Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

How To Properly Fit a Mask. From a Techs Point of View.

First get your bed comfortable. Gather all of your creature comforts and make your nest. this reduces unwanted trips out of bed after the you have the mask on. This is important as you could wake your self up.

TURN YOUR MACHINE ON. Your mask should be filled with air when fitting.

Next I prefer to put the mask on sitting upright. Put the mask on just so that it rest on your face. It should be leaking at this time. (if you have a Resmed adjustable mask crank it out so that the forehead is pushed out as far as possible.)

Now I lay down on my back and listen to my mask leak for a second. Doing this trains your mind to hear them. Adjust the bottom straps first. Undue them and pull them straight out from the mask(the mask will want to slide down the straps). this is to even out the straps. If they are not even stop and fix it! Now evenly tighten the mask down just enough to form seal around your mouth(FFM) or the bottom of your nose(nasal).

Next do the sam with the top straps. Remember the top strap is more of an ancher. It should rest on your forehead rather than dig into it.(At this time if you have a Resmed adjustable mask crank it down. it should hug the bridge of your nose and finsh the seal).

Stop listen. you should not be uncomfortable and you should not here any leaks. The mask should be resting on your face at this point not digging or rubbing but resting. If it hurts loosen it.

If you hear leaks you have to options. 1 pull it straigh up off of your face and set it back down. this will sometimes fix it.
2 you can run your finger in between the seal and your skin all the way around the mask to ensure that the seal is folded under to do its job.

once you have these steps down the others are easy. Turn on your right, and left sides and adjust to rid leaks as well. This is important because the seal won't be the same on your sides as it is on your back. Set your self up for success and adjust for all positions.

Remember it only has to be as tight as you can handle comfortably. If you can't form a comfortable seal then you need a different mask.

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there a youtube video on how to do what you're describing?

It's been a while now and I found that I am using my CPAC less and less because of the leaking. Talked to my tech and he said that I not adjusting the mask correctly, but no matter what I do half way through the night it start making noises. Is there a way to find the right size fitting mask with less trial and error? I tried doing this and it work until later in the night and if I pull the straps real tight it gets uncomfortable. 

Bruce,

Just a pet peeve...

it is CPAP

Continuous 

Positive

Airway 

Pressure

Place the mask on your fact with the machine on.

Adjust the mask to fit AS LOOSE AS POSSIBLE so that the air does not leak

[The mask should NOT be strapped onto your face causing your skin to turn white, nor be uncomfortable.]

It could very well be that the mask you have is not suited to you, and you need one that will conform to your face better. There are other interfaces that go directly against the nose and not on the face per se. These carry their own pros and cons as well. Have you visited one of the many online CPAP suppliers (google cpap supplies) to see the spectrum of interfaces available? Have you told you physician that the leak/mask fitting is keeping you from using your therapy? It is important they know. 

Somnonaut, just a pet peeve Somnonaut, but don't rehash what Rock posted.  How many CPAP users do you think have tried different masks (excuse me interfaces) never to find THAT ONE the fits comfortably to their particular face.  Users try liners like Remzzzs or Quietus to alleviate the leak situation only to find it does a modest job.

One cannot continue to order and receive all the masks available on the internet because of insurance issues or costs issues.  Maybe their DME only carries certain masks and will not carry more brands.

Mask fitting is unique to the individual face because everyone is different.  One size fits all does not apply here.  Additionally, our face may change characteristics during the night (example facial oils from sweating) that cause a leak.

By the way, even if one type of mask seems to fit well, when you get a replacement it may not conform to the same specifications as the last one you had.  Remember, products are manufactured to specs having a + or - tolerance.

Lastly, I hope you don't think that a sleep physician can resolve a leak issue.  That gets referred to the DME.  The doc gets paid way too much to get concerned about leaks.

Somnonaut said:

[The mask should NOT be strapped onto your face causing your skin to turn white, nor be uncomfortable.]

It could very well be that the mask you have is not suited to you, and you need one that will conform to your face better. There are other interfaces that go directly against the nose and not on the face per se. These carry their own pros and cons as well. Have you visited one of the many online CPAP suppliers (google cpap supplies) to see the spectrum of interfaces available? Have you told you physician that the leak/mask fitting is keeping you from using your therapy? It is important they know. 

One thing I have found to be more effective than I originally thought is to clean the cushion every night with mild soap and water - takes a couple minutes.

I do keep the straps tight - if I spring a leak I make them tighter.  Of course I can sleep through just about anything.

Adjusting the forehead angle was also very helpful - making it straighter helped me which seemed counterintuitive.

After my first experience with patience with medical remedies (birth control pills) and the fact that it took years for me to get to a sleep doctor (my very good doctors didnt think to refer me) this is another thing requiring patient input and persistence.

He he I learned about the finger thing bc my nose begins itching the minute I put the mask on.  When reaching in to scratch it I cant help but run my finger around that part of the mask and noted the improvement

Judy said:

Wow, Rock Hinkle!!! I never realized we should adjust the bottom straps first!!! I've always done the top ones first.Thanks for that tip. I won't forget it.

