Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"BluePoint Medical* holding their next Remedy event on June 4 with Terry Cralle, RN on "Sleep in the Mordern Family".  They will also be checking CPAP machines and providing breakfast. Click on link above for more…"
May 7
Dan Lyons posted a discussion

CPAP & Dry Mouth

In recent months, I have developed extreme dry mouth as a result of the CPAP.  I am a mouth breather when using CPAP.Recently, I saw an advertisement for the symptoms of dry mouth, but as usual, when I need the information to have a discussion with both my primary care  physician and my dentist I haven't seen the ad. Has anyone else seen the ad and can anyone remember the info in the ad?Thanks in advance,DanSee More
Mar 30
richard graham posted a status
"My deductible is double what a machine is online but I can't get the machine set up. Any ideas?"
Mar 10
BeeAsleep posted a status
"Hi all. I am just checking in and saying hi after being gone for a long time. I am doing GREAT! Just got a new machine and mask. Feel like I"
Jan 23
BeeAsleep updated their profile
Jan 23
99 replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"Do not turn light on as this hinder you from falling asleep or choose red light instead which do not afect your sleep"
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for Joan Williams Rice
"Hi Joan visiting pelham and I have osa"
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for martha crabtree
"Hi maths visiting pelham "
Oct 27, 2015
99 left a comment for Rhonda Harrison
"Hi Rhondda I am visiting pelham and have osa "
Oct 27, 2015
99 posted a discussion

Leaky gut

Do you have a leaky gutHow would you knowA telltale sign for leaky gut is Athletes footI wish to ask do you have or suffer from itThe reason I ask is maybe this is a common denominatorJust text yes or text noAnd if you are the first to text also keep a tallyExample38 yes 0 noYour input would alter the tally39 yes 0 noSo now I will input first1 yes. 0 noSee More
Sep 26, 2015
richard graham posted a status
"For the first time in a while I got a whole night sleep with my machine but woke up beat and left side of my head feels weird, not sure if"
Sep 2, 2015
Brendan Duffy posted a status
"How did you slhttp://blog.aastweb.org/winners-and-losers-food-for-thought-sleep-and-athletic-success?utm_campaign=subscribers&utm_source=hs_"
Jul 9, 2015
Pat Kniel updated their profile
Jul 7, 2015
ZolliStar replied to Fred's discussion CPAP - cure worse than the disease
"I'm wondering: what prompted you to consider whether you have sleep apnea in the first place? Also, waking throughout the night isn't uncommon especially as we (*sigh*) age.  I seem to every 90 minutes or so. This pattern probably…"
Jun 27, 2015
ZolliStar replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"You can try this website:  http://zyppah.com/ I have a MAD (mandibular advancement device). Dr. Steven Park evaluated my mouth and throat (not everyone can use a MAD, it turns out) and pronounced me a candidate for it. The truth?  I…"
Jun 27, 2015
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"The link didn't work so me so I couldn't see the product.  I do have experience with a supposedly reliable boil and bite device.  I should know by now I have a small mouth and nothing regular size fits.  I don't think…"
Jun 27, 2015
richard graham replied to ZolliStar's discussion New mouth device on the market
"If I thought something could work other than this lousy cpap that would be awesome"
May 22, 2015
richard graham posted a status
"I moved and have been sick a lot and can't use cpap because of cough and I'm depressed a lot"
Apr 26, 2015
Fred posted a discussion

CPAP - cure worse than the disease

It's ironic that before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2000, I had no problem sleeping 8-9 hours a night. If I did wake up during the night, I had no problem falling right back to sleep, and I wasn't tired during the day.From the first night I brought home the CPAP I haven't had one decent night's sleep. Not one. I don't have any problem falling asleep, but I can't stay asleep. At first I was waking up after 4-5 hours and couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Now it's more like…See More
Apr 13, 2015
Fred updated their profile
Apr 13, 2015

It's been 3 months for me trying to find a mask that fits without leaking.  I started out with nasal masks until I discovered I sleep with my mouth open.  Then I tried at least 3-4 full face masks until my swap trial period of 30 days ran out.  I even bought my own FitLife Mask from a discount place and still get leaks when I turn around.  Apparently I am a fitful sleeper.  I called my sleep doc and he has no open appointments until March 20 that was made for me three months ago.  I've tried every suggestion made here without success.

My last two resorts are www.padacheek.com/index.html.

  I just spoke to the woman who has sleep apnea herself and started making the pads because she had the same problem we all seem to have.  I ordered one last week to fit around my FitLife but she told me today that although many of her customers have said it does help with the leak problem, it was made to stop the face marks.  She does make an anti-leak pad that fits ResMed Mirage Quattro, Quattro FX, Ultra Mirage Full Face and Fisher Paykel 431 and 432 and Forma and Phillips Respironics Comfort Fusion and Comfort Gel Full Face Mask. (I cut and pasted the above) I ordered one because the last mask I got from my medical supply is a Quattro FX for Her. Hopefully it will stop the leaks.

I have no interest in this or any other business.  I am just another woman with sleep apnea who is having a hard time getting a mask that fits and allows me to get a good night's sleep.  If in the meantime I can help someone else with the same problems I'm having, that's great.  For other newbies who might be having the same fitting problems I am and discovered to their surprise that there are multiple masks out there but was never told that,  I suggest looking up www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-trials.html.   Mary Z from our group gave me that site address.  You can "borrow" for one week any mask you'd like to try.  Unfortunately the two I requested last week didn't fit me but since he sends a prepaid return postage stamp it was easy to send back. 

That's all the new info I have learned from my own experience.  I hope it helps a newbie like me who feels discouraged and doesn't know what to do next.  My biggest mistake was waiting too long to call my doctor instead of relying on my supply carrier.  I asked for the doctor to call me back today and I sure hope he does.  As of last night I gave up with all the masks and slept without one.  I just can't deal with this problem another night.

