Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"As of now I no longer have to use a chin strap.  I am anxious about the sleep study.  Wondering if I will be able to sleep WITHOUT the CPAP….even thought I hate it it is a part of every night now and is what I am used to.  "
1 hour ago
Clueless in Redwood Shores replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"I had it on the same outpatient basis.  Much pain, no long term gain.  I did not have the annual repetition - that might or might not have made the difference. "
3 hours ago
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"glad to hear it, Richard.  Keep us posted."
Apr 13
Mary Z left a comment for richard graham
"Glad to hear it's working, Richard."
Apr 11
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"The chin strap is helping. Been having better sleep. Thanks Ginny and Mary for your help"
Apr 11
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Thanks, Mary~  Fingers are crossed.  My pressure is one point lower than when I began (7) and AHI is some lower (7 day average).  I am anxious about sleep study as I have not slept without CPAP in 2.5 years!   "
Apr 6
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Good job, Ginny Hope the sleep study shows some good results."
Apr 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Last procedure done!  This time he gave me meds to take before so less anxiety while waiting!  For the first time I was able to eat normal food on the way home after the procedure.  No pain after 12 hours.  If it only works.…"
Apr 5
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Some folks run their humidifiers in passover mode- not turning on the heat just letting the air blow over the water.  That would not give any heat though. "
Apr 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Interesting, I actually feel a little better when I don't use the humidifier, but the humidifier helps with sinuses. The cold air stuff's me up. Gonna try running heat and a nasal spray"
Apr 4
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Good luck with it- let us know how you do, Richard."
Apr 4
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I just picked up a new chin strap and will use it with my ultra mirage."
Apr 4
richard graham posted a discussion

nasal sprays

Just wanting some suggestions for some good nasal sprays to dry up sinusus. Thank you
Apr 3
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Thanks Mary"
Apr 3
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I have both.  I use the chin strap with my Wisp and I also have a FFM if I choose to use that one. I'm a mouth breather.  I find nasal masks are easier to fit without leaks"
Apr 3
Mary Z replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"Nasacort is now available without a prescription.  I personally use Afrin on the rare nights I need it for being stuffed up."
Apr 3
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"Mary, do you recommend a good nasal spray?"
Apr 2
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"Wondering if mouth breathers do better with FFM"
Apr 2
richard graham posted a discussion

mouth breathing

I'm a mouth breather, and am wondering weather to get a chin strap or affm
Apr 2
richard graham replied to Mary Z's discussion Using comfort features
"I've been thinking about trying a nasal spray. Thanks that's useful info."
Apr 2

After my 2nd week I've become quite hoarse, and its been that way for over two months now.  I used to be an entertainer, singer, and impersonator in my early life, and had quite the vocal range, now.......I could give the guy that says, "Beef, it's what's for Dinner!" a real challenge

 

Anyone else experienced this??

Rregards,

SRB

Views: 674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My father experienced something similar to you when he first started using his CPAP. He found that he became hoarse (not totally) and his throat always felt a bit dry. It doesn't seem to happen all that often now but he still finds the CPAP machine an annoyance.

 

I also suffer from sleep apnea but haven't needed to use a CPAP machine so I can only speak from the experience of my father.

 

I read a great review on a product that claims to help people with sleep apnea get a good nights sleep without the need of a CPAP machine. I past the details on to my dad yesterday, hopefully it can help.

The review is below if you are interested

http://honest-health-product-reviews.com/reviews/cure-your-sleep-apnea-without-cpap/

I didn't follow the link above- there is not a cure for sleep apnea, only treatment.  Have you tried adjusting your humidity a bit higher?  I don't know what's causing your hoarseness, I have never heard of that as a side effect of CPAP, they do seem related, though.  If it continues I would see a doc- either your PCP, sleep doc, or perhaps an ENT- this is perhaps just coincidental with the start of therapy and could be something you should not ignore.  Be on the sdafe side and get checked out if upping the humidity doesn't help.

Thanks for the reply, and I'll take a look at the article.  I have a nice, moist throat in the morning, but I actually need to force the words out.  Been to two specialists, and they are not too worried about it until after my two nasal surgeries.

My unit has adjustable, heated moisture control.  Check to make sure your Father's have it.

Regards,

Steve

Lyndsey Pollard said:

My father experienced something similar to you when he first started using his CPAP. He found that he became hoarse (not totally) and his throat always felt a bit dry. It doesn't seem to happen all that often now but he still finds the CPAP machine an annoyance.

 

I also suffer from sleep apnea but haven't needed to use a CPAP machine so I can only speak from the experience of my father.

 

I read a great review on a product that claims to help people with sleep apnea get a good nights sleep without the need of a CPAP machine. I past the details on to my dad yesterday, hopefully it can help.

