Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

I just recently went on vacation with 18 other people.  Four of us are diagnosed with Sleep

Apnea.  I decided to try and talk to everyone about their machines and compliance.  Three of us use our machines regularly and one has put it in the closet.  No one else knew anything about the settings on the machine or had any interest in seeing/tracking their own data. Everyone, except the woman who is not using hers brought their machine on vacation.  I did not get to talk to the woman not using hers any more about why.  Her roommate told me she was not using it, but before I could ask her why, she got a message that her 57 year old brother had died in his sleep and she went home.  I don't know why her brother died, or if he had OSA.

Views: 1509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is very sad. If he did have OSA, maybe it will be a wake up call for her to use her machine. Like Mike, I would panic if I didn't take my machine. At the very least, I would prop myself up.
My CPAP has visited eleven countries and several states. The only time I failed to use it was when our bags were detained for two days. Otherwise, I use it every night, no matter where, for five years. It actually brings comfort and rest to a new bed. I need it, so I use it. My machine, a Resmed is wired to use on 115 volts or 230 volts, which makes it easy to travel with.
I never ever go anywhere without my Bi-pap. I am probably 99.5% complaint at all times...the .5% I threw in there for falling asleep in the car on long trips. I'm so anal about it that if we are getting an ice storm in the winter I will not go to sleep until I am sure we have no threat of the power going out. I have run into some bad smells in hotels, but to combat that I put a small bottle of lavender essential oil in my bag so if I run into that problem I can just open the bottle and set it near the back of the machine so I don't have to struggle with room odors. This summer on vacation we stayed at a higher end hotel chain on our way home...of course there was no odor in the room. But once I turned on my machine oh my there was that dirty sock smell. I commented to the front desk when we checked out. She brought out their carpet deodorizer to see if maybe that was what I was smelling...NOPE that actually smelled good. I spent a little time educating her on how the Bi-Paps work pulling room air. At first I thought maybe I was just a bit oversensitive, but have since decided I am not. I also have a separate hose to use when we travel. That way if we do run into a problem like that I don't have to smell it at home. :)
Vacation???? Now that is when I most want to be alert and energetic!

If I am going to skip CPAP, let it be when I am working - I can sleep at my desk the next day and moan and gripe to my coworkers. :):):)
I reached for my machine on the baggage carousel on a recent vacation and a lady says, "Excuse me. I think that's mine!" Sure enough, exact same carrying bag, only hers had a little red ribbon that I didn't notice. I told the story to an airline baggage handler, and he told me that he "sees hundreds of those things." Lots of people travel with them.

I always travel with mine. I use it at home every night. If I take a nap, I'll usually do it with the mask on.

I'm interested in what people do for power backup. Either during an outage, or on something like a camping trip. TorontoCPAPguy mentioned using a UPS. I can take the one that's protecting my computer and use it for my APAP? How long will the battery backup typically last? Now that I think of it, there's probably a thread about this very topic elsewhere on the site. I'm gonna go hunt for it.
Now that I know I have OSA I cant sleep without being aware of waking up short of breath. Good times.

I took mine to Chile (the hosts had adaptors) and I bought every possible adaptor when I took it to Benin (West Africa) to a small town where the fanciest hotel had electricity most of the time.

I'd get a battery to go camping. Already looked into it.

I also keep spare parts - the other night fighting dogs whacked the elbow that attaches to the mask and I had a spare -bc that part is always failing.

I have narcolepsy on top of OSA so I am not inclined to risk getting behind in sleep.
As a distributer my job is to guide clients with their cpap. As I live on a small island, my clients travel quite a lot. Whether they go for a business trip or for holidays, I always emphasize to take the machine with them. The simple fact is that once they stop sleeping with the machine, the apneas will come back and the quality of sleep gets worse so they wake up tired. Don't they want to wake up refreshed so they have enough energy during the day to do nice things? Don't they want to be focused on their business trip?
So my advice is: Take the machine always with you.
(What are the options for going camping without an electrical outlet near your bed with a CPAP?)
Google CPAP supplies battery. For a few hundred you can get a battery that claims to last 3-4 nights.
alway take the cpap with me
that reminds me of a song to
"alway take the weather with you"
I told the story to an airline baggage handler, and he told me that he "sees hundreds of those things." Lots of people travel with them.

Yeah it's cool cause it gives you an extra carryon it you want to go through the trouble.

When I dont carry on I do pack it in the suitcase - they are charging per bag usually but I dont know if CPAP counts.
I brought along a marine battery to power it. I plan on bringing it on all vacations in the future.

Oh great idea!
A pulse oximeter (Contec CMS50E for example) is about $120 and can save your life in the long run.

I've thought about the sat monitor bc some days I am still knocked out& would like to track SaO2 for those nights - I presume yours is recording or does it ring an alarm?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service