Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

99 replied to Mary Z's discussion AHI finally under five.
"Hi Richard I mainly use an empty humidifier as it reduces noise"
Feb 16
richard graham left a comment for richard graham
"When I can afford it I'd like to get New machine with heated tube"
Feb 10
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion AHI finally under five.
"I would like to see this forum active again as well. I will be more aware of what's going on"
Feb 10
ZolliStar posted a discussion

If you have trouble falling asleep....

I thought that when I got my sleep apnea diagnosis, that -- at last! -- all my sleep problems had come to an end.Ha!I have trouble falling asleep. Indeed, I rarely feel sleepy at night although I do feel tired. I even cut back on computer at night, etc., etc. (and installed f.lux on my computer) but I still had trouble. Now I'm doing something different: wearing special glasses (Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear glasses). They block out the blue -- and they're making a difference! First I tried…See More
Feb 1
99 replied to 99's discussion colloidal silver
"i have purchased some silver the make my own colloidal silver"
Dec 21, 2014
99 replied to 99's discussion colloidal silver
"just add to the distilled water it is antimicrobial eg cleans your machine and is beneficial for keeping you healthy  from bugs germs viruses you get the picture and when you need to clean the humidifier out, put water on your plants the silver…"
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"If the heated tube works with your machine I would try that.  They also make covers for your tubing which may help some.  I think the heated tube may be your answer.  Keep us posted."
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"Richard, some folks just use the humidifier in a Passover mode.  They just don't turn it on, but let the air pick up moisture without heat."
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z replied to 99's discussion colloidal silver
"99, where have you been?  Do you add the colloidal silver to your humidifier?"
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z replied to Andy's discussion Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??
"I Andy, I realize I'm months behind your post.  I have no idea why your S8 would stoop collecting data.  I'm glad to hear  you're having such improvement with your apnea.  I have made great strides since I changed…"
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z replied to Andy's discussion Resmed S10 AirSense - Anyone have one? Any feedback?
"Andy, just found your post.  I don't know anything about this new machine.  How are you liking your new ResMed?"
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z left a comment for Kay Day
"Kay, I haven't been around myself and miss the old, active forum."
Dec 21, 2014
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"Hi Richard,  I don't bother with a humidifier.  Someone on the forum suggested not using it and I'm a lot less congested without it.  A good AHI is under 5.  I use the Wisp and have been since it came out.  I think…"
Dec 21, 2014
hifay replied to Mary Z's discussion Sleep apnea increases risk of osteoporosis
"Always something. Thanks for the information."
Dec 21, 2014
99 posted a discussion

colloidal silver

a humidifier can be used with colloidal silverthis can keep the humidifier clean for day maybe weeks or longer without the need to clean the humidifiersilver colloidal is antimicrobial and you could just top up your humidifier without cleaning and at the same time treat your bodyor you just put silver on it own into the humidifierSee More
Dec 20, 2014
richard graham posted a status
"I feel like the humidifier is making me feel yucky and I'm waking up hacking and having to clear my throat a lot for a while."
Nov 3, 2014
richard graham posted a discussion

what's a good AHI?

I've been using and auto and it says my AHI HAS been between 4 and 6 and wondering what's a good range.
Nov 2, 2014
Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S10 AirSense - Anyone have one? Any feedback?

Hi All,I've just ordered a new Resmed S10 AirSense, and I was wondering if anyone here has used one?Any information or input would be appreciated!See More
Sep 29, 2014
Andy replied to Andy's discussion Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??
"Hi All, Well, I went to the sleep doc today, and he ordered a new S10 for me! I still don't know why my S8 is not tracking data anymore. Anyone have any ideas?"
Sep 29, 2014
Oscar Lemus updated their profile
Sep 25, 2014
Can anyone please tell me if they are using oxygen instead of the CPAP machine. I could not tolerate the CPAP machine, I told my Dr I wouldnt be able to use that and sleep. The forced air would wake me up when it ramped up as I had a feeling of bein suffocated. So she put me on Oxygen.

Views: 3290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sue,
Hi! This is Melodie (Mel) and I am also an oxygen patient, but I have central sleep apnea too. I am on oxygen due to the fact that I have Emphysema. When my pulmonologist found that I also have the central sleep apnea, he added a Bi-PAP Auto SV unit to my oxygen and the oxygen is bled into the Bi-PAP at a rate of 4 liters per minute for "nocturnal" usage. My actual Bi-PAP Auto SC unit has 3 different settings, and it is set at 14-4-14.

The forced air is actually quite helpful to me, as just the oxygen itself wasn't helping me enough. Now that the oxygen is bled into my Bi-PAP, I actually sleep and feel much better - that is WHEN I SLEEP. I also have Narcolepsy and fall asleep during the day and have no control over it, so I am prescribed "Provigil" to keep me awake, and then "Seroquel" at night to help me sleep. It sounds crazy - and trust me - it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I take a whole Provigil tablet in the morning, then I cannot sleep at all that night, and sometimes the next night too. I feel like a total zombie half the time and am just waiting for the doctors to figure out the best combinaton to help both problems.

