Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

How high does the CPAP machine need to be?  I keep mine on a box about five inches high on the floor, below my bed.  It would be more convenient to keep it on my bedside table which is the same height as my bed.  I have no trouble with rainout or water in the mask.  The tubing would make a loop downward (like a drip loop for an aquarium).

Thanks,

Mary Z.

Views: 8079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have Central/Complex sleep apnea, so I use a BiPAP auto SV,machine which is constantly adjusting the pressure. Therefore I keep mine a few inches below my bed, so I can easily read the pressure and ramp it down when needed. My table has wheels, making it is easy to pull it closer so that I can read the pressure, check on the humidifier & other settings, or find out why an alarm sounded. I think my machine has more bells & whistles than most BiPap machines.
Maxine D
I've been on CPAP for Approximately 8 Years now and I find This Information to be PRICELESS... Thank You.
Manufacturers recommend maintaining CPAP at or below bed level because back in the old days when flow generators first became small enough to be placed on furniture, a number of users placed them on waterbed headboard shelves & during sleep pulled then over on to their heads.

As long as your current CPAP placement isn't causing condensation problems, carry on. I like mine on my nightstand so I don't use up so much hose coming up from the floor.
I used to get water condensing in the hose when my machine was level or slightly higher than my head - to get rid of the "bubbling" I'd have to raise the hose up to tip the water back in to the reservoir. Quite often I'd get "rain" on my face when that hapened. With the new Resmed S8, it's happened far less frequently. It may help that I often have the hose loop up then down to my head from behind me, it certainly seems to prevent becoming entangled in the hose. A couple of times when it's been at the side, I've woken up with the hose partially looped around my neck where I've turned over in the night.
I know about the hose wrapped around your neck. Been there, done that quite often. That happens to me very often. I still haven't figured out yet if it is better to sleep with my bi pap on the night stand next to me or on the floor beside the better. I think it may be safer on the floor since I am always pulling it off the table when I turn over in bed.
It seems a lot of people are dragging theri machines off the night stand - I have a 6' hose, hasn't happened yet!
Hi Sandra - just found this site and thank God for it. I' have a CPAP & am using nasal mask also - sounds like the fit of the mask may not be correct. Also - there is a delicate balance between room temp & level of humidity to use. Don't give up!! Are you sure you have the correct nasal size fitting is on the mask? I have found, only once so far, I accidently had the wrong size on the mask, as well as upside down :) Had I not kept the lines of commo open w/my tech gal(s), has helped me immensely. I'd still be wearing the thing upside down for one! I just got my mask in June and am wearing it comfortably now for about 3-4 months.

Karen M Laass said:
Sandra Bozard said:
I have tried everything and nothing is working for me. Today I woke up with a mask full of water, It is very frustrating and there are days I just want to quit. I have checked for leaking and having no leaks. I am using the nasal mask. it seems like it is one thing after another. I figured out why my eyes were watering so much and fixed that. I have tried the machine high and low. 8(
Welcome back Rock. It is great to see you posting again. I hope things are going well for you.

Rock Conner RRT said:
Manufacturers recommend maintaining CPAP at or below bed level because back in the old days when flow generators first became small enough to be placed on furniture, a number of users placed them on waterbed headboard shelves & during sleep pulled then over on to their heads.

As long as your current CPAP placement isn't causing condensation problems, carry on. I like mine on my nightstand so I don't use up so much hose coming up from the floor.
I have to use an adjustable bed due to arthritis in my back. I place the CPAP on the desk next to my bed and just 3 or 4 inches below my head. The tube goes over a double coathook fastened to the wall at the top of the bed and about 6" above the mask. I never have rainout but I rarely turn on the humidifier. Keeping the reservoir level up adds ambient moisture without the excess that causes condensation. By having the hook at my head, I never roll on the tubing and never have it get in the way. The tubing goes from the mask up and away from my body, not across it.
I use a velcro strap to secure my hose to the bedpost at mattress level..that way if I pull on the hose it doesn't pull on the machine, only to the post.. Also keeps enough slack in the hose to make an s-curve to hold any condensation. down below me and the machine..
I have my machine on my night stand, it's about the same height as my mattress. The only time I ever got water in the hose was when I overfilled by mistake. If I keep the humidifier at halfway I don't get any condensation. :)
The best thing I have found to prevent Rainout is a hose cover.. I got mine off of E-Prey... My wife is a knitter/chrocheter and she made hers out of yarn... I have been to two local sleep groups and there is at both of them folks who make them for about 10-15 bucks out of fleecy material... The prices I have heard quoted from some DME suppliers is scary.. I do have to admit however that one of the expensive ones I saw had a zipper the full length ... Mine has an elastic cuff on each end and both of the ones I have seen at local groups has drawstrings... My machine is beside my bed on a blanket chest I had placed there to help my dog get up with after he got arthritis... I found a small rug someplace that has a short nap to it and also has a rubber underneath and that keeps the machine from slipping around..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service