Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Basic question about flying with CPAP: are the airlines allowed to count your CPAP machine as a carry-on item? I know you're supposed to be permitted to bring it on the flight, but my question is whether it counts toward an airline's number of carry-on items permitted. I was flying this week, and got into a bit of a confrontation with an airline rep about my CPAP. Also, if the airlines are supposed to exclude CPAPs from the count of carry-on items, but refuse to, is there a place to report them as being in violation of the law? Perhaps the FAA?

Views: 6952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found a link for a medical tag:

CPAP tag

hope this helps.
very helpful, thanks Gabe. Wish I had that tag to show the jerk who was giving me a hard time at JFK.

Gabe Miranda said:
I found a link for a medical tag:

CPAP tag

hope this helps.
I fly out of Dulles International regularly. The level of security here seams to be higher than any of the other airports I pass through. TSA always pulls my CPAP from the bag and physically checks it sometimes plugging it in to test the unit. I have never had a problem. No airline has ever questioned it as a carry on. In talking with other CPAP users I have picked up several tips. Always travel with a copy of your script if there is ever a question. I have a copy of my sleep study stored on my laptop, just in case something would happen. If something were to happen while traveling, remember that you need the script to purchase a replacement mask or some parts, or heaven forbid, and emergency arise. I carry a medical alert card in my wallet indicating I am a CPAP user and my physicians name and machine settings/mask type. Never, and I mean NEVER, check the bag containing your CPAP equipment unless you enjoy puzzles and glue. In so far as a tag for your bag, these places are scamming you. A simple solution, if you desire a tag of this type, is to make your own using their words. You can type one out using your pc and print it about the size of a business card, then have the card laminated at a business supply store for a buck or two. A whole lot cheaper than the $12.00 - $15.00 these places want. I have my business card laminated with mine. Works great as a luggage tag also.
Thanks for this post MIke. I just recently had a pt ask me about this. I did not have an answer for him so I sent him here(as I do all of my pts). This is great info!
Yeah, i have only had that one problem at JFK, but then again, I think everyone has problems at JFK because JFK is JFK. At all the airports I've flown in and out of back home in CA, I've had absolutely no problem at all. I might get initial hassle, but as soon as I say, "no, this is a cpap medical device," it's like magic words that work like a charm. It is helpful to have all this ammo just in case it's needed -- i.e., to know that you stand on firm legal ground in refusing to have your cpap counted as a carry-on

DDNight said:
Dan Lyons said:
In so far as a tag for your bag, these places are scamming you. A simple solution, if you desire a tag of this type, is to make your own using their words. You can type one out using your pc and print it about the size of a business card, then have the card laminated at a business supply store for a buck or two. A whole lot cheaper than the $12.00 - $15.00 these places want.

Just flew out of Indianapolis and Providence this past week with no problems. I was going to get a CPAP tag for the device, but I agree with Dan in the above post...."these places are scamming you".

All you have to do is have a copy of the prescription and notify the TSA agent that it is a medical device (if they didn't realize it themselves)....they will do an 'extra' step in getting it through security.....which entails swiping it for residue.

I will be making my own medical CPAP tag for future use though...you never know what kind of TSA agent you are going to come across.
Mike do you have a letter from your doctor stating it is medical equipment you can carry-on and per FAA law it does not count towards your 2 bag carry-on limit? I got note from my doc and it stays permanently in my CPAP bag. I haven't had to ull it out and use it yet, but it is there for the time I will be told that I have to check my third bag. I did get scolded once for having three bags, I told them it was a CPAP, a medical device, and they gave me no more hassle. i didn't even have to pull out the note. I suggest you get a note from your doctor to carry with you at all times when flying.

My CPAP is routinely swiped at the security check points..I assume for explosives. It has always passed the test. I have ended up in a few conversations with security concerning what is in my bag. I always have to have it open and ready for inspection. I did once have a long conversation with a TSA employee about his need for a sleep study, and I think I convinced him to go. I hope he did.

Good luck with your future flights.
Hi Dawn, I don't carry around the documentation yet, but will from now on. I have had the same experience with the test for the explosives. They ALWAYS run that, and I'm always instructed before I put it on the conveyor belt to remove it, like a laptop, and put it in one of the bins.