Hope this crazy response is helpful to you or anyone else in the group. And if anyone has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Melodie (Mel) Aultman-Morris
Melodie said:
Sue,
Hi! This is Melodie (Mel) and I am also an oxygen patient, but I have central sleep apnea too. I am on oxygen due to the fact that I have Emphysema. When my pulmonologist found that I also have the central sleep apnea, he added a Bi-PAP Auto SV unit to my oxygen and the oxygen is bled into the Bi-PAP at a rate of 4 liters per minute for "nocturnal" usage. My actual Bi-PAP Auto SC unit has 3 different settings, and it is set at 14-4-14.

The forced air is actually quite helpful to me, as just the oxygen itself wasn't helping me enough. Now that the oxygen is bled into my Bi-PAP, I actually sleep and feel much better - that is WHEN I SLEEP. I also have Narcolepsy and fall asleep during the day and have no control over it, so I am prescribed "Provigil" to keep me awake, and then "Seroquel" at night to help me sleep. It sounds crazy - and trust me - it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I take a whole Provigil tablet in the morning, then I cannot sleep at all that night, and sometimes the next night too. I feel like a total zombie half the time and am just waiting for the doctors to figure out the best combinaton to help both problems.

Hope this crazy response is helpful to you or anyone else in the group. And if anyone has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Melodie (Mel) Aultman-Morris
Sue said:
Melodie said:
Sue,
Hi! This is Melodie (Mel) and I am also an oxygen patient, but I have central sleep apnea too. I am on oxygen due to the fact that I have Emphysema. When my pulmonologist found that I also have the central sleep apnea, he added a Bi-PAP Auto SV unit to my oxygen and the oxygen is bled into the Bi-PAP at a rate of 4 liters per minute for "nocturnal" usage. My actual Bi-PAP Auto SC unit has 3 different settings, and it is set at 14-4-14.

The forced air is actually quite helpful to me, as just the oxygen itself wasn't helping me enough. Now that the oxygen is bled into my Bi-PAP, I actually sleep and feel much better - that is WHEN I SLEEP. I also have Narcolepsy and fall asleep during the day and have no control over it, so I am prescribed "Provigil" to keep me awake, and then "Seroquel" at night to help me sleep. It sounds crazy - and trust me - it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I take a whole Provigil tablet in the morning, then I cannot sleep at all that night, and sometimes the next night too. I feel like a total zombie half the time and am just waiting for the doctors to figure out the best combinaton to help both problems.

Hope this crazy response is helpful to you or anyone else in the group. And if anyone has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Melodie (Mel) Aultman-Morris
Hi Melodie,
I am a first time user here and as you can see tried to send a response a couple of times without my response. :)
I thank you for your response because Sleep apnea is a new diagnosis for me. I have several other diagnosis I am dealing with as well. I have COPD, yup from smoking but i have been smoke free for 2years 2months and 14 days. How about knowing those exact numbers :) only from an ex smoker counting the days in hopes of better lung capacity. I see you were on oxygen first due to emphysema.
I was on oxygen but they took it away when my readings were high enough to not be qualified per the insurance company. Then, after having a sleep study done they found my levels went down several times during the night due to apneas. I think i have central apnea as well and am going to ask my Pulmanologist about your set up with the Bi-Pap. I would think they would have asked to have another oximeter overnight reading with the oxygen to see what if anything it is doing. Thank you again for your reply because it has given me another idea.
Thanks, Sue Grasso
Sue,

Please follow up with your doctor on this. Typically oxygen will not keep the throat open. One has to adjust to therapy and it is not overnight process. For many it takes several weeks to a few months to become adjusted to therapy.

What was your pressure? You may see if it could be turned down some -- or better yet try getting an apap so that the machine can have a range of pressures. You could stay at a lower pressure and have the machine go up when you are having apnea events.

You may need another sleep study to see about a bipap or other type of machine depending upon your diagnosis. Just don't give up.
Oxygen and CPAP or BiPAP (bilevel) is not the same thing. Sleep apnea (at least obstructive sleep apnea) is a mechanical problem that 9 out of 10 times is caused by a weakness of the tissue in the back of the throat above the voice box. Depending how bad the sleep apnea is, one may experience low oxygen levels during apneic episodes. While using oxygen alone can help with the low oxygen produced by the sleep apnea, it in no way treats the sleep apnea. It is the sleep apnea that causes the stress on the heart and other organ systems.

