Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

How To Properly Fit a Mask. From a Techs Point of View.

First get your bed comfortable. Gather all of your creature comforts and make your nest. this reduces unwanted trips out of bed after the you have the mask on. This is important as you could wake your self up.

TURN YOUR MACHINE ON. Your mask should be filled with air when fitting.

Next I prefer to put the mask on sitting upright. Put the mask on just so that it rest on your face. It should be leaking at this time. (if you have a Resmed adjustable mask crank it out so that the forehead is pushed out as far as possible.)

Now I lay down on my back and listen to my mask leak for a second. Doing this trains your mind to hear them. Adjust the bottom straps first. Undue them and pull them straight out from the mask(the mask will want to slide down the straps). this is to even out the straps. If they are not even stop and fix it! Now evenly tighten the mask down just enough to form seal around your mouth(FFM) or the bottom of your nose(nasal).

Next do the sam with the top straps. Remember the top strap is more of an ancher. It should rest on your forehead rather than dig into it.(At this time if you have a Resmed adjustable mask crank it down. it should hug the bridge of your nose and finsh the seal).

Stop listen. you should not be uncomfortable and you should not here any leaks. The mask should be resting on your face at this point not digging or rubbing but resting. If it hurts loosen it.

If you hear leaks you have to options. 1 pull it straigh up off of your face and set it back down. this will sometimes fix it.
2 you can run your finger in between the seal and your skin all the way around the mask to ensure that the seal is folded under to do its job.

once you have these steps down the others are easy. Turn on your right, and left sides and adjust to rid leaks as well. This is important because the seal won't be the same on your sides as it is on your back. Set your self up for success and adjust for all positions.

Remember it only has to be as tight as you can handle comfortably. If you can't form a comfortable seal then you need a different mask.

Views: 10686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Mirage Quattro is exactly the same way, Mary.

Susan McCord :-)

Mary Zimlich said:
Rock, Thanks,
Everything you said works for me but starting with the machine on. The pressure blows the soft part of my Mirage Quattro out so it's impossible to place down on my face. I usually get some leaks as the night goes on as I move around alot, but tightening the mask on the bottom always helps and is not uncomfortable. Maybe the headgear stretches out some during the night.

Anybody tried one of those special pillows? I'm wondering if I could make one myself.

Thanks,

Mary Zimlich
I don't have any suggestions re: mask, Jeanne, but I've experienced that "hearing my pulse in my head" thing--it's annoying, and keeps me from sleeping when it happens. Thankfully not often....anyone know what causes that???

Susan McCord

Jeanne Berry said:
Thanks, this helped. the sleep center has sent me home with many models to try for a few nights. I have a TINY problem. I have tried 11 masks, and finally have one that seems to work. But, I hear my pulse all the time, except if my head is in one position all night. Then, my neck is sore. I asked my doc, and he said he had heard this complaint a few times before, and followed up with neurological studies, and nothing was ever found conclusive. The thump, thump, thump is annoying, but I can live with it. Any suggestions?
Yeah, I'm a medium small, too and haven't found a comfortable mask in between yet. I use a bandaid over the bridge of my nose with one end folded over (a small bandaid), the pad does not irritate my skin. I also finally found out how to use the forehead adjuster on my Mirage Quattro full face mask and that took a lot of pressure off my nose.

Good luck,
Mary Zimlich
Thanks. This is very helpful for a newbie.
ZZZZZZZ
Thanks Rock. The only instruction I had on using my mask was in the sitting position ..... last night using your advice and also bits picked up on the discussion (eg silicone ear plugs) was the best I've had with my mask. Again many thanks
How do you change the humidity level? I am really tired of waking up and drinking about 10 galons of water and still being thirsty

Rock Hinkle said:
I don't get to experience this much, but when I do have a pt that is a long time PAP user they usually don't make any adjustments. they put it on like it was a sock cap move it around a little and are ready to go. Also if my pt is a veteran I won't even try to fit the mask for them. this way I can see if they are doing it right, and also it show s me if they are having problems with leaks. I do however Talk to my vets about any problems they might be having. I will let them try on any mask they want to try. I try to show them newer versions of their own as well as the ones that might be different. I will usually run a vets titration with the humidity set at one. Almost everyone wakes up surprised that they are not stuffy like I am some kind of miracle worker. You would not believe how many vets don't know they can change the humidity level.

