Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Hello!

I'm Jen, a newbie, but not new to sleep apnea :) (or should that be a sad face)!

I've had this issue off and on for about six years, but it has been worse lately. Currently, I am not using any machine/mask or other treatment.

The last sleep study I had was three years ago, and at that time, I was told my case didn't warrant a CPAP machine, nor would my insurance cover it because my case was considered mild. Now, I sleep too much, never feel rested, and I miss work about three days a month because I am so stinkin' tired. I don't go out with my friends as often, I hardly exercise because I'm fatigued, and I generally have heavy eyelids and a heavy headed feeling all the time. My moods are iffy, I have difficulty concentrating at work, and I feel too young for all of this (I'm 41)!

I have another appt. scheduled for next week, and since it's been so long, I've been told the dr. will want to schedule another study. Can you share any advice or questions I should be asking the doctor? I really need some relief to improve my quality of life.

Glad to find this forum!

Views: 686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That IS the definition of sleep deprivation. The organism "feels" that it has not accrued sufficient sleep and commands the body to "fall" asleep. And if the deficit is in REM, I call it narcolepsy and, in general, sleeping regular hours do not help.  I am ready to take a nap just after breakfast. Infact I just woke up from an intrusion of a 20 min REM sleep/nap. These periods have been used by many artists, writers, scientists to tap from their creaivity sources.

JC

Jen Thompson said:

Hi Chris,

Room is dark. No I don't like to eat late. Caffeine? I drink it by the gallon. Doesn't help me stay awake anyways...

I try to go to sleep around the same time, but my struggle is getting up since I feel like I've never been to sleep. I'm not getting enough REM sleep. I could put my head down right now . :)

That IS the definition of sleep deprivation. The organism "feels" that it has not accrued sufficient sleep and commands the body to "fall" asleep. And if the deficit is in REM, I call it narcolepsy and, in general, sleeping regular hours do not help.  I am ready to take a nap just after breakfast. Infact I just woke up from an intrusion of a 20 min REM sleep/nap. These periods have been used by many artists, writers, scientists to tap from their creaivity sources.

JC

Jen Thompson said:

Hi Chris,

Room is dark. No I don't like to eat late. Caffeine? I drink it by the gallon. Doesn't help me stay awake anyways...

I try to go to sleep around the same time, but my struggle is getting up since I feel like I've never been to sleep. I'm not getting enough REM sleep. I could put my head down right now . :)

JC,
With all due respect, please don't add your spin to this.
This whole thing is confusing enough without all the extra terms.
Thanks.

Juan-Carlos Lerman said:

JC

Jen Thompson said:

Hi Chris,

Jen, good luck and keep us posted. Remember CPAP is the gold standard for treatment of sleep apnea. Alternatives such as Provent and dental devices are available. Surgery is the choice of last resort though you may want to see and ENT that does sleep apnea surgery for an evaluation.

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Jen, I wonder if you could have hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness) or narcolepsy without an underlying sleep disorder.  There are two meds commonly prescribed to treat both- Provigil and Nuvigil.  SInce your sleepiness is having such a negative impact on your life perhaps your doc would prescribe one of them.  They are not habit forming or abuseable. Ask you doc about a Multiple Sleep Latency Test.  It will determine if you have either condition.  It is usually done after an overnight sleep test.

Thanks, Mary...I do have the sleep study scheduled (FINALLY) for Thursday night. After seeing the doctor last week, they lagged in getting it set up until I called this morning to speed up the process. I am still dealing with the headaches, heavy-headed feeling, drowsy eyelids, and feeling like breathing as if I'm still in a deep sleep. I visited with a coworker this morning who also uses a CPAP and she gave me a few tips. I really believe something is going on to prevent me from getting deep, restorative sleep.

I shared my concerns and questions about surgery, but my dr. wants me to try the CPAP for a while before talking about other options. He said not all surgeries are successful and a patient may end up going back to the CPAP anyway (Not what I wanted to hear)! So we'll see how things go later this week, and hopefully I can get set up with a machine soon after.

Quick question - do all CPAP machines require using distilled water? My coworker did mention that, along with getting a machine with a humidifier.

Jen, yes CPAP machines use distilled water to prevent build up of the minerals in your tap water.  You still have to clean the humidifier every week or so with white vinegar and water (regular water).

CPAP is definitely the best way to go.  Try your best to adjust to using the machine.  We have heard from a few people for whom Surgery worked, but for most it did not.  An exam by and ENT may turn up other problems- deviated septum, enlarged turbinates, or enlarged tonsils which if treated may help with your use of the machine.  Surgery sounds like an easy answer, but I urge you to thouroughly investigate you options.If you have an ENT exam you will need a copy of your sleep study.  You may have another sleep disorder breathing problem than OSA.

Good luck on Thurday.  If you have a special pillow or take anything to sleep, take that along.  Be prepared to tell the tech your meds.

Hi,
My sleep study results didn't indicate any sleep apnea. Now I am scheduled for a multiple sleep latency test on the 29th. If nothing shows up, I will see a rheumatologist for more tests.

Thank you for writing, Juan-Carlos.

I'm worried that I might have multiple problems. My mother had narcolepsy, so I may be at risk. So far, I'm dealing only with the apnea.

Things are better for me since my diagnosis six months ago, but I would have thought that I would feel much better by now, maybe even be a ball of energy.. That said, I no longer feel the terrible exhaustion that I used to feel. I can also stay awake at lectures, concerts, operas, plays -- all kinds of things. Wonderful!

I think we all need to keep in mind that those of us with disturbed sleep may have multiple problems/disturbances operating at the same time. We have to be -- and remain -- our own best advocates.

Again, thanks for writing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service