Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

BeeAsleep posted a status
"Hi all. I am just checking in and saying hi after being gone for a long time. I am doing GREAT! Just got a new machine and mask. Feel like I"
Jan 23
BeeAsleep updated their profile
Jan 23
99 replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"Do not turn light on as this hinder you from falling asleep or choose red light instead which do not afect your sleep"
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for Joan Williams Rice
"Hi Joan visiting pelham and I have osa"
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for martha crabtree
"Hi maths visiting pelham "
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for Rhonda Harrison
"Hi Rhondda I am visiting pelham and have osa "
Oct 27, 2015
99 posted a discussion

Leaky gut

Do you have a leaky gutHow would you knowA telltale sign for leaky gut is Athletes footI wish to ask do you have or suffer from itThe reason I ask is maybe this is a common denominatorJust text yes or text noAnd if you are the first to text also keep a tallyExample38 yes 0 noYour input would alter the tally39 yes 0 noSo now I will input first1 yes. 0 noSee More
Sep 26, 2015
richard graham posted a status
"For the first time in a while I got a whole night sleep with my machine but woke up beat and left side of my head feels weird, not sure if"
Sep 2, 2015
Brendan Duffy posted a status
"How did you slhttp://blog.aastweb.org/winners-and-losers-food-for-thought-sleep-and-athletic-success?utm_campaign=subscribers&utm_source=hs_"
Jul 9, 2015
Pat Kniel updated their profile
Jul 7, 2015
ZolliStar replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"I'm wondering: what prompted you to consider whether you have sleep apnea in the first place? Also, waking throughout the night isn't uncommon especially as we (*sigh*) age.  I seem to every 90 minutes or so. This pattern probably…"
Jun 27, 2015
ZolliStar replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"You can try this website:  http://zyppah.com/ I have a MAD (mandibular advancement device). Dr. Steven Park evaluated my mouth and throat (not everyone can use a MAD, it turns out) and pronounced me a candidate for it. The truth?  I…"
Jun 27, 2015
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"The link didn't work so me so I couldn't see the product.  I do have experience with a supposedly reliable boil and bite device.  I should know by now I have a small mouth and nothing regular size fits.  I don't think…"
Jun 27, 2015
richard graham replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"If I thought something could work other than this lousy cpap that would be awesome"
May 22, 2015
richard graham posted a status
"I moved and have been sick a lot and can't use cpap because of cough and I'm depressed a lot"
Apr 26, 2015
Fred posted a discussion

CPAP - cure worse than the disease

It's ironic that before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2000, I had no problem sleeping 8-9 hours a night. If I did wake up during the night, I had no problem falling right back to sleep, and I wasn't tired during the day.From the first night I brought home the CPAP I haven't had one decent night's sleep. Not one. I don't have any problem falling asleep, but I can't stay asleep. At first I was waking up after 4-5 hours and couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Now it's more like…See More
Apr 13, 2015
Fred updated their profile
Apr 13, 2015
ZolliStar posted a discussion

New mouth device on the market

I've been hearing advertising for this product over the past few days.  It's sold as something to help snoring, but as I look at the information it seems to me that it would work just as well as my mandibular advancement device (MAD).In other words, this could help some of us with sleep apnea.Read about it here.Anybody have any thoughts about this?  See More
Mar 31, 2015
99 replied to Mary Z's discussion AHI finally under five.
"Hi Richard I mainly use an empty humidifier as it reduces noise"
Feb 16, 2015
richard graham left a comment for richard graham
"When I can afford it I'd like to get New machine with heated tube"
Feb 10, 2015
My eye doctor told me I have high blood pressure because the vessels in my eyes keep bursting. I look like I have been in a bar fight, and lost! I do not have daytime high blood pressure 119/70. Do you think I could have high blood pressure at night from my Mixed Sleep Apnea? Has anyone else had this happen?

I have recently been diagnosed with asthma and GERD as well. Are all of these conditions tied together somehow?

I have only been using the CPAP with the nasal pillows for about 1 1/2 weeks. I was (am) so embarrassed to wear the mask in front of my husband. It has been very emotional and upsetting so far. I ama glad I found a forum that helps people like us. It feels very isolating using the CPAP.

Thanks for your help.