Judy said:
It so helps w/that first self-fitting to have a second pair of hands and who can see that the fit is balanced equally on both sides. But we CAN do it ourselves w/a little more time and patience (and sometimes cussing) as we try to get each side equal. Practice makes perfect. And when you get it exactly where you want it, where the fit is comfortable and leak free - don't make any further adjustment, take your mask off in a manner that doesn't affect the fitting you've made.
there should be a little dial on top of the humidifier chamber that adjusts it. just turn it higher..

Hope Sadler said:
How do you change the humidity level? I am really tired of waking up and drinking about 10 galons of water and still being thirsty

Rock Hinkle said:
I don't get to experience this much, but when I do have a pt that is a long time PAP user they usually don't make any adjustments. they put it on like it was a sock cap move it around a little and are ready to go. Also if my pt is a veteran I won't even try to fit the mask for them. this way I can see if they are doing it right, and also it show s me if they are having problems with leaks. I do however Talk to my vets about any problems they might be having. I will let them try on any mask they want to try. I try to show them newer versions of their own as well as the ones that might be different. I will usually run a vets titration with the humidity set at one. Almost everyone wakes up surprised that they are not stuffy like I am some kind of miracle worker. You would not believe how many vets don't know they can change the humidity level.

Judy said:
It so helps w/that first self-fitting to have a second pair of hands and who can see that the fit is balanced equally on both sides. But we CAN do it ourselves w/a little more time and patience (and sometimes cussing) as we try to get each side equal. Practice makes perfect. And when you get it exactly where you want it, where the fit is comfortable and leak free - don't make any further adjustment, take your mask off in a manner that doesn't affect the fitting you've made.
I have always had that set at 5. I was just wondering if there was any way to get the machine to go higher or if there is something else that will help?

Mike said:
there should be a little dial on top of the humidifier chamber that adjusts it. just turn it higher..

Hope Sadler said:

Rock Hinkle said:
When you wake up is the humidifier chamber empty and do you use a room humidifier also? A room humidifier can help.

Hope Sadler said:
I have always had that set at 5. I was just wondering if there was any way to get the machine to go higher or if there is something else that will help?

Mike said:

Hope Sadler said:

Rock Hinkle said:
no when i get up there is still water left in the chaimber. I cant use a room humidifier my Hubby says it messes his sinues up. any other ideas?

Mike said:
When you wake up is the humidifier chamber empty and do you use a room humidifier also? A room humidifier can help.

Hope Sadler said:
Thank you for going through the steps in order. This is what my RT has told me. He didn't tell me to turn the machine on while I was fitting the mask, however. Maybe that will help me out. Otherwise, you've done a terrific job of describing the process. I like to read before I go to sleep and at first, I'd totally wake myself up putting the mask on, but I'm getting better at it.

Now if you can figure out how a Repironics mask called Easy Fit manages to leave a lovely red mark on the bridge of my nose, you'd be my friend for life! I've tried tightening the upper straps, loosening the lower and vise-versa. My husband can't see where anything touches that area. My RT can't see where it hits but it continues to do it. Seriously, if you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. I think I sleep so much better with the mask and yet my Pulmonologist kind of said, "Well, you take a lot of medication for pain and your pressure is only eight" like it's no big deal and maybe I don't need to wear a mask.

Last month, it was of the utmost importance that I wear the mask but now he's worried that my skin will break down. I've tried on about twenty-five masks and brought home six and this one seems the best. I'm also allergic to the outside of it but I think that's because my face is always swollen on the left side so that's the only place I have the problem.

Yes, I know you're envisioning this odd creature with a line of zits down her face and a very red nose. Shall I mention that I have Strabismus and it gets worse when I have pain? I know; I know; why do I care?

I must say, at least I don't fall asleep while I'm talking on the phone or driving so I'm making headway. The pain meds and the Apnea, I must mention, did not start at the same time and I don't think they're connected.

I've rambled on too long and I don't think this was the appropriate place so please forgive me and I repeat, Kudos to you for making the fitting of the mask sound so easy!
Kathleen, try hanging your hose above your head to reduce the tugging of the nose on your mask. That should greatly reduce the irritation to the bridge of the nose. The inner edge of the cushion can do a pretty good job of slicing into the skin at the bridge of the nose. Fit the mask SLIGHTLY lower on your nose then slide it up into place. That turns the cushion edges under. Also try something like the RemZzzs between your mask and your skin, that should eliminate any allergy to the cushion material.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service