Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I HAVE A RESMED MIRAGE LIBERTY FACE MASK WHICH HAS THE NOSTRIL PILLARS ATTACHED, AND AM NOT HAVING VERY GOOD SLEEPS BECAUSE OF THE LEAKING AROUND THE PILLARS. PROBABLY CAUSED BY MY MOVING DURING THE NIGHT.

CAN ANYONE CONTRIBUTE SUGGESTION AS TO HOW TO STOP THIS LEAKING WHICH STOPS ME FROM DEEP SLEEPING
REGARDS.........TOM

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do not shout as you will wake everybody up

when you put all things in uppercase it is considered shouting

the originator can edit this and put into sentence case
Hi Tom,

Well, I'veonly been doing this for close to two months, so I'm no expert.

But I've found that the trick with the nasal pillows type is to snug it up towards the top of your head, then snug it towards the back, though I've never tried the Mirage Liberty, so I have no direct knowledge of how it works.

I've found that the nasal pillows type of mask can be more comfortable, but mine does leak a lot more than the nasal mask or the full-face mask that I have.

I've also found that I tend to have the mask adjusted more loosely than it should be, so when I tighten it up, it usually works better.

At my last sleep study, I brought my nasal mask along, to ask how they would recommend adjusting it. The tech took the straps and pulled them so tight I thought the thing was going to be permanantly attached to my face! She said, "That's how tight it's supposed to be." It was way tighter than I've ever had it, and I can't imagine how I could sleep like that.

Point is, you may be keeping it a bit looser than it should be. Maybe try tightening it up until things improve, then try backing off a little each night until you find the right adjustment?

HTH...
The Liberty is a complex mechanism & some folks are not able to make friends with it. The nasal pillows are so tall that they are unstable. On a brighter note, I have a few patients who insisted on trying Liberty & it works well for them. Since you already have it, I hope you get it worked out.
Hey Tom!
I almost have the same issue. I have the Philips Respironics Comfort Gel Nasal Mask, while its comfortable, I get leaks. I have tried tightening, Loosing, adjusting it ever way possible for it not to leak. Then I found my problem. Its ME! I sleep on my sides. While it’s hard to adjust you’re sleeping patterns, but making the adjustments might be a better choose. Maybe a new pillow might help a lot. I am currently looking for a new pillow specifically designed for CPAP Mask. If this helps me out make my adjustments and it works, I'll blog about it.

Side Notes.
Look For a Firm Pillow With The C Cuts on both sides. Search Ebay and CPAP Pillows On Google.

Nate
www.CheapNate.com
Keeping it real, Real Cheap!
Hey Tom:

I, too, have a Liberty Mirage mask. If you are leaking around the pillars make sure they are installed into position correctly. I don't know of a Mirage mask that has the pillars attached. They do come with 3 sets of nasal pillars so you can change them to the size you want. Make sure the pillars are detachable, which I am sure they are. Then reinstall them and pull up on the pillars to make sure they are locked into place. Once I kept hearing air leaking around the base of the pillars and it turned out that I did not pull them through the holes of the mask all the way and they were not locked into place.

Sleepy Carol always talks about using Mack's silicone ear plugs to fix leaking problems. I swear by it. If your nasal pillars are attached and leaking around the base you can use Mack's silicone to plug up the leak. Always make sure that you are not plugging up the vent of the mask that should have air streaming out. Never stop the air flowing out of the mask from the vent.

Also check to see that the nasal pillars are the right size. If the holes in the pillars are too big you will leak from your nostrils. Sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint leaking. Make sure of where the leak is coming from.

Hope this is helpful.
oh dear 99 relax. This is an informative forum. Uppercase, lowercase, does it really matter. geesh..

99 said:
Do not shout as you will wake everybody up

when you put all things in uppercase it is considered shouting

the originator can edit this and put into sentence case
I have a question about the nasal pillows--I have a real problem with stuffy nose at night, and I use a spray decongestant before going to bed. I currently use a facial (around the nose area only), and have considered the pillows, but am afraid it would aggravate the stuffiness. What do you think?

Andy said:
Hi Tom,

Well, I'veonly been doing this for close to two months, so I'm no expert.

But I've found that the trick with the nasal pillows type is to snug it up towards the top of your head, then snug it towards the back, though I've never tried the Mirage Liberty, so I have no direct knowledge of how it works.

I've found that the nasal pillows type of mask can be more comfortable, but mine does leak a lot more than the nasal mask or the full-face mask that I have.

I've also found that I tend to have the mask adjusted more loosely than it should be, so when I tighten it up, it usually works better.

At my last sleep study, I brought my nasal mask along, to ask how they would recommend adjusting it. The tech took the straps and pulled them so tight I thought the thing was going to be permanantly attached to my face! She said, "That's how tight it's supposed to be." It was way tighter than I've ever had it, and I can't imagine how I could sleep like that.

