachine went up and stayed up for a while. Does this mean it came down again? If you have flow limitation your pressure needs to stay at a high enough rate to prevent this.
I have a Respironics BPAP w Auto. I use EncoreViewer and it shows nightly flow limitation. I average 0.6 flow limitations and last nights was 0.7. I was seeing that my pressure last night went up (from 16I-14E) each time I had a flow limitation and the pressure stayed up for awhile in some cases, in other cases it only stayed up briefly..........When you say the beginning of an obstruction, you mean the beginning of an apnea? Then my pressure going higher stopped the apnea which I take to mean that the BPAP is doing a good job.

Rock Hinkle said:
The new quattro has a big dial on the forehead that helps adjust it to your face. I was not aware that the new machines adjusted for flow limitation. Flow limitation is the beginning or onset of an obstruction. On a psg we can see this in your respirarory waves long before an event happens. I don't understand you said your nachine went up and stayed up for a while. Does this mean it came down again? If you have flow limitation your pressure needs to stay at a high enough rate to prevent this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service