Dawn said:
Mike do you have a letter from your doctor stating it is medical equipment you can carry-on and per FAA law it does not count towards your 2 bag carry-on limit? I got note from my doc and it stays permanently in my CPAP bag. I haven't had to ull it out and use it yet, but it is there for the time I will be told that I have to check my third bag. I did get scolded once for having three bags, I told them it was a CPAP, a medical device, and they gave me no more hassle. i didn't even have to pull out the note. I suggest you get a note from your doctor to carry with you at all times when flying.

My CPAP is routinely swiped at the security check points..I assume for explosives. It has always passed the test. I have ended up in a few conversations with security concerning what is in my bag. I always have to have it open and ready for inspection. I did once have a long conversation with a TSA employee about his need for a sleep study, and I think I convinced him to go. I hope he did.

Good luck with your future flights.
It is not necessary to attach a special tag to your CPAP bag. A MEDICAL DEVICE tag could help if your CPAP bag does not have the manufacturer's name on the outside; i.e., it doesn't look like a CPAP bag. A MEDICAL DEVICE tag can be made by stores that make luggage tags and they can be purchased from some on-line CPAP suppliers.

If you carry any items in your CPAP bag that are not medical devices, the bag may no longer be considered to be a medical device. E.g., putting your CPAP in a carry-on bag with other stuff does not mean that the bag will be considered to be a medical device; also putting a non-medical device, such as a laptop or clothing, in a CPAP bag may cause the bag to no longer be considered to be a medical device.

I have been flying with a CPAP machine for about 14 years and I have never needed my prescription or any sort of letter, and I have never had any MEDICAL DEVICE tags on my bag. I carry a copy of my prescription, but that is only if there is an emergency and I need to buy or rent a CPAP. Two online CPAP suppliers have my prescription on file so that I can order a new CPAP and have it shipped overnight if necessary.
Agreed that in the vast majority of cases, a tag is not necessary. It's just the oddball case when you have a difficult, uneducated inspector working security -- but even then I'd just insist on speaking to his/her supervisor and trying to bring them to their senses about it.

Tim said:
It is not necessary to attach a special tag to your CPAP bag. A MEDICAL DEVICE tag could help if your CPAP bag does not have the manufacturer's name on the outside; i.e., it doesn't look like a CPAP bag. A MEDICAL DEVICE tag can be made by stores that make luggage tags and they can be purchased from some on-line CPAP suppliers.

If you carry any items in your CPAP bag that are not medical devices, the bag may no longer be considered to be a medical device. E.g., putting your CPAP in a carry-on bag with other stuff does not mean that the bag will be considered to be a medical device; also putting a non-medical device, such as a laptop or clothing, in a CPAP bag may cause the bag to no longer be considered to be a medical device.

I have been flying with a CPAP machine for about 14 years and I have never needed my prescription or any sort of letter, and I have never had any MEDICAL DEVICE tags on my bag. I carry a copy of my prescription, but that is only if there is an emergency and I need to buy or rent a CPAP. Two online CPAP suppliers have my prescription on file so that I can order a new CPAP and have it shipped overnight if necessary.
I carry my CPAP in a Respironics M series bag, which is readily identifiable by TSA and clued airline gate agents as being a CPAP bag.

TSA security doesn't care at all about any sort of medical tags on bags, they only care about what is in the bag, and TSA inspectors are quite familiar with CPAPs. The only people who care about it being a medical device are the airline gate agents and certain other passengers when they see you carrying three bags :). Airline gate agents are trained about medical devices, including CPAPs, although some gate agents are not as bright as others. I don't care about what the other passengers think.

My first CPAP actually had a notice molded into the case that said it was a medical device, the newer machines don't have such a notice.
I travel extensively and carry my cpap with me onboard. It is not considered counted toward your carry on as it is a medical device. Though most people assume it belongs to my husband they are a little surprised when they ask who it belongs too - I have to laugh.

Hope this helps
PDF of a medical equipment tag, suitable for printing and laminating

http://www.mindspring.com/~jimw203@mindspring.com/to%20post/PAP-Tag...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service