Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

ZolliStar posted a discussion
Sunday
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"I talked to Kimberlie at the Novant Sleep lab last week (at Prince William Hospital) and she said they would not be holding any meetings this year but are planning to start holding meetings again next year.  I'll let you know when we have…"
Jul 14
richard graham posted a status
"I just have mask called the Wisp. Hope it works. Anybody have experience with it. I have an ultra mirage nasal mask and get leaks at brid"
Jul 9
Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??

Hi All,First off, my apologies for not checking in for a long time.I've been using my Resmed S8 AutoSet II for almost 3 years! I feel great, have lost almost 30 lbs, am no longer sleepy during the day, sleep through the night, and have my short-term memory back.Yay!I've told my doctors that I'm the "poster child" for Sleep Apnea and CPAPs! It's been, and continues to be, such an amazing experience that I want everyone to know!Everything has been going well in CPAP-land, but in the last few…See More
Jul 7
hifay replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"What type of chin straps?"
Jul 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"No real improvement in sleep study.  Just not having to use cervical neck color.  What a bummer. Surgeon wants another sleep study in about a month or so (home one) Not sure if will do or not. "
Jun 22
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Ginny, how are you doing after the tongue procedure?"
Jun 22
Mary Z posted a discussion

AHI finally under five.

I have been on CPAP since March 2008 and had a good AHI when I started therapy (under 5).Then my AHI started getting worse- for a while it stayed in the 20's, then we got it to the high teens.  Nothing we did would help.  My doctor said it was due to the meds I take.  For a couple of years I just tolerated the high AHI.  I did another sleep study and changed to an ASV machine.  For two years I still had a AHI around 11-13.  Then all of a sudden - a month ago I noticed my AHI was running five or…See More
Jun 22
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"FWIW, I've been alternating between my mouth device and my APAP. I haven't used humidity at all when I use the APAP -- and don't miss it, either. "
Jun 14
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I still use humidity but less of it. It seems to be working OK.."
Jun 14
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I rarely use the humidifier. I think it's less necessary during the summer when there is humidity.   I also switch between my mouth device and the APAP.  I like each for different reasons. Not sure with which I sleep better, though.…"
May 21
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I've been doing well.  I think you were going to try the cpap without humidity- did that help at all?  I haven't had a cold for a couple of years."
May 14
Ginny Edmundson replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"CPAP seems to cause stuffiness in many of us.  ANother reason I hate it so much!Do you rinse your nose with saline once a day…maybe before you go to bed for the night? "
May 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I do wake up stuffed up most days"
May 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I do have non allergic rhinitis. Now I'm thinking that's probably it because I only feel that way for a day or 2. Thank you"
May 4
Ginny Edmundson replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I have been lucky.  Not one cold past three years. Could some of your problem be allergies?"
May 4
richard graham posted a discussion

sick again

It seems like I am sick with colds more often when I'm on the CPAP. Anybody experience that.
Apr 30
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"As of now I no longer have to use a chin strap.  I am anxious about the sleep study.  Wondering if I will be able to sleep WITHOUT the CPAP….even thought I hate it it is a part of every night now and is what I am used to.  "
Apr 20
Clueless in Redwood Shores replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"I had it on the same outpatient basis.  Much pain, no long term gain.  I did not have the annual repetition - that might or might not have made the difference. "
Apr 20
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"glad to hear it, Richard.  Keep us posted."
Apr 13
Does anyone here understand how the mechanic of ASV differs from CPAP?

Tags: ASV, CPAP

Views: 2257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yer yoking, right??? I'm still struggling to understand the Resmed VPAP Auto (bi-level auto) and I also have a Respironics pre-M Series Bi-PAP Auto w/Bi-Flex as a backup that I hope I never have to tangle w/and try to use!!! I did take it in and have my local DME supplier set it according to my in-lab titration but .... its the one I'm hoping to get the "stench" out of. The Adapt SV is some type of even more sophisticated bi-level I think.

