Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Lynn noted in her reply to my last question on two pieces of advice to share with a newbie that after over seven years, she recently found out how to deal with her humidifier.

Actually, I don't know much about it.

My humidifier is heated. I had a bad cold and someone in some forum said that raising the humidity level makes a difference. I did -- and it did make a difference.

Can anyone tell me more about the humidifier? I thought it existed strictly to protect one against dry nasal passages. Obviously, there is more involved.

Thanks!

Views: 2623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I stopped using my humidifier a couple of years ago because I had chronic sinus problems. I live in a humid climate and I have no problems with drying out. Just my experience.

I like this question and don't have a clue as to the answer, so I want to know also.  SHould you raise the humidity when you have a cold?

I also live in a humid climate and if I don't keep it on the lowest setting, I get tons of rain even with a hose snugglie.

In my experience, doctors have always recommended the use of a humidifier for colds.  It helps to break up nasal congestion and clear sinuses.  My sons are in their forties now, and, even when they were babies, their doctors recommended humidifiers for their colds.  The use of over-the-counter rubs, such as Vicks used to be put in them, (vapourizers and humidifiers used to have a reservoir for this purpose) but my doctors have always told me that this was unnecessary, and only made the mist smell.  I hope this helps.

If the surrounding humidity is low (it is where I live), a humidifier definitely makes sleep more comfortable. My new humidifier (the H5i attached to the Resmed S9) has two features that I really like. I can set the actual temperature of the unit (not just 'warmer' or 'colder' like on my old unit), and a heated hose to keep condensation out (I used to get water in my hose, either blocking the air - or drowning me when I turned over!). I do turn up the humidifier temperature when I have a cold, it soothes the air passages and keeps me clearer. I get more rest, which helps get over the cold more quickly (or at least more comfortably).

It's really important to keep the hose and humidifier chamber clean, warm water is a breeding ground for infectious bugs. I had some issues before I got a chamber that can be completely disassembled and cleaned - the 'disposable' chambers are next to impossible to clean properly. I use a rinse of hydrogen peroxide in my hose (followed by lots of water) - same for my headgear. I do get lazy and forget - and then eventually get reminded by my sinuses that I haven't been keeping up with the cleanings...

I have a new ResMed S9 with H5i heated humidifier, but without the ClimateLine heated air tube.  So my humidity control is just a number between 0 and 6, in increments of 0.5, not a temperature or relative humidity.  Does anyone know how this number corresponds to relative humidity?

I'm sure humidity is less controlled without the heated tube.  I am finding that whenever I wake up with the CPAP, my throat and soft palette are quite dry, even when I cranked the humidity control up to 5.0, and I have never found any condensation in the tube.  Although I am in a very dry climate (NM, winter), I am still wondering if the humidifier is doing what it should.

Thanks for the suggestion about hydrogen peroxide in your tube, Richard.

Our estimable RockRpsgt recommended this gemicide product for the chamber and the other headgear items (since I use nasal pillows, it's important):

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=control+iii+germicide&fr=chr-veoh

Rock advises that the germicide is expensive BUT can be used sparingly. Hope this helps you.

I think I'm going to be buying my own machine. If so, I'm going to be sure to get one that allows me to set the actual temperature. I didn't know that was an option, so double-thank you, Richard.

Richard said:

If the surrounding humidity is low (it is where I live), a humidifier definitely makes sleep more comfortable. My new humidifier (the H5i attached to the Resmed S9) has two features that I really like. I can set the actual temperature of the unit (not just 'warmer' or 'colder' like on my old unit), and a heated hose to keep condensation out (I used to get water in my hose, either blocking the air - or drowning me when I turned over!). I do turn up the humidifier temperature when I have a cold, it soothes the air passages and keeps me clearer. I get more rest, which helps get over the cold more quickly (or at least more comfortably).

It's really important to keep the hose and humidifier chamber clean, warm water is a breeding ground for infectious bugs. I had some issues before I got a chamber that can be completely disassembled and cleaned - the 'disposable' chambers are next to impossible to clean properly. I use a rinse of hydrogen peroxide in my hose (followed by lots of water) - same for my headgear. I do get lazy and forget - and then eventually get reminded by my sinuses that I haven't been keeping up with the cleanings...

