Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Why is it that when an CPAPer shows someone what his/her mask and flow generator looks like, a common reaction (and socially acceptable one) is to say how ugly the whole get-up looks? But when a diabetic shows someone his/her insulin syringe kit, there is no way the reaction would be "ew, you have to, like, carry that around with you? How hideous!"

I got this reaction the other day when a former colleague asked to see what CPAP looks like, and I showed him.

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I got my CPAP after being married for almost 30 years, so I was not out to impress anyone nor did my hubby turn up his nose at the thought of me wearing the system. We know it's a needed piece of medical equipment and that's all there is to it. We actually joke around about the vanity part of it and actually if you do it right, it can enhance your sexual intimacy! Now how's that for a twist on things?
Not YOU, Hinkle!!! LMAO...!!

I just read your reply to this thread!

McCord :-)

Rock Hinkle said:
Who you calling mature and secure woman?

susan mccord said:
Thanks, guys! My faith has been restored. There ARE some more mature, secure men out there!!!!

BTW, this issue (for me) has nothing to do with self esteem. I love my CPAP!, and would choose it over some guy ANY day!!!
Bee, you make me :-).........

Susan McCord

BeeAsleep said:
I have to admit that in the beginning it was very embarrassing for me to wear my mask in front of my husband. He thought I was being kinda weird about that since we have been married for so long and seen each other in every which way. I think it was an idea I had about masks that I got from television. I only saw a mask on someone when they were dying in the hospital or were really old and infirm. I had no exposure at all to the CPAP experience, so no frame of reference at all. So it was me who had all the weird ideas that I needed to get over. I am being honest about this, I didn't put on my mask and dance all over the house relishing the idea that I was so fortunate as to be able to wear a plastic mask to bed each night. It was a struggle, it was hard, it was uncomfortable....but I wanted to live. So I learned to deal with it. It isn't the first thing I tell people I meet, in fact it does not come up in the conversation. It is something I use to stay alive and well. It is not who I am.
Now my husband has had a sleep study and uses a CPAP himself, he is very comfortable with his mask...and together we have purring machines side by side on the bed stand....and we are living happily ever after. :>D
Gloria, I have some personal information/experience re: your "twist" as well!! You're right!! lol

McCord :-)

Gloria J Ketter said:
Well I got my CPAP after being married for almost 30 years, so I was not out to impress anyone nor did my hubby turn up his nose at the thought of me wearing the system. We know it's a needed piece of medical equipment and that's all there is to it. We actually joke around about the vanity part of it and actually if you do it right, it can enhance your sexual intimacy! Now how's that for a twist on things?
I have had different experiences from people who are not familiar with CPAP. I have never had anybody say anything negative; some people are totally indifferent, many people know somebody else who also uses CPAP, and many people have been curious about how it works and what it does. There are also people who know somebody who uses CPAP and also ask questions about it.

Many people are surprised that it only involves simple room air under a very small pressure, they expected something more complicated.
I don't know what made me start to read this thread, but I did from begining to end. A number of things crossed my mind. We are all pretty lucky that the masks don't cover the eyes. The BEAUTY of one's soul is thru thier eyes. Just take one look at the women earlier in the newspaper article. Forget the mask and look at those eyes. They are beautiful. Now when you look at that picture again you will not see the mask first, you will see the beauty of here soul first. Try it!

Secondly, CPAP is becoming sexy, Look at (I Ibelieve it is the S9) new ResMed machine. No longer a block. They added curves and chrome. I bet that hoses and masks will start coming in colors, sexy ones at that, You will start to see models (male and females) in the ads. The clinical approach will get a lot softer. Get ready, they are going to start selling better sex in the morning after a good nights sleep. We are on the brink of a CPAP revolution. I can hear it now "Stay Safe and Enjoy"
.
I"ve brought up the idea of a calender in the lines of "cpap is sexy" and have pt's actually pose (clothed and in good taste) in their beds with their cpap devices and the proceeds going to charity...So far, none of the major players of cpap have opted to sign on.
What a bunch of party poopers, Walt. That sounds like a great idea to me! The idea would probably turn Rock Hinkle on. He thinks sleep is sexy. *wicked grin*
I like the idea of a CPAP is sexy calendar. you've run it by ResMed and Respironics and they're not into it? maybe we can design our own CPAP is sexy calendar. Everyone start by uploading a photo of themselves to the Photos section of this site -- rules are like you said: "(clothed and in good taste) in their beds with their cpap devices" -- then we can all vote on which ones make the cut, and SleepGuide can fund the costs of printing? the key would be getting people to upload appropriate photos. think we should try it?

Walt Service said:
I"ve brought up the idea of a calender in the lines of "cpap is sexy" and have pt's actually pose (clothed and in good taste) in their beds with their cpap devices and the proceeds going to charity...So far, none of the major players of cpap have opted to sign on.
Sleep is sexy! I will do whatever I need to do to support a CPAP calender. I would hope that the charity was one that supports healthy sleep. I am not picky when it comes to charities though.
I must admit that I was aware of Sleep Apnea and thought the person aflicted just got a mask and that was it.

I never knew how hard it was to get a mask to fit a person or how the patient had no control over when he/she fell asleep. And I certainly didn't know one could die if they didn't use the mask, although I believe that in cases like mine, where my pressure is only 8, it would take a whole lot more to kill me.

More than that, I can't get over how blase' people are. They have no iiea how much this changes ones life.
Hi Randal, I dont know you but you are a man after my own heart.... I am putting out the S9's all day long... I tell the patients...'It's for after the afterglow!!!! You are right and I personally love love the calendar idea and would love to participate. Have a great day!!!!

Randal said:
I don't know what made me start to read this thread, but I did from begining to end. A number of things crossed my mind. We are all pretty lucky that the masks don't cover the eyes. The BEAUTY of one's soul is thru thier eyes. Just take one look at the women earlier in the newspaper article. Forget the mask and look at those eyes. They are beautiful. Now when you look at that picture again you will not see the mask first, you will see the beauty of here soul first. Try it!

Secondly, CPAP is becoming sexy, Look at (I Ibelieve it is the S9) new ResMed machine. No longer a block. They added curves and chrome. I bet that hoses and masks will start coming in colors, sexy ones at that, You will start to see models (male and females) in the ads. The clinical approach will get a lot softer. Get ready, they are going to start selling better sex in the morning after a good nights sleep. We are on the brink of a CPAP revolution. I can hear it now "Stay Safe and Enjoy"
.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service