I'll put Rock Hinkle on the spot:

He has the Resmed VPAP Adapt SV Clinicians Manual (in all fairness he only received it w/in the last 2 days or so) so maybe he'd like to stick his neck out and explain the differences and maybe he'll want to pass until he has a chance to study it a bit.

Daniel Levy should be able to explain perhaps since he is a DME supplier and I would expect will have had more experience w/them than Rock Hinkle who is a PSGT working on getting his RPSGT.
have learned that ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilation) machines are basically bilevel machines with the added ability to adjust IPAP upward very rapidly (within one breath) if the sleeper looks like they won't reach the target volume or flow that the machine has been tracking.
I've actually asked this question of sleep doctors before and drawn either blank stares or assurances that the technological differences are so complex that i could not possibly understand them. perhaps so, but if a sleep doc has a command of the difference in the algorithms, then he should be able to explain it on some basic level to the lay person.

Mike said:
have learned that ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilation) machines are basically bilevel machines with the added ability to adjust IPAP upward very rapidly (within one breath) if the sleeper looks like they won't reach the target volume or flow that the machine has been tracking.
The CPAP Provides a Constant Pressure this is quite effective for obstructive sleep Apnea. ASV in human terms will adjust the inhalation pressure so it will macth the normal breathing of the patient. This machine is for ones who have Complex Sleep Apnea ( Central Sleep Apnea). This is once again keeping it simlpe, is where the brain stops, or forgets to breathe.
so, if the machine notes a decraese in breathing..... it will turn up the pressure until the patient matches that pressure. then it will return to the standard presure (VEEP). I have only had to use an ASV a few times in the past year. Central sleep Apnea is not as common as Obstructive, and Bi-Level covers the patients who can not adapt tp CPAP. The reason that Sv's wont work for CPAP patients is the VEEP. This is your inhalation pressure on most machines this can not be set above 10cm/h20...... Some patients need much more than that to control their Apnea.
are you using VEEP interchangeably with IPAP?

Duane McDade said:
The reason that Sv's wont work for CPAP patients is the VEEP. This is your inhalation pressure on most machines this can not be set above 10cm/h20...... Some patients need much more than that to control their Apnea.
no the veep is all you can adjust..... the IPAP is on autopilot.

Mike said:
are you using VEEP interchangeably with IPAP?

Duane McDade said:
The reason that Sv's wont work for CPAP patients is the VEEP. This is your inhalation pressure on most machines this can not be set above 10cm/h20...... Some patients need much more than that to control their Apnea.
the veep is the exhalation pressure.

Duane McDade said:
no the veep is all you can adjust..... the IPAP is on autopilot.

Mike said:
are you using VEEP interchangeably with IPAP?

Duane McDade said:
The reason that Sv's wont work for CPAP patients is the VEEP. This is your inhalation pressure on most machines this can not be set above 10cm/h20...... Some patients need much more than that to control their Apnea.
With a SV machine only 1 pressure is adjusted to titrate the Clomplex Sleep Apnea Patient this is the VEEP. This is the exhalation pressure. This pressure stays the same and the Inhalation prussure varies as to the patients needs ....to control or flatten out the Central Apneas.
NO WAY! I have barely seen these machines. Let alone understand them. I have learned more about them from this forum than anywhere else I have looked. Even reading the manual(which I have not yet) without ever using the machine I would not even try to explain the differences between the 2. So Judy I will stay off center stage for this one.

Judy said:
Yer yoking, right??? I'm still struggling to understand the Resmed VPAP Auto (bi-level auto) and I also have a Respironics pre-M Series Bi-PAP Auto w/Bi-Flex as a backup that I hope I never have to tangle w/and try to use!!! I did take it in and have my local DME supplier set it according to my in-lab titration but .... its the one I'm hoping to get the "stench" out of. The Adapt SV is some type of even more sophisticated bi-level I think.