Point is, you may be keeping it a bit looser than it should be. Maybe try tightening it up until things improve, then try backing off a little each night until you find the right adjustment?

HTH...
Claude ---Is your nasal decongestion spray over the counter or prescription?

The reason I ask is that the over the counter sprays have a rebound effect and makes things worse typically. It may seem like you are getting relief initially, but when the spray starts wearing off you find yourself more congested than before.

What is the cause of your congestion? Allergies, cold, sinus issues? Try getting what is causing the stuffiness under control. This may mean a trip to the doctor if you are using an over the counter spray. If you already have a doctor in the loop, ask about other possible solutions. I have found that certain brands of meds don't work as well either. Have you tried others?

Getting back to the issue of the Liberty. How long have you been using this mask? Have you tried others? Do you mouth breath where a full face mask is your only choice? Make sure that you have the pillows inserted correctly as Lynne suggested. Are the right size pillows? Not all DMEs have fully knowledgeable staff that can correctly fit masks (I know from first hand experience on this one).

If this is your first mask, it may not work for you. Many of us have had to try mulitple masks before finding one that works best for us. Your mask shouldn't have to fit so tight that is causes discomfort, but does need to be snug enough not to leak.
The decongestant is over the counter, spray, which I use only at night. Yes, the doctor keeps scolding me about that, but I tried using the fluticasone that he prescribed, and used it for a month, with no results. I know it takes time to work, but I can't breathe. The ent wants to do laser (or rf) surgery on the turbinates in my nasal area, but I'm just not convinced that will help.
I have suffered from this for years--I seem to be fine during the day, then as soon as I lay down, I plug up. I keep the pillowcases clean, use an allergy cover under the pillowcase, etc., but nothing seems to help. I used to take decongestant tablets, but they quit working effectively.

sleepycarol said:
Claude ---Is your nasal decongestion spray over the counter or prescription?

The reason I ask is that the over the counter sprays have a rebound effect and makes things worse typically. It may seem like you are getting relief initially, but when the spray starts wearing off you find yourself more congested than before.

What is the cause of your congestion? Allergies, cold, sinus issues? Try getting what is causing the stuffiness under control. This may mean a trip to the doctor if you are using an over the counter spray. If you already have a doctor in the loop, ask about other possible solutions. I have found that certain brands of meds don't work as well either. Have you tried others?

Getting back to the issue of the Liberty. How long have you been using this mask? Have you tried others? Do you mouth breath where a full face mask is your only choice? Make sure that you have the pillows inserted correctly as Lynne suggested. Are the right size pillows? Not all DMEs have fully knowledgeable staff that can correctly fit masks (I know from first hand experience on this one).

If this is your first mask, it may not work for you. Many of us have had to try mulitple masks before finding one that works best for us. Your mask shouldn't have to fit so tight that is causes discomfort, but does need to be snug enough not to leak.
Hi, Claude!

I use a Swift II and a Swift LT for Her. Both use nasal pillows. I find that the pressure of the CPAP (set at 11) really helps get past the nasal congestion I have at night. I'm able to get along without nasal sprays or medications, and I find I breathe better sleeping with the mask than without it. I've had the rebound effect with medications and find I do better, most of the time, without them, saving them for rare colds or allergic reactions.

I also sleep on my sides. The best solution I've found to mask movement and resulting leaks is the buckwheat hull pillow. It works much better for me than the cut-pillows. I have trouble with the cut-outs keeping my head correctly placed while on my side. I seem to get placed correctly, then fall asleep and my face turns down into the cut-out. The buckwheat hull pillow lets me place myself and stay that way when I fall asleep. If I rouse enough later to be out of position, or on my other side, it just takes a few gentle pokes to the pillow to get the right support again. Since the buckwheat hull pillow is totally adjustable, it provides support and comfort exactly where it feels best to you and removes pressure where you don't want it. I have trouble with pressure from mask headgear on my temples when I lie on my side, but the pillow lets me put a dip in the pillow where I don't want pressure and support where I do.

Best of luck to you. Keep trying! You will find something that works for you.
Do you side-sleep? or are you back and side? When you say "moving" is that from side to side or just shifting on one side? We definitely see improvement in mask stability and leakage issues with more stable pillows during side-sleeping. Side to side shifting is more difficult to address.
Tom -

I have the exact same mask and have the exact same problem. I've tried every size of the pillars - every single one leaks. I check their position in the mirror before I lay down so I know they are in correctly. It's usually just one that leaks so I tried mixing the sizes (cut the little center piece holding them together) and that didn't work either. I spent more time awake at night trying to adjust the pillars than I did sleeping. I was really hoping this mask would work because my comfort full mask makes me feel claustrophobic.

Sorry I don't have any advice to give (although I think I'm going to try the Mack's silicone ear plugs), but know that others out here can sympathize!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service