Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Why is it that when an CPAPer shows someone what his/her mask and flow generator looks like, a common reaction (and socially acceptable one) is to say how ugly the whole get-up looks? But when a diabetic shows someone his/her insulin syringe kit, there is no way the reaction would be "ew, you have to, like, carry that around with you? How hideous!"

I got this reaction the other day when a former colleague asked to see what CPAP looks like, and I showed him.

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jnk speak for yourself! I look great when I am sleeping. It is the rest of the time that I have trouble with.

j n k said:
I hear you, bayoulady, and I think what you say is how most normal think about it. I'm just not normal, I guess.

I know I'm weird, but I can't for the life of me grasp the whole 'I'm worried what I look like when I'm asleep' thing. I mean, very few people look good while asleep, right?. Which is OK, since, technically, the person isn't even 'present' but away in dreamland, as far as that goes.

When people sleep, their hair is messed up if it isn't in rollers or hidden beneath a scarf. People make funny noises, drool, belch, pass gas, thrash about with their arms in funny positions. They wear eye-shades and ear plugs and old T-shirts with holes in them. So why should we as CPAP users get our pj's in a twist (those of us who wear pj's, that is) about how we look when we are asleep? We make fewer funny noises and sleep more peacefully than the average person, with our machine.

And speaking of machines, a lot of people use machines to improve their sleep, not just CPAP users. They buy noise machines to drown out noisy neighbors, they turn on a ceiling fan or air conditioner in the bedroom, they use ionizers and humidifiers, and they rely on an alarm clock to wake them up. Maybe our machine is a little more intimate than those, but it is just one machine among many that people use for sleep, as I see it.

I am proud of mine. I like to show it off. It impresses people. I can tell. :-)

I don't have to see myself when I'm asleep. And the only person who does see me sleep loves me and expects me not to make fun of how she looks when she is asleep, so she does me the same favor. Sharing a bed is an act of intimacy where those kinds or rules are understood, or should be.
Yeah, Hinkle, just look at you with your little pink pillow. You ARE adorable when you sleep!! :-)

Rock Hinkle said:
Jnk speak for yourself! I look great when I am sleeping. It is the rest of the time that I have trouble with.

j n k said:
I hear you, bayoulady, and I think what you say is how most normal think about it. I'm just not normal, I guess.

I know I'm weird, but I can't for the life of me grasp the whole 'I'm worried what I look like when I'm asleep' thing. I mean, very few people look good while asleep, right?. Which is OK, since, technically, the person isn't even 'present' but away in dreamland, as far as that goes.

When people sleep, their hair is messed up if it isn't in rollers or hidden beneath a scarf. People make funny noises, drool, belch, pass gas, thrash about with their arms in funny positions. They wear eye-shades and ear plugs and old T-shirts with holes in them. So why should we as CPAP users get our pj's in a twist (those of us who wear pj's, that is) about how we look when we are asleep? We make fewer funny noises and sleep more peacefully than the average person, with our machine.

And speaking of machines, a lot of people use machines to improve their sleep, not just CPAP users. They buy noise machines to drown out noisy neighbors, they turn on a ceiling fan or air conditioner in the bedroom, they use ionizers and humidifiers, and they rely on an alarm clock to wake them up. Maybe our machine is a little more intimate than those, but it is just one machine among many that people use for sleep, as I see it.

I don't have to see myself when I'm asleep. And the only person who does see me sleep loves me and expects me not to make fun of how she looks when she is asleep, so she does me the same favor. Sharing a bed is an act of intimacy where those kinds or rules are understood, or should be.
Jeff--Spoken by a mature, highly-evolved man! Are there any more of you out there?? lol

Susan :-)

j n k said:
@ Susan: Well said. Thanks. I didn't mean to be insensitive about it. Being concerned about what other people think is healthy as long as it doesn't detract from our self-respect. I respect a woman who takes care of herself in her sleep, and to me the machine is only about sleep and intimacy happens when people are awake.

@ Rock: I have given up on looking great--asleep or awake. At this point I'm just happy to stay alive! :-)
j n k said:

Actually, a CPAP machine is probably the most attractive thing a heavy snorer can wear for his/her mate. In the years before my apnea was treated, I couldn't sustain a serious relationship. Talk about a lack of vanity! There is nothing worse than keeping your partner awake while you snore yourself to oblivon. Now, compare that to the way you appear while you enjoy restflul, blissful sleep, mask strapped onto your face as your machine emits a quiet hum. That said, a king sized bed is definitely in order.

With regards to the questions of other medical conditions, those aren't treated in the most intimate of all spots: One's bed!
I was featured on the front page of our local paper. The whole article was more about the history of my business, but when the reporter asked if she could use the photo of me in my mask, I said "Please do"
I am a proud hose head and I want others to begin to accept that they are sleeping better because of their CPAP.

The whole article can be seen at this link.
http://www2.greene-news.com/gcn/lifestyles/health_med_fit/article/m...

I think the word will get out if we all talk about it more with friends and family and co-workers.

Karen
"Ugly"? Seriously? I'm not sure I could restrain myself from laughing at anyone who looks at a CPAP mask and judges it by anything but its function and its comfort.

Mike, it seems to me that your former colleague needs education in healthcare, manners, or probably both.
Great article! Congrats! I think the mask makes you look sexy. A desire to live is such a turn on.
I've been using CPAP now since July '09 and can't say enough about how it has improved my sleep and wakeful hours too.

However I have to say there was a significant amount of anxiety for both myself and my wife of 29 years in the weeks leading up to beginning to use it.
o Was it going to affect pillow talk etc.
o Was the machine going to be too noisy?
o Was the exhaust port going to bother her?
o She resented the intrusion of a machine into our lives. Truth be told, so did I.

Of course all of these concerns quickly melted away after the initial adjustment period. Now she jokes and tells me to "put your mask on Darth". She become spoiled and can't stand it if I accidentally fall off and begin to snore. She laughs like crazy when I "whisper sweet nothings" with it on; nasal masks are like that.

In short, everything we feared about the mask was a natural reaction. It isn't until you live with one and experience the benefits that you can begin to appreciate it. Even find humor in it.

-Dennis-
I have never had that reaction from anyone. Maybe my enthusiasm about how much this machine has helped me makes them more receptive. In fact, whenever anyone asks to see the C-PAP, it usually sparks many questions about how it works, adaptability, etc.
Thanks, guys! My faith has been restored. There ARE some more mature, secure men out there!!!!

BTW, this issue (for me) has nothing to do with self esteem. I love my CPAP!, and would choose it over some guy ANY day!!!
Who you calling mature and secure woman?

susan mccord said:
Thanks, guys! My faith has been restored. There ARE some more mature, secure men out there!!!!

BTW, this issue (for me) has nothing to do with self esteem. I love my CPAP!, and would choose it over some guy ANY day!!!
I think it's because the mask and tubing look so hospital like, and of course fits over your head and face. I must admit, I'm a little self conscience about it myself. Let's face it -- when you put it on, and lay in bed, and your partner sees you, she's (or he's) definately not gonna think -- Now that's a turn on....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service