I was never much of a one for "hearing" leaks, but I sure am sensitive to FEELING leaks! The only person who EVER suggested running the finger along the seam line between mask and face to seal the cushion was my sleep lab manager/owner who was the RRT/RPSGT who scored my first PSG evaluation, titration and MSLT tests years ago. AND it works!!! I'm delighted to see you do that too.

Rock Connor, I'm sure you have plenty of mask fitting tips you can share w/us as well. PLEASE do so!

Bruce, tightening the straps till they are uncomfortable is usually counter productive.  Have you tried any of the mask liners- Quietus, RemZzzs, or Pad-A-Cheek?  Another old remedy is to take Macks Silicone Earplugs (from the drug store or WalMart) and roll as many of the ear plugs as you need into a thin roll the size of a pencil and then place around the perimeter of the mask.  Change daily.  I take the silicone off in the morning, roll it in a ball, put in an airtight container and reuse the next day.  Once you place the mask the silicone makes a seal. I use the FitLife Total Face Mask and have very little leakage (I don't use the earplugs).  I also don't turn on the machine until I have the mask in place.  That just works for me.  My straps rarely need adjusting once they're set.

thanks for the post SOMNONAUT, it was helpful

Charles McDermott said:

Somnonaut, just a pet peeve Somnonaut, but don't rehash what Rock posted.  How many CPAP users do you think have tried different masks (excuse me interfaces) never to find THAT ONE the fits comfortably to their particular face.  Users try liners like Remzzzs or Quietus to alleviate the leak situation only to find it does a modest job.

One cannot continue to order and receive all the masks available on the internet because of insurance issues or costs issues.  Maybe their DME only carries certain masks and will not carry more brands.

Mask fitting is unique to the individual face because everyone is different.  One size fits all does not apply here.  Additionally, our face may change characteristics during the night (example facial oils from sweating) that cause a leak.

By the way, even if one type of mask seems to fit well, when you get a replacement it may not conform to the same specifications as the last one you had.  Remember, products are manufactured to specs having a + or - tolerance.

Lastly, I hope you don't think that a sleep physician can resolve a leak issue.  That gets referred to the DME.  The doc gets paid way too much to get concerned about leaks.

Somnonaut said:

Glad to hear my comment was helpful. 

As to Charles McDermott, I was not rehashing anything. These are tried and true issues of CPAP mask application. As a CPAP user for over 10 years and a sleep professional for now 28 years, I think I have some concepts and ideas to offer people, at least those who listen tell me so. Those who wish to complain about having to read something similar to another post on a forum...I can only recommend to parse all postings and cull the one or two sentences or phrases that may help. The internet is not the trusted corner pharmacist who you usually go to for guidance on using medical prescriptions. It is the internet. It is up to you to make the most of it.

richard graham said:

Charles McDermott said:

Somnonaut said:

Your comment was very helpful indeed, Somnomaut.

Charles, for some of us (my hand is raised) it can be very useful and helpful to read the same concept said in different words by a different experienced person especially if he or she is a professional who also relies on CPAP therapy..These individuals bring "double insights" (so to speak) to the table and I am always grateful when they contribute. 

Thank you very much for your contribution(s), Somnonaut. They're appreciated.

Somnonaut said:

As to Charles McDermott, I was not rehashing anything. These are tried and true issues of CPAP mask application. As a CPAP user for over 10 years and a sleep professional for now 28 years, I think I have some concepts and ideas to offer people, at least those who listen tell me so. Those who wish to complain about having to read something similar to another post on a forum...I can only recommend to parse all postings and cull the one or two sentences or phrases that may help. The internet is not the trusted corner pharmacist who you usually go to for guidance on using medical prescriptions. It is the internet. It is up to you to make the most of it.

richard graham said:

Charles McDermott said:

Somnonaut said:

Unfortunately Somnonaut all you could say about my post was my comment on you rehashing what was said.

My point was that all the "professional" advice you want to bring to the table about how to put a mask on has to modified by a persons facial structure etc. and that not many people get that kind of advice and hands on personal help.

Maybe you haven't read as many posts as I have about mask complaints.  Then why not you are a professional for 28 years and know it all.

Somnonaut said:

richard graham said:

Charles McDermott said:

Somnonaut said:

Unfortunately all you could take away from my post was your myopic perspective. If you would have actually comprehneded it, instead of using it as the knee-jerk reactionary material you seem to need to incite flame wars against those who come to share information, you would have read that I told you to parse the posts and extract that which you may find informative. No matter, with your level of pissed-offedness, no post can be the end all be all for you. 

And BTW, when did you get voted to be the speaker for all the people who have ever posted regarding mask fitting? Did I miss the balloting? As a user for over 10 years, I never was asked if flame baiters like you should represent my interests on mask fitting.

We are trying to get people to wear CPAP, you seem to be interested in getting people to be pissed off at their clinicians.

Moderators: Please ascertain if this user has the same ends as the group. If not maybe he needs to find a different forum to ply his disgust of the profession in.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service