The review is below if you are interested

http://honest-health-product-reviews.com/reviews/cure-your-sleep-apnea-without-cpap/

I got used to mine, like after the first night.  My BP dropped some 20 points, and heartrate about 10 BPM average......after the first week.

After about 10 days, I was detailing my cars and doing yard work, some pretty hard stuff.

I think it actually saved my life, as my body was shutting down after years of sleep deprivation.

Now at 55, I look like I 'm in my 40's, and the body is looking pretty darn good for an older man, LOL

Steve


Lyndsey Pollard said:

My father experienced something similar to you when he first started using his CPAP. He found that he became hoarse (not totally) and his throat always felt a bit dry. It doesn't seem to happen all that often now but he still finds the CPAP machine an annoyance.

 

I also suffer from sleep apnea but haven't needed to use a CPAP machine so I can only speak from the experience of my father.

 

I read a great review on a product that claims to help people with sleep apnea get a good nights sleep without the need of a CPAP machine. I past the details on to my dad yesterday, hopefully it can help.

The review is below if you are interested

http://honest-health-product-reviews.com/reviews/cure-your-sleep-apnea-without-cpap/

Thanks Mary.......I left another reply below. They have given me reflux, med, prednisone, new sprays, etc.  I am scheduled for three nose surgeries, and they want to wait till after those to address the throat.

Steve

Mary Z said:

I didn't follow the link above- there is not a cure for sleep apnea, only treatment.  Have you tried adjusting your humidity a bit higher?  I don't know what's causing your hoarseness, I have never heard of that as a side effect of CPAP, they do seem related, though.  If it continues I would see a doc- either your PCP, sleep doc, or perhaps an ENT- this is perhaps just coincidental with the start of therapy and could be something you should not ignore.  Be on the sdafe side and get checked out if upping the humidity doesn't help.

I didn't think about reflux/ GERD, but it often goes along with OSA and certainly could cause your hoarseness.  Good call.  That would be fairly simple to treat.

I've been having more and more trouble with hoarseness and losing my voice if I talk for as little as 5 minutes. I had this before the machine but it's much worse now, even with humidity cranked as high as the machine goes. This morning I noticed my throat was closing on exhale and I'm coughing more.

 

I was put on omeprazole in case it was reflux but my GI doc wanted me on it for two years b/c endoscopy showed focal Barrett's. Unfortunately, it gave me diarrhea - I have microscopic colitis which complicates things - after being on it for 4 weeks.

 

My new sleep doc wonders if it's vocal cord disorder. It sure feels like it. I'm thinking this needs to be pursued although I don't know what can be done to help it. Time will tell.

I've been to three specialist, and none seemed to concerned with the quality of my voice and it taking such force to speak.  I am having two nasal surgeries soon, and they will rediagnose after that.  They have my machine cranked up to 15, as I have permanent blockage in the sinus...  The moisture is at max, but no help with vocal.

 

Try cutting the dosage dwon on the reflux RX, and do not wait as long to eat......not an MD, but it worked for me.  As far as that goes, and with all my health problems, I've been through and tried about EVERYTHING.

 

In better shape at 55 than I was at 30.  ;-)

Marcia Herman said:

I've been having more and more trouble with hoarseness and losing my voice if I talk for as little as 5 minutes. I had this before the machine but it's much worse now, even with humidity cranked as high as the machine goes. This morning I noticed my throat was closing on exhale and I'm coughing more.

 

I was put on omeprazole in case it was reflux but my GI doc wanted me on it for two years b/c endoscopy showed focal Barrett's. Unfortunately, it gave me diarrhea - I have microscopic colitis which complicates things - after being on it for 4 weeks.

 

My new sleep doc wonders if it's vocal cord disorder. It sure feels like it. I'm thinking this needs to be pursued although I don't know what can be done to help it. Time will tell.

Stephen, thanks for your response.  I had to get off the OTC omerprazole b/c even the most heavy-duty gut steroid (Entocort) wouldn't keep the omeprazole-caused diarrhea under control. (It does when I'm not on omeprazole.)  Every PPI I ever tried gave me severe D and stomach problems after a month or two. It seems to turn too much acid off for me instead of just controlling it.

I sure wish we could get the UK version of Gaviscon. It's much better than the US version, which has a different formulation. The alginate in it forms a "shield" in the stomach to prevent acid from getting past the layer of alginate. That sounds like a great option for those who can't tolerate short or long term effects of PPIs.

Your post (not that you'll read this, and since you won't forget it).

Sleep Apnea Conultant said:

If anyone is on this forum and about to get a sleep study at a laboratory, WAIT!!  Contact Alltrans Medical Solutions in Katy, TX.  We do the complete turn-key process in 4-6 days with our free screening, HOME sleep test, PAP delivery and compliance monitoring, and we can service throughout the whole country.  Please contact myself directly, my name is Ben, at 281-402-9019 or email me at ben@alltransmedical.com, or check out our website at www.alltransmedical.com

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service