Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I have used CPAP. I've heard about APAP, but I'm not sure how that differs. Just now, I read there's a BPAP. Are there any others?!

I've been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea fairly recently. Admittedly, I am overweight. I'm in the middle of my 57th year of life, and I'm a woman. I had the chance to use the CPAP for two months earlier this year. Then I lost my insurance. We now have a new insurance company. I called and asked if they cover CPAP. Yes, they do. So I called my doctor's office and requested they get the ball rolling for this. Should I be trying an APAP instead of CPAP? Is one preferable? I really didn't see any improvement in my energy level. It was still difficult to get out of bed in the morning. The pressure setting started at 5. After a month it was raised to...I'm trying to remember....it might've been 7 or 7.5. I saw no difference. The pulmonologist who diagnosed my sleep apnea based on the sleep study results is also the same one who I saw for follow-up. After looking at the data from the CPAP, which I used faithfully each night, he said I was having frequent occurrences. (although they were slight) That's when he raised the pressure to a slightly higher setting. At any rate, I only asked my insurance company if they cover the CPAP. Should I ask about APAP or BPAP? I wonder how much my doctor (PCP) knows about these things.

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's good to know. Thanks, Judy.

Judy said:
The Resmed S8 AutoSet Vantage is one heck of a GOOD fully data capable APAP. I have one. It sounds then like this will be a loaner APAP for an auto-titration at home for a couple of weeks or a month. If it is to be just a loaner and after they've gotten some data for a couple of weeks are going to exchange it for a straight CPAP then the Resmed S8 Elite II w/EPR would be an excellent choice. It is fully data capable. Of course, if you can keep the Vantage so much the better. I was started on the Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR and it was an excellent device. I actually felt bad when I sold it I had gotten so attached to it! I had self-purchased a slightly used Vantage so I'd have a backup/travel device too. But then I was switched to a bi-level and had liked my Resmeds so much I insisted on the Resmed VPAP Auto that I have now.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service