Views: 1614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you have mixed apnea you need to work closely with your doctor to get the maximum benefit from therapy. I am lucky as mine is just plain old fashioned obstructive sleep apnea.
BeeAlseep wrote, "My eye doctor told me I have high blood pressure because the vessels in my eyes keep bursting. I look like I have been in a bar fight, and lost! I do not have daytime high blood pressure 119/70."

I think you are having an affair! True story from about 15 years ago, we saw an article in the newspaper that said broken blood vessels often occur when having sex, especially with a new partner. The guys in the office laughed about the article.

I swear this is the truth. Two weeks after we had seen the article, our IT Manager took a three-day weekend to go deer hunting. When he returned to the office he had a large broken vessel in one eye. Boy did we give it to him about his dear hunting weekend! :)

Here is what WikiAnswers has to say, "this can be caused by extremely high blood pressure (especially when BP is elevated rapidly). For instance, it could be anything from crying too hard, forceful vomiting or dry heaving. In more frequent cases, medical issues such as hypertension or diabetes can cause the blood vessels in the eyes to break. Diabetic retinopathy is one of the more serious conditions and if this is even a possibliity you should see a doctor."

I have also heard weightlifters say they get them lifting, especially if they hold their breath (a no-no) when doing a heavy lift.

I used to get them and it could have been my undiagnosed sleep apnea. But I also used to lead a wilder life. :)

Good luck,
WOW, I sure wish I had YOUR life! But, alas, I don't. smiles. I had a older male doctor tell me the same thing about having sex about 20 years ago. I was much younger then, and I remember coming close to smacking him upside the head. I wasn't swinging upside down from the curtains! Smiles.

Well, I have had every eye scan possible and the only thing they can tell me is blood pressure. I have been tested for diabetes and my sugar and blood pressure are normal. I personally think it was the undiagnosed sleep apnea. I wake up tight and tense with muscle pain and teeth grinding and headaches and crazy eyeballs. Unless I am SLEEP walking at night and having a good ole' time!

Banyon said:
BeeAlseep wrote, "My eye doctor told me I have high blood pressure because the vessels in my eyes keep bursting. I look like I have been in a bar fight, and lost! I do not have daytime high blood pressure 119/70."

I think you are having an affair! True story from about 15 years ago, we saw an article in the newspaper that said broken blood vessels often occur when having sex, especially with a new partner. The guys in the office laughed about the article.

I swear this is the truth. Two weeks after we had seen the article, our IT Manager took a three-day weekend to go deer hunting. When he returned to the office he had a large broken vessel in one eye. Boy did we give it to him about his dear hunting weekend! :)

Here is what WikiAnswers has to say, "this can be caused by extremely high blood pressure (especially when BP is elevated rapidly). For instance, it could be anything from crying too hard, forceful vomiting or dry heaving. In more frequent cases, medical issues such as hypertension or diabetes can cause the blood vessels in the eyes to break. Diabetic retinopathy is one of the more serious conditions and if this is even a possibliity you should see a doctor."

I have also heard weightlifters say they get them lifting, especially if they hold their breath (a no-no) when doing a heavy lift.

I used to get them and it could have been my undiagnosed sleep apnea. But I also used to lead a wilder life. :)

Good luck,
Thanks so much for your help. I am printing out your reply and making sure I have it with me when I talk to the RT this week. I go in for a follow up appt at Natl Jewish in Denver in a week as well. I will make sure I get the right machine. I would have never known how to take care of myself without this forum. I feel so blessed to have found this. By the way, I found your site on an ad in Facebook.
Judy said:
GERD and Reflux ARE related to and CAN CAUSE asthma over a prolonged period of time.

Whether you are put on a Bi-PAP or not I would return that Escape and INSIST on at the very least the Resmed S8 Elite or S8 Elite II, both of which have EPR and are fully data capable.

If you have Mixed Apnea you may well end up on a VPAP or BiPAP ASV. Resmed's ASV was specifically developed for Central Apnea/Cheyn-Stokes Syndrome. I'd ask what brand and model they intended to provide, tell them to wait a minute, run home and check that model out online - and similar models - then go back and tell them whether I would accept it - or wouldn't accept it because it wasn't fully data capable. Just because a device has a data card does NOT mean it is fully data capable.

Also, just a prolonged coughing spree or hard cough can rupture blood vessels in the eye. I don' t know if that holds true for sneezing or not.
Also I cough a LOT from my asthma...that could have broken my blood vessels in my eyes as well. Now I know to use my rescue inhaler when I start coughing like that.

