Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Kay Day left a comment for Kay Day
"September 1, 2014 My apologies to Sleep Guide for not participating in a long time. In January 2012 I started classes at the local community college (my husband is an instructor there, and my tuition is refunded when my grades are above a C. My…"
11 hours ago
Mary Z posted a discussion

Sleep apnea increases risk of osteoporosis

Sleep apnea/osteoporosis study finds “increased” health riskA recently published study may have found a connection between obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and osteoporosis, marking yet another health…See More
Aug 23
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea
"Hi ZolliStar, I've heard before that speech therapy, or singing lessons can help sleep apnea.  The problem at that time was there was no way to determine which exercises help.  Getting research done, rather than anecdotal would be…"
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion

Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea

Some people report that singing -- singing! -- really helps their sleep apnea. Dr. Stephen Park said that myology (which are exercises to strengthen muscles around the inside of one's mouth area) helps some. I think singing would be better.  If you read all the FAQs on this (click below), I think you'll agree that it makes sense for some. Maybe you.http://www.singingforsnorers.com/index.htmSee More
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion
Jul 20
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"I talked to Kimberlie at the Novant Sleep lab last week (at Prince William Hospital) and she said they would not be holding any meetings this year but are planning to start holding meetings again next year.  I'll let you know when we have…"
Jul 14
richard graham posted a status
"I just have mask called the Wisp. Hope it works. Anybody have experience with it. I have an ultra mirage nasal mask and get leaks at brid"
Jul 9
Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??

Hi All,First off, my apologies for not checking in for a long time.I've been using my Resmed S8 AutoSet II for almost 3 years! I feel great, have lost almost 30 lbs, am no longer sleepy during the day, sleep through the night, and have my short-term memory back.Yay!I've told my doctors that I'm the "poster child" for Sleep Apnea and CPAPs! It's been, and continues to be, such an amazing experience that I want everyone to know!Everything has been going well in CPAP-land, but in the last few…See More
Jul 7
hifay replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"What type of chin straps?"
Jul 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"No real improvement in sleep study.  Just not having to use cervical neck color.  What a bummer. Surgeon wants another sleep study in about a month or so (home one) Not sure if will do or not. "
Jun 22
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Ginny, how are you doing after the tongue procedure?"
Jun 22
Mary Z posted a discussion

AHI finally under five.

I have been on CPAP since March 2008 and had a good AHI when I started therapy (under 5).Then my AHI started getting worse- for a while it stayed in the 20's, then we got it to the high teens.  Nothing we did would help.  My doctor said it was due to the meds I take.  For a couple of years I just tolerated the high AHI.  I did another sleep study and changed to an ASV machine.  For two years I still had a AHI around 11-13.  Then all of a sudden - a month ago I noticed my AHI was running five or…See More
Jun 22
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"FWIW, I've been alternating between my mouth device and my APAP. I haven't used humidity at all when I use the APAP -- and don't miss it, either. "
Jun 14
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I still use humidity but less of it. It seems to be working OK.."
Jun 14
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I rarely use the humidifier. I think it's less necessary during the summer when there is humidity.   I also switch between my mouth device and the APAP.  I like each for different reasons. Not sure with which I sleep better, though.…"
May 21
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I've been doing well.  I think you were going to try the cpap without humidity- did that help at all?  I haven't had a cold for a couple of years."
May 14
Ginny Edmundson replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"CPAP seems to cause stuffiness in many of us.  ANother reason I hate it so much!Do you rinse your nose with saline once a day…maybe before you go to bed for the night? "
May 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I do wake up stuffed up most days"
May 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I do have non allergic rhinitis. Now I'm thinking that's probably it because I only feel that way for a day or 2. Thank you"
May 4
Ginny Edmundson replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I have been lucky.  Not one cold past three years. Could some of your problem be allergies?"
May 4

I use a ResMed VPAP S with a Quattro FX full face mask. Each morning I check my numbers and have noticed that when the mask leakage number is low my AHI is high. For example

Leakage Rate       AHI

    0.14                 3.2

    0.00                 6.9

    0.24                 2.8

    0.04                 9.4

 

I can't make sense of this pattern. What is my machine trying to tell me?

 

Thanks

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those are average numbers over the entire night and are limited in their utility. Drawing conclusions from these numbers is problematic.

Do you have the ResScan software? The nightly detail report showing minute-by-minute when the breathing events are happening and what the leak rate is at that time are much more useful.

It is quite common to have clusters of events or clusters of leaks. For instance, if you slept 7 hours the night you had 6.9 events per hour (AHI), you could have had two clusters of 24 and 25 events in say two periods of 45 minutes and no events in the other five and a half hours.

Software is invaluable in my experience with troubleshooting and optimizing one's therapy.

i will not argue against banyon on the need for the software. However those numbers are good.

AHI was still a little high on a couple of nights, but that just may take time to settle down. Leaks seem acceptable. I won't argue against the importance of software for more closely examining the issues.  I gave up on using my software, however.  For me the nightly data from the machine is sufficient.  I am just not personally a CPAP geek (nothing implied here), I admire people intererested and involved in their therapy who take the trouble to use the software.  I guess I am just lazy.

It is very interesting to see the physical evidence of how (in cliusters?) your apneas and hypopneas occurred and how long they lasted.

