Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Why is it that when an CPAPer shows someone what his/her mask and flow generator looks like, a common reaction (and socially acceptable one) is to say how ugly the whole get-up looks? But when a diabetic shows someone his/her insulin syringe kit, there is no way the reaction would be "ew, you have to, like, carry that around with you? How hideous!"

I got this reaction the other day when a former colleague asked to see what CPAP looks like, and I showed him.

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think it is a time thing as it is not as common diabeaties

diabeaties is shown on tv and is now accepted more in periodical
where as apnea is only done so occasionally
good point. maybe with time things will change.

99 said:
i think it is a time thing as it is not as common diabeaties

diabeaties is shown on tv and is now accepted more in periodical
where as apnea is only done so occasionally
They are gonna have to.
Who gives a rat's rear?? Its my health and my sleep!

And maybe I think their cologne stinks! And their living room is a hideous color.
I am like 99. Diabetes has been around for years and more people "understand" the reasons for blood testing, etc. Diabetes supplies are advertised on TV. Testing supplies can be carried discreetly for the most part.

Sleep apnea is little understood by the general public. Awareness is just getting out there. You have to admit that the equipment is bulky and cumbersome for the most part.

With advancement in technology, the equipment will become less bulky and cumbersome. The more people understand it and more are diagnosed acceptance will come.
Last night watched an episode of law and order, when they suspected this guy of a serioius crime the first thing they puled out of his night stand was his fullface CPAP mask.
I thought how nice a subliminal message CPAP users are serial killers.
Yep, D.W. the message is getting out there though the media by subtle or not so subtle messages seen on television.

The media is powerful and a great way to raise awareness. Let's hope that it continues in a positive manner.

Maybe Resmed, Respironics, and others can start paying endorsements to get their machines, masks, etc. embedded into the shows. I know some coporations pay to have their products placed strategically in shows and movies as subtle ads.
for that to occur cpap need to be deregulated, somehow i do not think that is going to happen, because they are the ones putting the tick in boxes when they release a new product as it is more lucritive for them.

sleepycarol said:
Yep, D.W. the message is getting out there though the media by subtle or not so subtle messages seen on television.

The media is powerful and a great way to raise awareness. Let's hope that it continues in a positive manner.

Maybe Resmed, Respironics, and others can start paying endorsements to get their machines, masks, etc. embedded into the shows. I know some coporations pay to have their products placed strategically in shows and movies as subtle ads.
My first encounter with a CPAP was when one of my Hemodialysis patients brought his to the unit to use while he napped during his treatment. I thought he must be incredibly dedicated and compliant to bring his machine in and use it during every treatment. I had nothing but admiration for him. (Now talk about intimidating- a Hemodialysis machine, or worse- a ventilator!)

Mary Z.
Kick it, Judy. I agree. FEITCTAJ!!!! lol

McCord

Judy said:
Who gives a rat's rear?? Its my health and my sleep!

And maybe I think their cologne stinks! And their living room is a hideous color.
I understand what you're saying, Jeff, and I agree. BUT I also know exactly where Jackie's coming from. Being single and older and, yes, still interested, it takes on a whole new meaning. There's a huge difference in an established relationship from a potential or new relationship.....there's an unknown vulnerability factor with latter.....the issue for some of us single folks isn't about how we look when we're asleep!

McCord

j n k said:
I hear you, bayoulady, and I think what you say is how most normal think about it. I'm just not normal, I guess.

I know I'm weird, but I can't for the life of me grasp the whole 'I'm worried what I look like when I'm asleep' thing. I mean, very few people look good while asleep, right?. Which is OK, since, technically, the person isn't even 'present' but away in dreamland, as far as that goes.

When people sleep, their hair is messed up if it isn't in rollers or hidden beneath a scarf. People make funny noises, drool, belch, pass gas, thrash about with their arms in funny positions. They wear eye-shades and ear plugs and old T-shirts with holes in them. So why should we as CPAP users get our pj's in a twist (those of us who wear pj's, that is) about how we look when we are asleep? We make fewer funny noises and sleep more peacefully than the average person, with our machine.

And speaking of machines, a lot of people use machines to improve their sleep, not just CPAP users. They buy noise machines to drown out noisy neighbors, they turn on a ceiling fan or air conditioner in the bedroom, they use ionizers and humidifiers, and they rely on an alarm clock to wake them up. Maybe our machine is a little more intimate than those, but it is just one machine among many that people use for sleep, as I see it.

I am proud of mine. I like to show it off. It impresses people. I can tell. :-)

I don't have to see myself when I'm asleep. And the only person who does see me sleep loves me and expects me not to make fun of how she looks when she is asleep, so she does me the same favor. Sharing a bed is an act of intimacy where those kinds or rules are understood, or should be.
WOW!, now THAT's a step in the right direction!!

(The serial killer connection is a bit of a reach, Conn!!!!) lol

D. W. Conn said:
Last night watched an episode of law and order, when they suspected this guy of a serioius crime the first thing they puled out of his night stand was his fullface CPAP mask.
I thought how nice a subliminal message CPAP users are serial killers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service