The goal is treating the sleep apnea. If you're having problems with CPAP you need to speak with your sleep professional to find other options. Find a lab that will work with you as much as you need.
Sue said:
Hi Melodie,
I am a first time user here and as you can see tried to send a response a couple of times without my response. :)
I thank you for your response because Sleep apnea is a new diagnosis for me. I have several other diagnosis I am dealing with as well. I have COPD, yup from smoking but i have been smoke free for 2years 2months and 14 days. How about knowing those exact numbers :) only from an ex smoker counting the days in hopes of better lung capacity. I see you were on oxygen first due to emphysema.
I was on oxygen but they took it away when my readings were high enough to not be qualified per the insurance company. Then, after having a sleep study done they found my levels went down several times during the night due to apneas. I think i have central apnea as well and am going to ask my Pulmanologist about your set up with the Bi-Pap. I would think they would have asked to have another oximeter overnight reading with the oxygen to see what if anything it is doing. Thank you again for your reply because it has given me another idea.
Thanks, Sue Grasso


Sue,
My Pulmonologist didn't find the Central Sleep Apnea until he realized that the C-PAP wasn't giving the results he had hoped for, so he ordered another sleep study and then found that I actually have the Central Sleep Apnea.

I AM getting MUCH BETTER results from the Bi-PAP (bilevel) device and now my oxygen levels during the daytime are improving as the physician had hope for, but he is still continuing the oxygen bleed into the Bi-PAP at this time and until further notice.

You MUST see your physician and do not get frustrated and give up on the PAP machine until another sleep study has been done! Hopefully your physician will obtain a better overview of your particular needs in another sleep study and if necessary change your PAP machine accordingly. If he/she feels that you also need oxygen - they will order it to be bled into the PAP device for you and the DME will give you the proper equipment according to the doctor's findings. And do keep taking any medications for your COPD!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us informed on your situation and good luck!
Melodie (Mel)
Dave D. said:
Oxygen and CPAP or BiPAP (bilevel) is not the same thing. Sleep apnea (at least obstructive sleep apnea) is a mechanical problem that 9 out of 10 times is caused by a weakness of the tissue in the back of the throat above the voice box. Depending how bad the sleep apnea is, one may experience low oxygen levels during apneic episodes. While using oxygen alone can help with the low oxygen produced by the sleep apnea, it in no way treats the sleep apnea. It is the sleep apnea that causes the stress on the heart and other organ systems.

The goal is treating the sleep apnea. If you're having problems with CPAP you need to speak with your sleep professional to find other options. Find a lab that will work with you as much as you need.
Sue, I have COPD and when I was Dx'd w/OSA via an in-lab sleep evaluation I read up on all the problems patients have acclimating to CPAP therapy. My Dx was mild OSA. After thinking it over I cancelled the in-lab titration study and asked my family doctor to order an overnight oximetry. The overnight oximetry readings qualified me for overnight oxygen use and my family doctor scripted the overnight oxygen.

Sometime later the sleep pulmonologist called me to ask if I intended to reschedule the titration study and I told him I had opted to go on oxygen instead. He suggested that after I had been on overnight oxygen for 3 months to call him and he would order an overnight oximetry w/the overnight oxygen. He was a heck of a nice sleep pulmo so I obliged - and the overnight oximetry showed I was still desatting w/the oxygen!

So, I scheduled the in-lab titration study (oh yeah! despite I like this doc, trusting soul that I am (not) I still got a copy of the results to see for myself!) and sure enough I needed the titration study - and CPAP. *sigh*

The good news tho is that while after a goodly amount of time on CPAP w/2L of oxygen bled in another overnight oximetry w/CPAP indicated I no longer needed the oxygen bled in, CPAP was sufficient. And altho I was sleeping so much better and feeling so much more rested I still wasn't really up to par. I was switched to a bi-level and am doing great - finally.

So be patient and be willing to work your way thru this. If you and your doctor work as a team you can make a success of this therapy.
Can anyone please tell me if they are using oxygen instead of the CPAP machine. I could not tolerate the CPAP machine, I told my Dr I wouldnt be able to use that and sleep. The forced air would wake me up when it ramped up as I had a feeling of bein suffocated. So she put me on Oxygen.

I have heard of this treatment before, even from several nurses who refused to tolerate CPAP. It makes no sense to me. With sleep apnea, air cannot enter your lungs. What makes the doctor think supplemental oxygen will enter your lungs when you are having an apnea?
If you cannot tolerate the xPAP treatment at all, then you have to consider other treatments. Oxygen itself cannot treat your SA.
Henning
I was put on oxygen in 2006, the study showed I needed it at night. I had 3 sleep studies over a period of three years. The first two studies, the attendants had me use the oxygen. Sleep study almost normal, the last study without oxygen showed that I average going into shallow breathing or stopped breathing 51 times an hour. You can use the oxygen, but don't neglect apnea, either can kill.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2015   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service