Reply by RockRpsgt 21 hours ago

 However those numbers are good.

 

They may be good enough for a sleep professional but not good enough for the patient. LOL.

Another example for you: The night showing AHI of 9.4. If he slept 7 hours that means he had about 65 events. What if all 65 of those events happened in a one hour period? That kind of therapy is totally unacceptable to me.

What if the 65 events were well distributed over the night but many of them were 90 seconds or longer? That is horrible therapy.

Repeating my point, you cannot accurately judge the effectiveness of Tom's therapy by summary data.

The detail software report gives you more critical information that can many times be used to make large improvements in one's therapy and consequently quality of life.

 

 

I have a VPAP S and the Rescan software I have doesn't give me the granularity you speak of; I wish it did.  Thanks for your comments

Banyon said:

Those are average numbers over the entire night and are limited in their utility. Drawing conclusions from these numbers is problematic.

Do you have the ResScan software? The nightly detail report showing minute-by-minute when the breathing events are happening and what the leak rate is at that time are much more useful.

It is quite common to have clusters of events or clusters of leaks. For instance, if you slept 7 hours the night you had 6.9 events per hour (AHI), you could have had two clusters of 24 and 25 events in say two periods of 45 minutes and no events in the other five and a half hours.

Software is invaluable in my experience with troubleshooting and optimizing one's therapy.

I'm not complaining about the numbers rather I suspect that Leakage and AHI are related some how.

Thanks for your reply.

RockRpsgt said:

i will not argue against banyon on the need for the software. However those numbers are good.

Hi Mary, long time no see... Even with the cable I got from you I don't think the VPAP S will provide the kind of data that Rock and Banyon are referring to; would you concur with that assesment? Hope all is well with you, Tom

Mary Z said:

AHI was still a little high on a couple of nights, but that just may take time to settle down. Leaks seem acceptable. I won't argue against the importance of software for more closely examining the issues.  I gave up on using my software, however.  For me the nightly data from the machine is sufficient.  I am just not personally a CPAP geek (nothing implied here), I admire people intererested and involved in their therapy who take the trouble to use the software.  I guess I am just lazy.

It is very interesting to see the physical evidence of how (in cliusters?) your apneas and hypopneas occurred and how long they lasted.

But I need an S9 to get that kind of data, yes?

Banyon said:

Reply by RockRpsgt 21 hours ago

 However those numbers are good.

 

They may be good enough for a sleep professional but not good enough for the patient. LOL.

Another example for you: The night showing AHI of 9.4. If he slept 7 hours that means he had about 65 events. What if all 65 of those events happened in a one hour period? That kind of therapy is totally unacceptable to me.

What if the 65 events were well distributed over the night but many of them were 90 seconds or longer? That is horrible therapy.

Repeating my point, you cannot accurately judge the effectiveness of Tom's therapy by summary data.

The detail software report gives you more critical information that can many times be used to make large improvements in one's therapy and consequently quality of life.

 

 

Reply by Tom Cannon 11 hours ago

I have a VPAP S and the Rescan software I have doesn't give me the granularity you speak of; I wish it did.

 

Find the exact model of machine in the table in the link below and see if there is a check mark in the column ResScan Version 3.14. Let me know your findings.

 

http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/service_support/device_compa...

Tom, my ST A did not give AHI and AI data.  These were reported as 0.0, instead of "no data" which was very confusing.  I knew that night after night I did not have a 0.0 AHI.  I finally got an email from ResMed where they did confirm that the ST A US version did not report AI and AHI.  For that machine I used the nine pin null modem cable to download data, not the ResScan cable.

I did see it written that AI and AHI were recorded, but it was not true for that machine.

 

Welcome back, Tom.

How long has he been on PAP? What was his original AHI? Without those numbers you can't evaluate anything with any amount of data. Tom wanted to know what those numbers meant. Rather than giving an explanation you used it to push your agenda.  Which by the way I support. ;)

 

I stand behind my comment: Those numbers are good! Could they be better? Yes!

 

How do you feel Tom?

 

Unlike others I am not here to push an agenda. I am here to help. Making tacky pokes at sleep professionals is one thing. Making them at someone who has done nothing but show support is another. I ask you once again to save them for those whom to deserve it. LOL!

Banyon said:

Reply by RockRpsgt 21 hours ago

 However those numbers are good.

 

They may be good enough for a sleep professional but not good enough for the patient. LOL.

Another example for you: The night showing AHI of 9.4. If he slept 7 hours that means he had about 65 events. What if all 65 of those events happened in a one hour period? That kind of therapy is totally unacceptable to me.

What if the 65 events were well distributed over the night but many of them were 90 seconds or longer? That is horrible therapy.

Repeating my point, you cannot accurately judge the effectiveness of Tom's therapy by summary data.

The detail software report gives you more critical information that can many times be used to make large improvements in one's therapy and consequently quality of life.

 

 

Your leak rates are within a normal range. Banyon is correct in that these numbers are just a summary. They do little to show any type of trends.

Tom Cannon said:

I'm not complaining about the numbers rather I suspect that Leakage and AHI are related some how.

Thanks for your reply.

RockRpsgt said:

i will not argue against banyon on the need for the software. However those numbers are good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service