I would check a few things - how much water are you using each night? I use about a third of the chamber. Also, if you pour water out of the humidifier chamber, is it warm? Is the metal plate under the humidifier chamber somewhat warm as well? (It should be.)

I've never used the H5i without the ClimateLine - I'll have to go try it.

My wife finds that her throat is dry, even with the ClimateLine - but she uses a full-face mask (and breathes through her mouth a lot). With just the nose pillows, my throat is fine - but my mouth is closed all night.

Bruce Bon said:

I have a new ResMed S9 with H5i heated humidifier, but without the ClimateLine heated air tube.  So my humidity control is just a number between 0 and 6, in increments of 0.5, not a temperature or relative humidity.  Does anyone know how this number corresponds to relative humidity?

I'm sure humidity is less controlled without the heated tube.  I am finding that whenever I wake up with the CPAP, my throat and soft palette are quite dry, even when I cranked the humidity control up to 5.0, and I have never found any condensation in the tube.  Although I am in a very dry climate (NM, winter), I am still wondering if the humidifier is doing what it should.

Hydrogen Peroxide is not recommended to clean your hose.  A mild soap and water should be sufficient.  As I understand it, a humidifier is a comfort feature.  You want the air entering your nose/mouth to feel comfortable and not dry your membranes.  Find the amount of humidity that is comfortable for you.  If you have rainout turn it down.  Use distilled water.  Clean with maild soap and water, or vinegar and water.  IMHO.

My respiratory tech recommended vinegar and water (1:3) once a week for the water reservoir, and nothing but mild soap (no lotion soap) and water for everything else.

Is there a good reason one should not used reverse-osmosis filtered water?  I would think it would be close enough to distilled to be used.  Seems to me the only issues are possible mineral deposits and germ growth in the reservoir, since none of the water leaves the reservoir except as a vapor.

Mary Z said:

...  Use distilled water.  Clean with maild soap and water, or vinegar and water.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check the water temp tomorrow morning.  The water has been going down about 1 of the marked levels, which I am presuming is about 1/4 of the tank.  I am using nasal pillows, so it is possible that during deeper sleep, I may drop my mouth open, in spite of the chin strap I also wear.  If the machine is OK, my best guess is that I open my mouth, air starts rushing, and within a few minutes it wakes me up, but not before my throat gets really dry.  Only a guess, though.

Richard said:

I would check a few things - how much water are you using each night? I use about a third of the chamber. Also, if you pour water out of the humidifier chamber, is it warm? Is the metal plate under the humidifier chamber somewhat warm as well? (It should be.)

I live in Massachusetts and during cold nights my bedroom can get down below 50 degrees which would cause my mask to fill with rain. But I found a simple solution; I keep my CPAP on my mattress and run the hose under my covers, problem solved. 

Depending on the type of heating system you have in your home, the adjustment varies. Oil heat is dry and when you use the CPAP be sure to use the humidifier in ON position. I start with my warm water which is distilled and every day I empty the old left over water. The bacteria from warm water could make you sick. Better to dump and rinse and dry it with paper towels. then at night I just put a measuring cup (not the cpap container) in the microwave for about ten seconds. Not hot, just warmer than room temperature because it takes a long time to get warmed up and this helps. Some people like the number 2 setting. It is a matter of how you end up feeling in the morning OR if you wake up and are thristy, you are too dry. Summer time I turn the humidifier on off and do not use it because the air conditioner causes me to get too many colds. Keep in mind that even if you have the heat on the humidifier in the summer, your air conditioner is making the tube cold and the room cold and it never gets warm enough to help  you the way you want. Dry is better in the summer. JMO. I also clean my tubing with baby shampoo. Just a tad in the swishes and then rinse with distilled water completely and let it air dry before I use it again. Well, if you have dry nasal passages you may find that warm moisture will dry it out even more. well I am using it a whole year now and love it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service