Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

My cpap dries out my throat -causing me to wake up - even with the humidifier's moisture setting on high

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I have ordered a second humidifier to increase the moisture out during the night, but I am wondering if others have had success doing something else.

Regards,
Ray 

Views: 4001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the fullface mask didn't solve the issue, buy a cheap sports mouthguard like athletes use(without the part that attaches to a helmet). Buy a couple since you may mess one up during the boiling & fitting process. They cost only $2-6. Follow the instructions exactly. When they say remove it from the boiling water after 7 seconds, that means EXACTLY 7 seconds or it is ruined (too soft) for fitting. It fits the top teeth, maintains a natural jaw space to prevent clinched jaw pain & may help you train yourself to keep your mouth closed. It worked for me anyway. You do not need a custom $200 dentist created one. If you continue to be a mouth breather, perhaps you should consult with an ENT doctor to see if you had a deviated septum condition. With clear nostrils, alternately hold each nostril closed and breath for 30 seconds each. If you can detect reduced airflow in one nostril, make an appointment. I had one side opened up and it was amazing how much better I could breath. It didn't cure anything however. If the same, flip a coin. In my laymen opinion naturally. Garry
I use a chin strap and turn up the temperature on my heated humidifier.

Ray,

You don't mention the mask.  A full face mask almost always requires more humidity than a nasal device.  However, full face masks are often used when nasal devices are tried with a chin strap and a mouth leak persists.  If you need a full face mask for this reason then you need to find a way to fix the humidity issue.

There are a few people that suffer dryness regardless of what they do.  However, here are the things you can check and fix, if they apply, that may help.

1.  Assure that your humidifier is working.  Is the chamber warm? 

2.  Do you have a mouth leak?  Several things happen with a mouth leak that will cause dryness.  The machine tries to compensate for the leak.  This causes the air to flow through the humidifier faster, and as a result will not pick up as much of the moisture.  Try a chin strap.  If you still have a mouth leak even though the chin strap is tight, then you will require a full face mask.

3.  Do you have a mask leak?  The same thing happens as with a mouth leak.  Fix the leak.  A different mask may be necessary that doesn't leak with the machine running.  Different masks require different techniques to fix the leak.  Some have straps that help hold the mask in the proper position.  Different type seals can actually work better not tightened as much.  If you have facial hair, the only solution may be to shave.  Remember, you need to have a mask that works with your face.

4. Is your machine on the floor?  If it is, get it up to the height of your head.  People who keep their machine on the floor draw in air that is cooler.  The temperature of the air is a direct factor as to how much water the air can hold.  Cooler air is not able to carry as much water as warmer air.  Raising the machine to head level from a cold floor a can raise the temperature of the air going though your machine to take care of the issue.

5.  What is the temperature of the room?  Again as above, the temperature of the air limits the amount of water the air can hold.  When I worked for a DME, I found that most humidity deficit AND rainout issues went away when the patient kept his room 68 degress and higher.  In the sleep lab, I allow the patient to have the temperature to his/her liking.  The ones that keep the room >68 degrees have much less dryness issues, if any, and virtually no rainout issues.

6.  Check the humidifier on your machine.  I just found out last week, that at least one manufacturer has a mode on their humidifiers that limits the heat on the humidifier to prevent rainout.  No matter how high you turn up the humidifier, the machine will limit the temperature of the humidifier to prevent rainout, totally dependent of the room temperature..  If you have one of these machines, you need to contact your DME supplier or the manufacturer to find out how to disable this feature.  If you do this, you may have a rainout issue if your room is too cold.

7.  A big issue in many cases, but people just don't realize it.  Are you drinking enough water?  If you are not, you may have an issue regardless of how much water you can add to via your humidifier.  Remember, you need adequate amounts of water.  Other liquids don't count.

8.  You may need a visit to your ENT and/or your PCP and be sure that there is nothing else going on. 

I am interested to see how the second humidifier works.  If the first humidifier is working properly, I don't believe that the second will be able to add any appreciable humidity.  Again, the maximum water content of the air is primarily determined by the temperature of the air.  Any excess that you can squeeze into it will rainout.

Please let me know. 

John Krainik,CRT, RPSGT

I suck on a chewable vitamin C tablet during the night and this really helps me.  Just don't choke on it!

Hi there, 

Please DO NOT PUT VICKS into your humidifier! It may void your warranty! Once the smell gets into the gaskets, it will never come out! It is petroleum based! Consider trying Biotene. It is made just for this purpose. 

While a chin strap is a good option, you may consider going with a new lower profile full face such as the Quattro FX. While historically I have not been a Quattro fan, this one is pretty great!  I have fitted patients up to 22 cm/h20 with perfect seal. If you are a chronic allergy sufferer, this may be a good solution. It is half the size of the typical full face and fits mid bridge allowing you to have an unobstructed view when relaxing or getting up to use the restroom. Let me know how this works out for you. 

Thanks, Sheri.  I am using a Quattro full face mask and have begun wondering what the alternatives are.  The Quattro is all I have ever used, but it needs to be pretty tight to prevent leaks and this can hurt.  When it is time, I may try the FX.  Because of cost I hesitate to try different masks willy nilly.  Your comments on the FX were very helpful.

John
Sheri Fellat said:

Hi there, 

Please DO NOT PUT VICKS into your humidifier! It may void your warranty! Once the smell gets into the gaskets, it will never come out! It is petroleum based! Consider trying Biotene. It is made just for this purpose. 

While a chin strap is a good option, you may consider going with a new lower profile full face such as the Quattro FX. While historically I have not been a Quattro fan, this one is pretty great!  I have fitted patients up to 22 cm/h20 with perfect seal. If you are a chronic allergy sufferer, this may be a good solution. It is half the size of the typical full face and fits mid bridge allowing you to have an unobstructed view when relaxing or getting up to use the restroom. Let me know how this works out for you. 

I had the same problem (using a Quattro) until I switched to a "Hybrid" (brand name) mask.  The "Liberty" from another company works the same.  Although I'm naturally a mouth breather, full humidification keeps everything loose enough so I've had no trouble breathing through my nose.  If I have to mouth breathe I still can without losing any of the pressure benefits  Making sure you're not dehydrated at the beginning of the night is also a big factor.

I have a mask that covers the nose AND mouth -- and have only had the problem you mentioned if I forget to fill up the water tank.

What kind of mask are you using?

My mouth dries out, but I do not breathe through my mouth. I use a F&P SleepStyle 600. 

I have started to just put cough drops in my mouth, and this helps somewhat. 

The machine is set only on 7, have tried the humidifier on all settings. I just get to feeling somewhat suffocating if it is above 2, gets to warm.

Anyway, this has not helped me to sleep any better. 

Thanks for posting this question.

I put drops of olbas oil in my humidifier and it helps a lot !!

Corinne said:

Hi Ray,

I am having the same problem.  My doctor recommends putting Vick drops in the humidifier which I plan to try.  I'll let you know if it works.

Bests, Corinne

I have the same problem using a full face mask.  The two chin straps I tried were so bulky.  I use a mouth spray if I wake up during the night.
Did you use the bioteen spray? I tried that and it did nothing for my problem.

Sandra Ceslowitz said:
I have the same problem using a full face mask.  The two chin straps I tried were so bulky.  I use a mouth spray if I wake up during the night.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service