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rita:

Some people are lucky and find a mask right away. I think I may have found a mask with minimal leaks, but I am in my 5th year of trying. Somewhere on this website is a discussion or a video on how to properly put your mask on and make adjustments which definitely has helped me. I am currently using a ResMed Quattro FX and the Sleep Guide instructions told me to turn the machine on first before adjusting the mask. This seems to have made a big difference. I have also shaved my beard a lot shorter which I know won't help you, but I think the former hint may work.

I am not sure if I would ever order equipment through the mail or online after my experiences. I personally think you need to be fitted by a technician who job is to do this on a daily basis. I would Google to see if there are some medical suppliers in the local area with good reputations and multiple stores. I am very fortunate to have a regional supplier that covers VT and NH as we are a rural area here in the Northeast Kingdom of VT. I have been able to do multiple exchanges during these 4+ years at no cost to me other than my time. The mask suppliers also are supposed to have very good policies about exchanges.

Good luck with your search.

Gordon H.

P. S. I just came back to edit my post. I found the How to Fit a Mask Properly. This was posted 07/09/09 by RockRpsgt. Currently, this is on the top of my discussion lists.

You might want to try a bite guard, which you can get at a drugstore for $20 or so. It repositions your jaw a little and may keep your mouth from opening.

  • Hi Gordon ~ Lord, I hope it doesn't take me 5 years to find a mask.  By that time I'll be 81 years old and probably dead and buried!  ;-)
  • I did see the video by RockRpsgt and followed his instructions but they didn't work for me no matter how many times I tried them.
  • I also have the same mask you do, only it's made for a woman.  It just came out.  I have no clue what the difference is...I think yours has a guard across the forehead and mine doesn't.
  • Since I'm weaning off an antidepressant and feeling the effects now that I'm on a low dosage, I think I'm going to put the masks aside for another week.  I can only deal with one thing at a time.
  • Funny thing just happened...my sleep apnea doc just called and wants me to call his consultant tomorrow morning and make an appointment to come in to see if there is something else we can try.  What that something else is I have no idea.  At least something is being done.  Hope it works...

  •  
    Gordon H said:

Hi Rita:

Some people are lucky and find a mask right away. I think I may have found a mask with minimal leaks, but I am in my 5th year of trying. Somewhere on this website is a discussion or a video on how to properly put your mask on and make adjustments which definitely has helped me. I am currently using a ResMed Quattro FX and the Sleep Guide instructions told me to turn the machine on first before adjusting the mask. This seems to have made a big difference. I have also shaved my beard a lot shorter which I know won't help you, but I think the former hint may work.

I am not sure if I would ever order equipment through the mail or online after my experiences. I personally think you need to be fitted by a technician who job is to do this on a daily basis. I would Google to see if there are some medical suppliers in the local area with good reputations and multiple stores. I am very fortunate to have a regional supplier that covers VT and NH as we are a rural area here in the Northeast Kingdom of VT. I have been able to do multiple exchanges during these 4+ years at no cost to me other than my time. The mask suppliers also are supposed to have very good policies about exchanges.

Good luck with your search.

Gordon H.

P. S. I just came back to edit my post. I found the How to Fit a Mask Properly. This was posted 07/09/09 by RockRpsgt. Currently, this is on the top of my discussion lists.

Thanks for replying, Nunya.  My sleep doc just called and I'm supposed to make an appointment tomorrow to go in to see his consultant.


 
Nunya Bizness said:

You might want to try a bite guard, which you can get at a drugstore for $20 or so. It repositions your jaw a little and may keep your mouth from opening.

Rita, It's good you got an earlier appointment, I know what it's like tapering down on antidepressants, I have cut mine in half since Christmas and get all the side effects each time I go down or up. If you are not using the mask, in the short term can you prop yourself up in a chair and sleep, it may not be comfortable but my help your apnea. When you see the consultant make sure they test the mask lying down, turning etc. Also have the pressure on your highset setting for a while. It sounds like the shape of your face is causing the problems.

Terry, I tried sleeping without the mask but by midnight or so I gave up.  I just couldn't sleep right. I took a good look at my mask and would you believe I found part of the silicone edges around the mask were not in their proper grove.  I wash my mask every week but wipe it out with capap wipes every morning.  Somehow I didn't check my mask somewhere between washing it or wiping it out.  I bet that problem was there for days.  Remember, I'm a newbie at this but learning new things every day.  I don't believe I ever saw any literature that said to check to be sure the edges were in the right groves if there was loud leaking sounds.  I know it says to be sure it's put together right but I never saw it said the silicone part of the mask could come out of the edge of the mask any time you use it.  I guess I'm just dumb or something but I learned my lesson.  I fixed it and had hardly any leaking sounds last night. 

I am waiting for some pads to come that are put around the mask.  I'll let everyone know how it works and if it makes any difference.  Now I have to learn to relax with the whole procedure instead of waiting for something to go wrong.


 
Terry Vella said:

Rita, It's good you got an earlier appointment, I know what it's like tapering down on antidepressants, I have cut mine in half since Christmas and get all the side effects each time I go down or up. If you are not using the mask, in the short term can you prop yourself up in a chair and sleep, it may not be comfortable but my help your apnea. When you see the consultant make sure they test the mask lying down, turning etc. Also have the pressure on your highset setting for a while. It sounds like the shape of your face is causing the problems.
Rita, well done, we all make mistakes at the start. I over filled my humidifier once and got covered in water, I only did it once. I wash all my equipment once a week as well and really have to concentrate on putting every bit back as it was. Keep at it and let us know how you go.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2016   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service