Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Well here is the situation. If I dont use my PAP I will have no problem getting 8 hours of sleep every night but I will be sleepy all day because I have apnea. If I use the machine it will get me up early in the morning so I will only get about 6 hours of sleep at night so I am sleepy all day. So what do you do? It looks to me like I am up the creek either way.

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris you have to find a way to make it work. What is it that wakes you up?
Rock Hinkle said:
Chris you have to find a way to make it work. What is it that wakes you up?

I wish I new. I think its just having that mask on my face that is doing it. Might be leaks but there were times I got up at 6 and had no leaks. I did notice that since I started pap I always wake up on my back so something is up. Just got a nasal pillow. I am going to give that a try and see if it helps.
Have you tried putting something on your back to make you stay on your side? Some have used small backpacks, tennis balls sewn in a pocket on the back, etc.

You are still fairly new to using a machine and mask and if you toss in the towel now, the apnea will probably only get worse -- that is if you wake up in the morning.

I realize you are having problems and do sympathize with you as it is no fun being tired all the time!! Give the nasal pillow mask a go and let us know what trouble you are having so maybe we can find some solutions for you. Have you thought about trying a mild sleep aide to help you sleep? Maybe some Benadryl or other over the counter meds. Also, try wearing your mask when you aren't sleeping (or when you nap) so that you may adjust to wearing it all night.
Chris, I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you, just wanted to post to say what I think about when using my CPAP machine. I am very new to this therapy and am having good results on paper. The physical results are coming, but are taking a little time to catch up. I'm still tired during the day, but I like to say that instead of being tired and doing nothing all day, I'm tired and getting things done, and that's a significant improvement.

Here's the thing for me. When using the machine, I am reducing or eliminating my apneas, and therefore addressing the many health issues related to them. Tiredness may be my most obvious symptom, but what about all that strain on my heart? That was the thing I was most shocked about when I was diagnosed.

I'm not in your position, but if I was, I think I would choose "tired with CPAP" over "tired without". Using the machine, improvement is possible. The corollary isn't true.
Thanks everybody. Sleppy Carol. I have been using Ambien on a regular basis.
Ambien can be tricky and I don't have much experience with it. I had a doctor prescribe it to me when I had a nervous breakdown a few years ago. I took a couple of them while hospitalized as I was not sleeping -- period. I had been up for approximately 72 hours without sleep and was not eating. On the fourth day, I was told I didn't have a choice as I need to sleep if I was to get better.

Once I was released from the hospital, the doctor that took over my care cautioned me about the side effects of Ambien and he told me he didn't like to prescribe it and personally didn't recommend it.

With that being said, I didn't use any more of the Ambien (I was on regular Ambien and not the long lasting).

I had a coworker a couple of years ago that took the long lasting Ambien on a regular basis. She had five children with the oldest still in grade school. She talked about how she would get up in the night and cook herself something to eat -- without remembering it. She had also driven to her dad's and had no idea how she arrived safely as she wasn't awake when doing it. She often complained of being tired and feeling crummy and I wondered if all the night prowling she did had anything to do with it. Have you had any unexplained happenings at night?
How long?

Chris said:
Thanks everybody. Sleppy Carol. I have been using Ambien on a regular basis.
No unexplained happenings. No side affects. I have been using it every night for about the last 2 weeks hoping it would help me get a full 8 hours of sleep and its not working. Before PAP I would use it once or twice a week because the after work naps would keep me from getting to sleep at a reasonable time.
Okay -- thought it might be that you might be having some side effects from the Ambien. Which Ambien are you taking? There is one that is suppose to help you stay asleep, I believe it is Ambien CR.

Have you tried some of the other sleep aides? I know there are several prescription ones out there -- don't know much about them though.
sleepycarol said:
Okay -- thought it might be that you might be having some side effects from the Ambien. Which Ambien are you taking? There is one that is suppose to help you stay asleep, I believe it is Ambien CR.

Have you tried some of the other sleep aides? I know there are several prescription ones out there -- don't know much about them though.

I am not sure if I have the CR but I will look into it. I might want to try Lunesta. My doc gave it to me for cemo induced insomnia a few years ago and from what I recall it worked well.
I have a really hard time getting over jet lag, primarily staying asleep once I get home. I tried Ambien, but it just made me hallucinate (really trippy, but not helpful). The doc gave me Trazodone, which has worked wonders for me. It isn't as fast-acting as Ambien, but it does help me sleep all night. It is normally an anti-depressant, but for insomnia they give you a much smaller dose.
I use Trazadone for sleep as well.....I suffer from severe insomnia this has helped me so much to get to sleep and stay asleep....before my diagnosis and during my cpap therapy.....I have been able to reduce my dosage since my cpap therapy--hopefully I will be able to get off them eventually.....the best part is this is not addictive....I have not experienced any re-bound insomnia since reducing my dosage.....

Like Andrea this has done wonders for my sleep.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service