Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Well, I finally got the FitLife Total Face Mask that will spare the bridge of my nose.  My nose could not take any more punishment, even after more than 15 days off the Quattro, within three days I was back to square one.

I used the FitLife for the first time last night.  I'll add to this as I get more experience with it.

I liked it last night.  I had some minor leaks but they were easily dealt with by lifting the mask off my face (straps attached) and gently repositioning it.  I had to wear the quattro tight, in spite of what everyone says I could never get it to float on a cushion of air on my face.  Loosening the straps made the leaks worse.  I just had to tighten that thing down.  The FitLife is totally different - it's a very simple mask with one  cushion- not one over another one  like the quattro (I know I'm not saying that very well) . It was easy to run my finger along the seal to reseat it.  It looks more like a scuba mask that also covers your mouth.  I do have to sleep on my back with it as it extends so far out around the side of my face- from over the eyebrows, around the eyes and under the lower lip.

I did have to change some machine settings so I need to get the DME to make sure everything is right and that I'm getting the right pressure this mask is so big. The machine was set on spontaneous and that won't work with this mask.  It felt like it was breathing without me instead of with me.  I sure have more sympathy now for people who say they feel like they're fighting the machine.  My leak was good- 0.12, but as I said I'm not sure of the numbers with this mask.  AHI and AI were high (32.6/19), but that's after about 20 days off the machine.. The mask solves my nose problem, seems like it's going to work, and is comfortable.  As I said I need to get with the DME and make sure the machine settings are correct.  This mask is so different things might need to be tweaked to use it with my ResMed machine.  The mask is so new I went online to Phillips web site to register it and they don't even list it as a choice.  I bought it at CPAP.com for $144.00, still would be waiting on the DME who only has small ones.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks,

Mary Z.

Views: 1273

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a discussion about the FitLife at apneasupport.com started by a sleep tech:

Respironics FitLife mask comment from a sleep tech
I'm a sleep tech in GA and recently went through a great mask fitting workshop conducted by Respironics. When I received a launch shipment of the new FitLife masks a few weeks ago I thought, "Yeah, right!" and put them aside. After learning more about the mask in the workshop I decided to try it on patients who are claustrophobic or intolerant of other masks. Now I am a believer! The hardest part is convincing a patient to try something that looks so ginormous! Our Respironics rep suggested we just smile and say, "Come on, humor me! If you don't like it we will take it off and try something else." Works like a charm, and the mask is a godsend for folks who have tried and failed everything else. I've had especially good luck with a firefighter and a diving instructor. I would encourage techs and patients alike to give FitLife a chance.

FitLife mask forehead leak
In the workshop we had our Respironics rep told us the forehead leak is the only real ongoing complaint they have had with the mask. She is hopeful that this problem can be eliminated going forward with a bit of refinement. She said the best way to fix it is to press securely on the mask over the spot where the leak is worst and then tighten the top straps while applying the pressure. The problem is that this may be a bit difficult for the patient to do it at home while wearing the mask! Hadn't thought about the drooling problem, will have to watch out for that and warn patients. Thanks for answering my post and good luck to all of you.
As to the leaks with the FitLife- I think it's probably the only mask that requires four hands or a friend to get it on and fitted. I was able to use this mask a few times between surgeries, and as I said, when I use the masks silicone reapplied nightly (not new silicone, I take it off, roll it in a ball and put it in something air tight, use it again the next night) it has 0 leaks, never had this with any mask before. With that and not having to "listen" to the bridge of my nose for any hint if pressure or pain, it's without a doubt my faviorite mask.
Oh, and thanks for the hints from the respironocs techs.
I have been using the large version of this mask. Last night I tried a small version. I was a little small over my face- fit on top of the eyebrows and right under my lower lip. Not foo uncomfortable- no silicone seal, 0.0 leaks.

Mary Z said:
As to the leaks with the FitLife- I think it's probably the only mask that requires four hands or a friend to get it on and fitted. I was able to
Continued to go between the large and small version of this mask, they really need a medium, and have finally settled on the small. It's a little small for me, but I can adjust it to 0.0 leaks, though my numbers aren't great from sleeping on my back. Putting the macks silicone on every night, even though it doesn't take long and I can reuse it was getting old. Especially taking it off every morning. I do have a bit more leeway in turning this way and that with the small mask. The bridge of my nose is forever greatful.
I even took a dremel to my quattro and couldn't smooth out that plastic edge without destroying the mask. Which I did, but it's now serviceable as a spare with lots of glue and a new cushion.

I hope Respironics takes our feedback into account and continues to refine this mask.

Mary Z said:
I have been using the large version of this mask. Last night I tried a small version. I was a little small over my face- fit on top of the eyebrows and right under my lower lip. Not foo uncomfortable- no silicone seal, 0.0 leaks.

Mary Z said:
As to the leaks with the FitLife- I think it's probably the only mask that requires four hands or a friend to get it on and fitted. I was able to

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service