Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I imagine that there is another discussion that answers this question, but I can't seem to find one with the search function, so...

What are the meanings of AHI, AI, HI, etc. All the abbreviations on my machine, I would like to understand better. And what is the difference between AI and HI? My HI has gotten higher with my full face mask, so I'm concerned.

Thanks.

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No worries, Elaine. We should feature this more prominently somewhere. You can find some of that info in the New Users group, or the Collective Wisdom Group, or under the FAQ tab in the top nav. But I'm happy to explain:

AHI - Apnea Hypopnea Index -- a measure of how often, on average over the course of an hour, you either stop breathing (apnea) or have insufficiently shallow breathing (hypopnea) for a duration of more than 10 seconds at a time

AI - Apnea Index -- a measure of how often, on average over the course of an hour, you stop breathing (apnea) for a duration of more than 10 seconds at a time

HI - Hypopnea Index -- a measure of how often, on average over the course of an hour, you have insufficiently shallow breathing (hypopnea) for a duration of more than 10 seconds at a time
Thanks, Mike!

Now, any idea why my HI would increase with a change from a nasal to full face mask?
honest, i'm stumped by that question. i don't know why a switch to a full face mask would cause an increase in # of hypopneas. perhaps someone wiser than i will know the answer to that very good question...

Elaine Hooton said:
Thanks, Mike!

Now, any idea why my HI would increase with a change from a nasal to full face mask?
There are a number of possibilities. If you have a ResMed device, it wants to know what type of mask you are using, so it can calculate the numbers a little differently. Some people feel that when you switch from a nasal to a Full Face Mask, you should get a new titration, since the flow of air is so different that it is conceivable that your pressure needs may be different.
Elaine,
What machine are you using? I am wondering if it might have something to do with the mask setup with the machine. I know with my Resmed S8 (s), you need to enter the mask type (i.e; FF, nasal, etc.) you are using so the unit can auto adjust the pressure setting to match your prescribed setting.
I have changed the mask type in the clinical menu to Mirage full. I have the Mirage Quattro and the RedMed s8 Autoset with humidifier.
Elaine, Why did you make the switch? Mask Leaks occur much more often with a full face mask thus, is you are leaking more you will report more hyponeas. What is the average leak on your report has that gone up. Are there any other increase that you have seen on the report. can you email the report from your computer? Gerry
Unfortunately, I just recently figured out how to read this info. Before I figured it out, I thought that I was mouth breathing because I was waking up with a dry mouth. So, I tried a chin strap and it was painful for me. I already have jaw issues. So I asked for the full face mask. THEN I found out how to view my results. Now I wish I had stayed with the Activa, but it's too late for now. I think I can switch in like a month and a half. :( Until then I have to try to work with it. I wish I had more detailed results from the Activa to go by. I didn't even write them down, but I remember the HI was low ( I think below 1) the AI was like 2 something I think, and the leak late was only .8. Those are all averages over a month.

Now, my HI averages 4.5, my AI is .5 and my leak is 2.2.

I don't know of a way to e-mail a report. Is there a way with my machine to get my results on my computer? From what I've read, I didn't think there was. (ResMed S8 Autoset) I was thinking of starting a graph, though.

So, you are saying it is probably because of the leak that the HI has gone up? If so, is it because I am have HI's or just because the machine is misreading because of the leak?

One last note: last night my leak rate was much better. It was under one (I really need to start graphing so I can remember). But my HI was still 4.5.

Gerry Moore RRT said:
Elaine, Why did you make the switch? Mask Leaks occur much more often with a full face mask thus, is you are leaking more you will report more hyponeas. What is the average leak on your report has that gone up. Are there any other increase that you have seen on the report. can you email the report from your computer? Gerry
Dispite the numbers for now, are you feeling better at all? Why will your supplier not allow you to switch back? What are your machine settings? Are you looking at this data on a download from the rescan software on your computer? Gerry
I'm not feeling better yet. Well, not consistently. I was able to get up this morning, but was back in bed an hour later.
My insurance covers a new mask every 3 months and I passed the ten day mark to return this one. Maybe if I asked, I don't really know. I'm looking at this from the screen of the machine each morning (in the clinician menu). Settings...My pressure is 7. I'm not sure what other settings you mean.

Here are the averages I have from the machine right now:

Average of past week:
Leak: .22
AHI: 4.5
AI: .4
HI: 4.0

Average of past month:
Leak: .12
AHI: 3.6
AI: .2
HI: 3.2

I've been using the new mask for about a (hmm, maybe it hasn't been 10 days...) week. And I guess the HI hasn't gone up as much as I thought. I had better call and see if I can switch back. What do you think from this vague info?

GerryMooreRRTdotcom said:
Dispite the numbers for now, are you feeling better at all? Why will your supplier not allow you to switch back? What are your machine settings? Are you looking at this data on a download from the rescan software on your computer? Gerry
Well the AHI seems a little high, Too bad that you where switched off the mask so quick, well I think if this company that you are working with should help you as much as possible. there is a 30 day period where most manufacturers will take the mask back no problem through the vendor you are working with. But I would help you with as many mask changes that are required here. Can you give me a brief history of your therapy so far, time you started and who and how you were diagnosed? Gerry
I knew my husband needed to be tested for years. I finally convinced him and at the same time, my mother told me that my father's depression was helped when he went on CPAP. I have depression and fatigue, so I decided to get tested at the same time.

We went to a sleep doctor, Sleep Diagnostics of Mid-Michigan in Saginaw, Mi. The Doctor is very nice, but also busy. We were tested starting in January. We had a sleep study and then the titration. His was obvious. I was more difficult. I ended up doing a regular sleep study and then a MSLT. The doctor was amazed at my ability to fall asleep so quickly so many times. The longest it took me was 9 minutes, but it usually was more like 4 during the MSLT. But no narcolepsy. Then I had my titration. My machine tells me it's now been 57 days since I've had the CPAP. I've used it 47 of those days. A few days I was sick and felt like the pressure was giving me an earache. Anyway, I'm on mask 4 from the DME. The guy is nice, but the last time wasn't helpful and seemed annoyed with me! I can't remember my first mask, but my second was the Mirage Micro I think, then I tried the Activa. I really liked that one, but I needed a size small and had a medium. And that is when I thought I was opening my mouth and asked to try a chin strap. I have bruxism, however, and that causes jaw pain. I couldn't handle the pressure from the strap. So to me the logical step was a full face mask. I am kinda flying by the seat of my pants and botching it. But otherwise, it would be even worse. I have seen the doc again once, but only briefly and didn't get a chance to really ask the questions I wanted. I REALLY want this to work! I appreciate everyone's help! Thank you!
I think I covered everything...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service