Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I think I read about this on another site. My apologies if this is a repost here.

I am one of those who gets a lot of redness and irritation on the bridge of my nose from my mask. Moleskin has worked the best so far, but some days the bridge of my nose is an angry red (What happened to your nose? comments). There is a product called "Comfort Care Sleep Comfort Care Pad" available on cpap.com (maybe other places). It is "hypoallergenic, silicone and latex free". I just got mine yesterday- a small size as I wear a small quattro. I still seems to be too wide and I may have to cut it down. I didn't try it last night as it has a funny smell and is going to require a mirror and a few minutes of fitting/adjusting time. I'm soaking it in baking soda for a while today to see if I can get rid of the smell. It is a "polymer gel composed of USP grade mineral oil", supposed to last 30 days: also "mosturizes by gradually and constantly diffusing onto the skin". Cost $15.00 plus shipping. Came quickly.
I heard pros and cons about it, but it certainly may be worth trying. I'll report back on how it works.

Mary Zimlich

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting. Yes, please keep us posted on this product. Many have trouble with the full face masks and this maybe help some.
After the first night I am pleased, The redness will probably take a few days to completely go away, but if this product doesn't cause problems with leaks it may be my answer. I use a Mirage Quattro. I'll keep you posted.

Mary Zimlich
The smell is the mineral oil. The mineral oil was put in for moisturizing. Trying to soak the pad in something to remove the mineral oil is counterproductive. Begin to think of that smell as something that is good for you and good for the skin on the bridge of your nose. Convert the smell into a comforting smell.
Thanks, Banyon I did (had already) soaked it in some baking soda and water and it does smell better- not like the plastic packaging. Still has plenty of mineral oil in it from what I can feel. Won't soak it again.
I battle with leaks and this item sticks out slightly from the sides of my mask which I figured would be a good thing as it would help the pad stay anchored. However, and this is just a couple of nights, my leaks got worse. I would have thought that since the pad is so soft and pliable that the mask would seal around it no problem. I'm going to trim the sides a bit so they don't stick out beyond the mask and see how that works. The good thing about it is that when I take it off in the morning it doesn't take skin off with it like moleskin or paper tape will do.
Mary Z

Banyon said:
The smell is the mineral oil. The mineral oil was put in for moisturizing. Trying to soak the pad in something to remove the mineral oil is counterproductive. Begin to think of that smell as something that is good for you and good for the skin on the bridge of your nose. Convert the smell into a comforting smell.
Well so far the sleep comfort pad has not been any help, in fact my nose is worse. I don't understand- the pad is so soft I don't know why my nose continues to be red with skin breakdown. My nose was better before I started to use the Sleep Comfort pad. My leaks do seem to be worse, but it just may be time for a new mask. I'm really disappointed as this looked and felt like it would be the answer. I think it's still worth a try for others with the same problem. The pad actually came from cpapusa.com, not cpap.com. One other problem with the pad. I wash my mask seal every morning with Ivory hand soap and it looks clean, but by night time it's showing an oily residue that I assume comes from the mineral oil in the pad.
Mary Z.
Mary Z said:
I wash my mask seal every morning with Ivory hand soap and it looks clean, but by night time it's showing an oily residue that I assume comes from the mineral oil in the pad.
Mary Z.

It seems easy enough to overcome this objection by storing the pad where it is not in contact with the mask when not in use.
Well, actually, Banyon, I do store them separately. I've just been rewashing the affected area of the mask again before bed.
I do think the pad has promise. Maybe I just need to get my nose totally cleared up and then try it again.
Thanks,
Mary Z.

Banyon said:
Mary Z said:
I wash my mask seal every morning with Ivory hand soap and it looks clean, but by night time it's showing an oily residue that I assume comes from the mineral oil in the pad.
Mary Z.

It seems easy enough to overcome this objection by storing the pad where it is not in contact with the mask when not in use.
I've bought so many gadgets that don't work, I hate to buy another to later put in a drawer, so I will continue to watch your posts.

Mary Z said:
Well, actually, Banyon, I do store them separately. I've just been rewashing the affected area of the mask again before bed.
I do think the pad has promise. Maybe I just need to get my nose totally cleared up and then try it again.
Thanks,
Mary Z.

Banyon said:
Mary Z said:
Mary Z.

Try putting the moleskin sticky side on your mask cushion rather than on your nose skin. Let the soft "skin" of the moleskin rest on your nose instead of the sticky side on your nose.
I just started using the Full Life full face mask this week (Monday) and after the first night I noticed the soreness on the bridge of my nose. I knew I needed to find something to address the pressure point but was not able to find a workable solution after the first night. So I resorted to using a Band-aid on night 2. Didn't help much.

Today I learned about the Sleep Comfort Care Pad, orderedt on-line and paid for next day delivery. Tonight I'll be using another kind of Band-Aid designed to be padding on blistered areas. Hopefully that will help more than just the plain Band-Aid.

I'm really hoping the Comfort Care Pad helps.

Will keep you posted.
Just a thought - this pad with mineral oil would probably not be safe for those apneans using an "oxygen bleed" through their CPAP due to the mineral oil. I was warned by my DME to not even use a lip balm or any other product with mineral oil around the oxygen concentrator due to potential hazard of combustability. If anyone can confirm that, I would appreciate the feedback.

I have not tried any full face masks other than in my sleep study, which for me was counter productive for my AHI. I am wondering if I will need one of these eventually, but so far am having good luck with nasal pillows. I do have a sensitive nose bridge which makes me reluctant to try the full mask also. That red nose sounds so painful and frustratiing! How long did it take to get that bad?
My mask as well kills my nose too I thought it was only me havin this problem but i see iam not the only one and be being a woman of color it tends to make the skin kind of dark but sore to the touch , but after a few hours it wears off , but thanks for this information

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service