I'll put Rock Hinkle on the spot:

He has the Resmed VPAP Adapt SV Clinicians Manual (in all fairness he only received it w/in the last 2 days or so) so maybe he'd like to stick his neck out and explain the differences and maybe he'll want to pass until he has a chance to study it a bit.

Daniel Levy should be able to explain perhaps since he is a DME supplier and I would expect will have had more experience w/them than Rock Hinkle who is a PSGT working on getting his RPSGT.
How does an ASV or any auto titrating machine know the difference between OSA or CSA? if a pt is only wearing a mask what is the determining factor? How can a machine with one standard for biometric feed back tell if there is blockage or a complete lack of respiratory effort?

Duane McDade said:
The CPAP Provides a Constant Pressure this is quite effective for obstructive sleep Apnea. ASV in human terms will adjust the inhalation pressure so it will macth the normal breathing of the patient. This machine is for ones who have Complex Sleep Apnea ( Central Sleep Apnea). This is once again keeping it simlpe, is where the brain stops, or forgets to breathe.
so, if the machine notes a decraese in breathing..... it will turn up the pressure until the patient matches that pressure. then it will return to the standard presure (VEEP). I have only had to use an ASV a few times in the past year. Central sleep Apnea is not as common as Obstructive, and Bi-Level covers the patients who can not adapt tp CPAP. The reason that Sv's wont work for CPAP patients is the VEEP. This is your inhalation pressure on most machines this can not be set above 10cm/h20...... Some patients need much more than that to control their Apnea.
Rock, i have a ton of respect for you as a professional for coming forward and admitting to not knowing something. any professional can try to talk one step ahead of a lay person and pull the wool over his eyes as to knowing his stuff -- it takes a true pro to know when he knows or doesn't know something, and being willing to admit it.

Rock Hinkle said:
NO WAY! I have barely seen these machines. Let alone understand them. I have learned more about them from this forum than anywhere else I have looked. Even reading the manual(which I have not yet) without ever using the machine I would not even try to explain the differences between the 2. So Judy I will stay off center stage for this one.

Judy said:
Yer yoking, right??? I'm still struggling to understand the Resmed VPAP Auto (bi-level auto) and I also have a Respironics pre-M Series Bi-PAP Auto w/Bi-Flex as a backup that I hope I never have to tangle w/and try to use!!! I did take it in and have my local DME supplier set it according to my in-lab titration but .... its the one I'm hoping to get the "stench" out of. The Adapt SV is some type of even more sophisticated bi-level I think.

I'll put Rock Hinkle on the spot:

He has the Resmed VPAP Adapt SV Clinicians Manual (in all fairness he only received it w/in the last 2 days or so) so maybe he'd like to stick his neck out and explain the differences and maybe he'll want to pass until he has a chance to study it a bit.

Daniel Levy should be able to explain perhaps since he is a DME supplier and I would expect will have had more experience w/them than Rock Hinkle who is a PSGT working on getting his RPSGT.
this is worthy of its own thread, which i will break out on its own now.

Rock Hinkle said:
How does an ASV or any auto titrating machine know the difference between OSA or CSA? if a pt is only wearing a mask what is the determining factor? How can a machine with one standard for biometric feed back tell if there is blockage or a complete lack of respiratory effort?

Duane McDade said:
The CPAP Provides a Constant Pressure this is quite effective for obstructive sleep Apnea. ASV in human terms will adjust the inhalation pressure so it will macth the normal breathing of the patient. This machine is for ones who have Complex Sleep Apnea ( Central Sleep Apnea). This is once again keeping it simlpe, is where the brain stops, or forgets to breathe.
so, if the machine notes a decraese in breathing..... it will turn up the pressure until the patient matches that pressure. then it will return to the standard presure (VEEP). I have only had to use an ASV a few times in the past year. Central sleep Apnea is not as common as Obstructive, and Bi-Level covers the patients who can not adapt tp CPAP. The reason that Sv's wont work for CPAP patients is the VEEP. This is your inhalation pressure on most machines this can not be set above 10cm/h20...... Some patients need much more than that to control their Apnea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service