BeeAsleep said:
Thanks so much for your help. I am printing out your reply and making sure I have it with me when I talk to the RT this week. I go in for a follow up appt at Natl Jewish in Denver in a week as well. I will make sure I get the right machine. I would have never known how to take care of myself without this forum. I feel so blessed to have found this. By the way, I found your site on an ad in Facebook.
Judy said:
GERD and Reflux ARE related to and CAN CAUSE asthma over a prolonged period of time.

Whether you are put on a Bi-PAP or not I would return that Escape and INSIST on at the very least the Resmed S8 Elite or S8 Elite II, both of which have EPR and are fully data capable.

If you have Mixed Apnea you may well end up on a VPAP or BiPAP ASV. Resmed's ASV was specifically developed for Central Apnea/Cheyn-Stokes Syndrome. I'd ask what brand and model they intended to provide, tell them to wait a minute, run home and check that model out online - and similar models - then go back and tell them whether I would accept it - or wouldn't accept it because it wasn't fully data capable. Just because a device has a data card does NOT mean it is fully data capable.

Also, just a prolonged coughing spree or hard cough can rupture blood vessels in the eye. I don' t know if that holds true for sneezing or not.
Judy, why is it important to have a machine that is fully data capable and what exactly does that mean?

Judy said:
GERD and Reflux ARE related to and CAN CAUSE asthma over a prolonged period of time.

Whether you are put on a Bi-PAP or not I would return that Escape and INSIST on at the very least the Resmed S8 Elite or S8 Elite II, both of which have EPR and are fully data capable.

If you have Mixed Apnea you may well end up on a VPAP or BiPAP ASV. Resmed's ASV was specifically developed for Central Apnea/Cheyn-Stokes Syndrome. I'd ask what brand and model they intended to provide, tell them to wait a minute, run home and check that model out online - and similar models - then go back and tell them whether I would accept it - or wouldn't accept it because it wasn't fully data capable. Just because a device has a data card does NOT mean it is fully data capable.

Also, just a prolonged coughing spree or hard cough can rupture blood vessels in the eye. I don' t know if that holds true for sneezing or not.
Fully data capable means that the xPAP is capable of reporting your Pressure, Leak, AHI and AI as well as the number of hours and nights used. The number of hours and nights used are the Compliance Data which is of absolutely no value to you but only to the local DME supplier as proof for your insurance that you are using the xPAP they are paying for and ensuring that the DME supplier gets their insurance money.

That Pressure, Leak, AHI and AI data can given indications of how well you are responding to therapy - and more importantly - can provide important clues as to why you are NOT responding as well as expected to xPAP therapy. It can also be encouraging for us to see some actual data to verify that we really are feeling better and its not just our imagination - or vice versa, it is not just our imagination that we are NOT getting the benefit of therapy we should be getting.

Your Humidaire 3i integrated humidifier will be compatable w/the Elite so it is only the Escape you would want to return to exchange for the Elite.

The nice thing about the Elite (other than the excellent therapy it provides) is the easy access to and the amount of data available via the LCD screen every morning before noon. These devices have an internal, 24 hour, noon to noon, clock so we have to access the nightly data before noon as at noon the night's data is rolled over into the total averages. And once we've used it long enough we can also access the weekly, monthly, 6 month and yearly data averages via the LCD screen as well.

My personal opinion is that they shouldn't even build or provide anything less than a fully data capable xPAP.
Thanks so much. I feel better prepared to take charge of my own health by asking intelligent informed questions of my RT and Physician. :>D

Judy said:
Fully data capable means that the xPAP is capable of reporting your Pressure, Leak, AHI and AI as well as the number of hours and nights used. The number of hours and nights used are the Compliance Data which is of absolutely no value to you but only to the local DME supplier as proof for your insurance that you are using the xPAP they are paying for and ensuring that the DME supplier gets their insurance money.

That Pressure, Leak, AHI and AI data can given indications of how well you are responding to therapy - and more importantly - can provide important clues as to why you are NOT responding as well as expected to xPAP therapy. It can also be encouraging for us to see some actual data to verify that we really are feeling better and its not just our imagination - or vice versa, it is not just our imagination that we are NOT getting the benefit of therapy we should be getting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2016   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service