Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

How many of you have actually talked to a Sleep Technologist?

I am not talking about the night of your study either. Forums do not count. I mean a face to face conversation with an educated Sleep Technologist about sleep.

Views: 688

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I am taking poly class, I am in my third semester. Any hints you can give for my boards??? Thanks CB

lia deneau said:
uh, every day and night.... i am a sleep tech... RPSGT.
My only contact with RPSGTs was, maybe, at my two PSGs, (not sure of tech's credentials). I, typically, asked questions, encountering reluctance from the tech, suggesting they were bound by protocol to not discuss any details of the sleep study with the patient. The PSG report would be reviewed by the Sleep Doc and then forwarded to the doctor who requested the PSG. There was no indication that I could consult with the Sleep Doc or an RPSGT afterward, at any time. I think this is so tangled up with contracts, insurance issues, and medical protocol that it is a real disadvantage to patients and probably the medical providers as well.

I would have appreciated a pre PSG consultation like Lia Denaeau talks about. No one, including my PCP explained much about what was going to be done in the PSG study, maybe because they don't want to go into information in detail without a diagnosis. The Sleep Center's website did have some information that was helpful, but having a followup with a sleep professional would have been of great interest to me, especially since my DME & RT seem to mostly just take orders from the PCP or other prescribing M.D. without much interest in explaining the diagnosis to me, the patient. Without the knowledge I've gained from this forum, I don't know where I would be in this process - likely frustrated, confused, discouraged.
Respiratory therapists are also involved in educating the patient. I think part of the problem is that sleep techs perform the sleep study, while the patient is sleeping, then go home to get their own zzzzzz's. There isn't an opportunity for the tech to spend much time educating patients. And in my experience, when you ask questions at your study, the tech tells you that they can't say much because they are not the doctor. I work with a sleep doc and the sleep lab where my studies were done, and I still get that for an answer.

Rock Hinkle said:
That is a good question Mike. One that I can't answer. A better question would be why isn't there more of a dialogue between the RPSGT and the sleep patient. It seems to me that the majority of the sleep knowledge is locked away in the lab from 7pm to 7am. In my opinion the RPSGT holds about 60% of the sleep knowledge with the physicians holding the rest. If the patient is denied access to the sleep doc or tech then who is educating them?
I'm impressed by this protocol as well. Which Sleep Center is it? You should write a review of it on www.SleepSearch.com -- i know that you're biased in that you work there, but as long as you qualify your review/disclose your bias and give useful information about the place, I think it would be okay

lia deneau said:
As the clinical coordinator for our sleep center, each patient is scheduled for a pre sleep consult before their sleep study, to register , go over paperwork, watch an educational video and discuss their night of sleep with us.... sooooo, unless the patient opts out of this...which they normally dont....our patients all get to speak to a registered sleep tech, and I even provide each one with my business card to call me if they ever have any questions.... what do ya'll think?
thanks Mike....

I appreciate it...it was my idea because of the issues with patients.... I am actually thinking of also adding mask fittings into the pre consult...it appears to help with compliance and the patients actually showing up for the sleep study..!
Yes Melinda Rts are very much involved in the education process. I am thankful for them. When you look at the overall picture there are not many Rts that are versed in sleep. Most of them do have PAP knowledge which is helpful. CPAP is only part of the process in correcting sleep. Most DMEs are not allowed to hire RPSGTs that do not have an RT credential. If the RT that works for the DME does not fully understand sleep architecture then how can they be of true service to a patient with sleep problems? Sometimes the answer to bad sleep is not "Just wear your CPAP more." Hospitals require an RT certificate for apnea screeners, but not an RPSGT. Don't you find that odd? Our head screener, who is a very well educated RT, has told me on numerous occasions that he does not understand sleep the way us techs do. I do understand that most sleep techs work nights, but every lab has at least one that works days. The majority of the time that tech is a certified RPSGT.

Melinda Hertel said:
Respiratory therapists are also involved in educating the patient. I think part of the problem is that sleep techs perform the sleep study, while the patient is sleeping, then go home to get their own zzzzzz's. There isn't an opportunity for the tech to spend much time educating patients. And in my experience, when you ask questions at your study, the tech tells you that they can't say much because they are not the doctor. I work with a sleep doc and the sleep lab where my studies were done, and I still get that for an answer.

Rock Hinkle said:
That is a good question Mike. One that I can't answer. A better question would be why isn't there more of a dialogue between the RPSGT and the sleep patient. It seems to me that the majority of the sleep knowledge is locked away in the lab from 7pm to 7am. In my opinion the RPSGT holds about 60% of the sleep knowledge with the physicians holding the rest. If the patient is denied access to the sleep doc or tech then who is educating them?
Wicked grin w/bared teeth. You really wanna stir the pot, donchya, Rock Hinkle. Its really NOT a wise idea to get me started on one of my biggest pet peeves!!! Good thing I don't have the time right now and shouldn't even be peaking in the forum!!
You will be back Judy. This one will eat at you all day.

Judy said:
Wicked grin w/bared teeth. You really wanna stir the pot, donchya, Rock Hinkle. Its really NOT a wise idea to get me started on one of my biggest pet peeves!!! Good thing I don't have the time right now and shouldn't even be peaking in the forum!!
I tell all of my pts that once they talk to the doc that I am available for questions. I give them my work schedule and the best times to reach me. I also tell them about my around the clock involvement with sleepguide. A few pts have ended up here.

Mary Z said:
Yeah, Rock, how available are the sleep techs to us and what would we use them for. I have never talked to a sleep tech outside the lab. Maybe I'll call them today with some of the questions I have for my doctor.
Thanks, Mary Z.

Mike said:
Rock, in the ideal world, when, how often and under what circumstances would we patients speak to a Sleep Technologist?
Not me. Only on the night of one and only sleep study. The respiratory therapist at my DME supplier has OSA and is one of my sources of info. You all on this forum are my other main source.
I haven't talked to the tech at the sleep lab outside of the sleep studies. When I asked her about the results she said she wasn't allowed to discuss this and that the doc will get back to me. She did hint that I would be back though.

My sleep doc has been awesome. She spent an hour with me after the studies going over the graphs in detail. And then at the follow up, she went over the CPAP data in detail and also worked with me to find a better fitting mask. So I haven't really had a need to talk to the tech again.

Chris
No. Never. The results of the sleep test were sent to a capital city 300 km away. The technition did say that I was a very disturbed sleeper.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service