Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Basic question about flying with CPAP: are the airlines allowed to count your CPAP machine as a carry-on item? I know you're supposed to be permitted to bring it on the flight, but my question is whether it counts toward an airline's number of carry-on items permitted. I was flying this week, and got into a bit of a confrontation with an airline rep about my CPAP. Also, if the airlines are supposed to exclude CPAPs from the count of carry-on items, but refuse to, is there a place to report them as being in violation of the law? Perhaps the FAA?

Views: 6952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good tag, Tim. I'll post to the photos section so that people can more easily access/see in the future.

Tim said:
PDF of a medical equipment tag, suitable for printing and laminating

http://www.mindspring.com/~jimw203@mindspring.com/to%20post/PAP-Tag...
I recently traveled with my CPAP, all it requires is a little bit of extra screening in an x-ray machine and a check for hazardous gasses. That's it. I flew Airtran out of Charlotte and Las Vegas - no problem at either end bringing it on as carry-on. I think the medical equipment rule is for oxygen tanks and IV's. You don't need a special tag or anything.
I've flown with my CPAP. my supplier printed out a letter, which I copied for each flight and keep a copy in the bag, that says that it's delicate medical equipment. It might have caused, on occasion, me to figure out how to fit my purse into the backpack I always carry on (I always carry a small amount of toiletries and change of undergarments when I fly, as well as books, headphones and my small pharmacy of medications). It sometimes depends on which country I'm flying from/to. Also, my purse is rather large, so they might have been counting it as a bag, in which case things were good.
Although, the last time I flew was two years ago, pretty much right after I got my CPAP. Also, with the other disabilities that I have, it's difficult for me to speak up and verbally stand up for myself, so it might have been that I was letting them push me around...
Hey MIke,

I've been travelling for about 7 years with my CPAP, and always carry it of course, and have Never once had any problems with any security. They sometimes open it and look around, but don't always do that even. Been on many many flights, and many different airlines including a trip to Antigua about 4 yrs ago. never any problems....( knock on wood ).

Janice
Thanks! I'm flying to London out of Newark Liberty. Hope I don't have trouble...
Travel Rule #1 - ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH A COPY OF YOUR SCRIPT AND SLEEP STUDY. No matter where you travel, if something happen to your equipment or you, the information contained in the report is vital. If you travel with distilled water, get a script from your physician for the distilled water. I carry 2 watertight medical liquid bottles filled with distilled water (equal to 3 nights need) in my baggage, labeled with copies of the script. I have never had a problem. (The other reason for the water script is that makes the water tax deductible.)

Travel Rule #2 - NEVER CHECK YOUR CPAP EQUIPMENT, unless you enjoy not using it when you arrive at your destination. You stand a high percentage chance of it being damaged during handling.

Travel Rule #3 - Label your bag containing the CPAP equipment as a piece of MEDICAL EQUIPMENT. Do not try stuffing everything else into the bag as they do frown upon that practice.

PS - Don't forget to write down the model and serial number(s) of your machine and humidifier just in case some one might like your machine better than you do.
Mike, there's a law that states CPAP is considered "life support" and MUST be allowed to stay with the patient at all time, same as Oxygen. The airline CANNOT count it as a carry-on. I'm going to AZ 11/23--first time flying with CPAP. I have a "medical device" tag I found on the internet for $6.00. Also have a sort-of script from my sleep doc stating that I need CPAP. My DME also put a big green and white stick-on tag on top of the machine that clearly displays complete contact info for my DME office.

We had this conversation on SG while back--one of the recs which I wouldn't have thought of was to carry the machine in a plastic see-through bag. They usually will take it out of the bag to check it. But the bag gives you a chance to ask them to please change their gloves before they touch it or take it out of the plastic bag. They HAVE to comply, even if they're cranky. I know for sure I wouldn't want gloves touching my breathing equipment that had been touching a gazillion other people's stuff and who knows what else.

I plan to put my hose and masks in plastic bags as well. It's breathing equipment and I'm NOT gonna be breathing in some stranger's whatever!!

I'm gonna haul my equipment, in the travel bag made for it, in a small, wheeled suitcase that easily fits under the seat. I can't carry my CPAP as far as necessary in an airport (heart restriction), so if they get bitchy about the little roll-on, it's a cheap one and I'll just let them have it. I'm hoping they won't be fussy!!! I think I may wrap the CPAP bag in a thick towel or something so it won't be so vulnerable to bumps, etc.

This is my virgin flight with medical equipment--kinda nervous but I'm going anyway. Millions of people do the same thing every day, so.......

If anyone on SG reads this and thinks I need to change what I'm gonna do, I'd appreciate a shout-out.

Susan McCord

Mike said:
very helpful, thanks Gabe. Wish I had that tag to show the jerk who was giving me a hard time at JFK.

Gabe Miranda said:
I found a link for a medical tag:

CPAP tag

hope this helps.
twe more point when a resivation is made to tell them you will be carrying a cpap and is there an electric point near your seat and what voltage is the electral point
When I travel I keep my mask and electrical bits in separate bags to keep them easy to manage and less likely to get damaged. I am not concerned about the TSA agent wearing new or used gloves and I don't put my machine in a plastic bag -- I just want to go through TSA as fast as possible. I would be concerned about cleanliness if they were handling my mask or if the agent had peanut butter and jelly on his hands.
Just goes to show, Tim, that you're a warrior and I'm a wienie!!!

McCord :-p

Tim said:
When I travel I keep my mask and electrical bits in separate bags to keep them easy to manage and less likely to get damaged. I am not concerned about the TSA agent wearing new or used gloves and I don't put my machine in a plastic bag -- I just want to go through TSA as fast as possible. I would be concerned about cleanliness if they were handling my mask or if the agent had peanut butter and jelly on his hands.
Hi All,

I travel every week and log over 100,000 mile a year. Only once maybe two years ago I had a fight attended comment I had three bags, my porter luggage, computer bag/briefcase and my Cpap. I explianed this bag is my Cpap and under the american disabilities act this was not to be counted as luggage. I then told her I would put it under my seat. She backed right down.

I also travel internationally and was given an upgrade once (when I wasn't a preferred member) on a 16 hour flight so I could use my machine when sleeping on the flight. The only problem was I had no way of using the power plug something the gate agent wouldn't have known. So when traveling with a Cpap don't be afraid of using the American for Disabilities Act card I do.

Also most airports when going through the TSA Screening process want you to remove you Cpap from the case and put it right on the belt (so always have the cord neatly wrapped) announce to the screener "Cpap coming through!" this will give them time to get another screener so after it is X-rayed they will take the machine to another location to wipe down for residue( something I refer to as dusting and cleaning)

Good luck and good travel!
The best way to avoid trouble is to discuss your needs with the airline beforehand and to bring a doctor’s note explaining you are a patient in need of this device. If you fly overnight and need the machine to work, check with the airline that the plane, and your seat, is equipped with a power socket. Also find out what type it is as you may need an adapter. If no power source is available, look into a portable battery pack to power your machine.

If you check in your CPAP machine and mask, make sure it’s packaged very well. You won’t be the first one to find machine or mask broken in transit. Sourcing a replacement in a foreign country can be a nightmare and will cause a bad start to your holiday or business trip. Pack the mask in a solid box, like a hard plastic lunch box and bring some spares of those parts most prone to wear and tear. Some fuses for the machine can be handy too. Preparation is key. Also have the telephone number of your equipment provider and manufacturer handy for prompt assistance. Looking up contact details of a local supplier at your destination can be a savior too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service