Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Basic question about flying with CPAP: are the airlines allowed to count your CPAP machine as a carry-on item? I know you're supposed to be permitted to bring it on the flight, but my question is whether it counts toward an airline's number of carry-on items permitted. I was flying this week, and got into a bit of a confrontation with an airline rep about my CPAP. Also, if the airlines are supposed to exclude CPAPs from the count of carry-on items, but refuse to, is there a place to report them as being in violation of the law? Perhaps the FAA?

Views: 6952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love this story. Demonstrates beautifully how a little information/ knowledge can make your life a lot easier/ better.

Guy said:
Hi All,

I travel every week and log over 100,000 mile a year. Only once maybe two years ago I had a fight attended comment I had three bags, my porter luggage, computer bag/briefcase and my Cpap. I explianed this bag is my Cpap and under the american disabilities act this was not to be counted as luggage. I then told her I would put it under my seat. She backed right down.

I also travel internationally and was given an upgrade once (when I wasn't a preferred member) on a 16 hour flight so I could use my machine when sleeping on the flight. The only problem was I had no way of using the power plug something the gate agent wouldn't have known. So when traveling with a Cpap don't be afraid of using the American for Disabilities Act card I do.

Also most airports when going through the TSA Screening process want you to remove you Cpap from the case and put it right on the belt (so always have the cord neatly wrapped) announce to the screener "Cpap coming through!" this will give them time to get another screener so after it is X-rayed they will take the machine to another location to wipe down for residue( something I refer to as dusting and cleaning)

Good luck and good travel!
Royalty, they're REQUIRED by law to allow any kind of CPAP or PAP machine to be carried on--it does NOT count as a carry-on per Federal law. You might want to print the information off the internet in this regard and show it to the next person who hassles you about it. The regs are VERY CLEAR. Hassling you is illegal!

If I were in your shoes, next time I fly that particular airline, I'd speak with someone beforehand, explain what happened, and make sure they understand that they're breaking federal law.

You're right about having to have your machine broken down to go through security. They do have the right to put it through a scan and they WILL.

I'm gonna post a response to this very question on this Discussion today, as I'm about to return home from AZ--coming out was my first time flying with my apnea equipment.

Susan McCord :-)

royalty said:
sorry to tell you this but they are allowed to count it as a carry on item. i myself had the same situation a month ago for a trip to Vegas. not only do they count it you have to have the bag opened with the cpap broken down.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service